5k+ 202 series can try 110hz now. beta testing firmware to be released after CES

Do you have P5k+ with 202 serial?

Yes. The latest software just made the 120hz mode show up for me. But its just black screen if i enable that mode.

4 Likes

If it’s any consolation I live with black dots called “floaters” in my left eye that would take what could be described as experimental surgery to hopefully lessen or get rid of them.

1 Like

Played with 120 Hz on the latest PT yesterday. 120 a little smoother but not worth the fov trade off for me.
That said I can’t tell 72Hz (where I play) from 90 at all so my lower sensitivity isn’t necessarily the gauge. For me though -not a game changer. I don’t see using it.

1 Like

Did you guys ever hear of a similar refresh rate boost for the 8k?
When I say similar I dont expect 120hz, but 90?

3 Likes

Do you mean the difference from Largest FOV at 90hz to Largest FOV 120hz?
I find it rather similar- it’s still bigger then the middle FOV with 90hz and just a bit smaller then actuall largest imho.
Edit: I can set largest and 120hz or at least it kept it that way for me …
Edit 2: Just noticed that with the new PITool I can’t set that any more … ok strange (edit the way it’s supposed to be but on first release that still worked for me)

1 Like

I find the scuba mask effect annoying at 120 Hz. Worse than my CV1. I can’t set 120 large either.

2 Likes

Hmm it’s still definitiv larger then all my previous HMDs, sure it did not swap to small? In steam VR, if I look at the corner left of the big screen, I can see almost two rows of games on the smaller side screen in large and now the second row most left is cut so that about 1/3 still show, not that much smaller and still in The peripheral part of the view.

I will try putting numbers to it tonight but I guess they will be the same - someone did test it on the first release if I remember correctly…

1 Like

It’s really personal when it comes to trade offs. For me it’s not the lessened fov. It’s the increased scuba mask affect. Even my smaller fov CV1 doesn’t have that much border. 72 Hz Normal is ideal for me.

2 Likes

Definitely!
I am just wondering since I don’t have that feeling that it’s such a severe reduction- still very much larger then my Odyssee or the Dell I had and I have been playing large about 90% of the time - on the other hand 120hz is nice but my old brain is fine with 72 or even 60 depending on the game ( some times even less then that)

2 Likes

It’s not the reduction, it’s the increase in border mask. My CV1 has less fov and doesn’t bother me because I see less border in it.
For me reducing the fov to get Hz, I don’t need, defeats the purpose for which I back the headset in the first place. :smile:

2 Likes

With my index, I’ve done 80hz and 144hz, and for me, the difference, while noticeable, isn’t earth shattering, and for me not worth giving up things like FOV or greatly lowered graphical settings to maintain it.

I could see it being a bit of an advantage in close quarter twitch shooter type games, where you are constantly checking your 6 and whipping your head around non-stop, but while I do a bit of pavlov, I do way more racing and flight sims, which don’t have nearly that level of fast moving objects that you track across your visual field at high speed as you might in games like pavlov.

Everyone prioritizes different aspects of VR though, and I know some people much prefer 120/144hz vs wider FOV or lowered settings. Not me though.

3 Likes

I want them aaawll. (whines like a dog teased with a juicy treat :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

The difference isn’t really noticable. I went back to 90Hz, because I enjoy the higher FOV ten times more than the small-FOV (130° as DrWilken confirmed) 120Hz-mode.

Don’t break a sweat over this, you’re not missing anything when you have SN202.

3 Likes

Am I the only one who does notice a difference between oculus cv 1 90hz and Pimax Xr 82hz lol
The Cv1 feels so much more smoother than Pimax Xr

( Playing on rtx 2080 ti and i9 9900k)

2 Likes

Unless you have logged the frametimes for a minute in the same scenario on both headsets, it’ll be just an assumption that this is due to a less stable frametime on the more demanding Pimax. Only then it’ll be certainty.

1 Like

both headsets had locked framrate without any frame drops . ( 90 and 82 fps)

2 Likes

Okay.
Well I do see a difference between 90Hz to 120Hz, no doubt. But it’s not worth the limitation in FOV, in my opinion. Especially considering that the latest PiTool only allows “Normal” FOV with 120Hz …

…and the selection for 120Hz’ “Wide” FOV is missing.

4 Likes

My 202 has 120hz selectable with the latest firmware but it leads to black displays only. I am not bothered though. I play large FOV only. I rather go down to 72hz than to normal FOV.

2 Likes

If it was full for and full brightness yes. The smoothness feels really good, but I just can’t bring myself to sacrifice full five for it. I like the idea of pimax dedicating a model aimed at being the high refresh rate of the family of products, but the feature feels incomplete without the aforementioned.

1 Like