5k+ 202 series can try 110hz now. beta testing firmware to be released after CES

This is Pimax in a nutshell. If it wasn’t for the pimax misplaced surveys debacle i would definitely have had the same issue. Being pushed to the back of the line turned out to be a blessing.

But Pimax should fix this and do the right thing, and allow you to RMA. Maybe they are hoping to pull a Valve and call it a feature and hope it goes away quietly.

Agree, I only use it in games where I think I can actually get 120 or 60 . But man its a nice feature to have. I’m actually going to be bummed when I have to sell it to afford my 8kX

https://community.openmr.ai/t/latest-pitool-196-beta-crashes-on-startup/22991/61?u=drwilken

Large in 120Hz is what I use. It’s 132° horizontal (compared to 140 on normal FoV in the other refresh rates).

UPDATE:

2 Likes

I think only if the 120Hz was actually advertised on amazon at that time. Let’s not forget 120Hz is not feature promised even by kickstarter, it is just bonus. I think in this case it would be wrong to persecute Pimax even if it can’t work on all revisions. At the end it can make them hesitant to add new (previously not promised) features in future.

Today they do actually advertise 5k+ as 120Hz model, so if someone buys now and it does not have it then it is a real reason to complain.

7 Likes

This is a problematic situation.

3 Likes

I have “202” version from the KS. I am not that upset about the missing 120 Hz, because you are right, it was not advertised. I am however pretty upset about the black dots, which also were not advertised on the KS and which make themselves obvious every time I run ED.

Do you remember “no black dot policy” Pimax came up right after the black dots were a thing, which later was “clarified” to be “no dead pixel policy”, which was later “clarified” to be “some dead pixel policy”, which later was changed to “would you rather a have a coupon?”.

Pimax never acknowledged there was a problem with the displays, but silently changed them in “203” version. This is the reason I believe we actually should make a case from 120 Hz and hold Pimax responsible for what they did back then.

6 Likes

On black dots I agree, I would be disappointed myself if I had them and seen them. And yes that black dot → dead pixel policy is just one of the many Pimax failed attempts of damage control.

Not everyone sees them equally though, OP did not mention them at all so I don’t think they were issue. But now he knows and I am sure he will find them :-).

Actually they did say it was a panel property; which was true. Berlin Backer Meetup didn’t find it as an issue during that time. Sweviver reported after he was home about it. It was discovered later that the panels had inconsistencies in the Black dots & a number of them where out of spec.

Other members even before Valve stated it was a panel property. Also said Quest has them as well.

1 Like

It would be at full fov 120hz

I have black dots in my right eye but I didn’t know that 203 series resolved this problem. I didn’t even know there are 202 and 203 series untill they released 120hz update :slightly_frowning_face:

So what? Because it was called a “property” it automatically justified it? If it was indeed the property (and an acceptable one) they would not have changed the panels in a short time after. This was clearly just another blunder from Pimax (following their 4K panels for 8K).

I am not sure why you are keeping trying to marginalize it like it is indeed an acceptable property of the VR panel. Have you seen it? Have you seen Index or Quest (which you claim have it too)? I did, and have not noticed anything. I have even seen P5K+ which did not have them.

6 Likes

No one did. (20charcharchar)

Because it was known just after the Berlin Backer meet prior to folks switching. I had one from the first Batch & the dots were not that prominent. It was other members of the forum that stated the quest has them.

@neal_white_iii posted recently what the black dots are a side effect of improving panel properties.

Unlike Valve; whom just said it’s not an issue live with it. When it was discovered there was a wider variance in acceptable Black Dot size. They did do exchanges. And yes they did change panels as many companies switch suppliers when a supplier’s quality becomes unreliable. It wouldn’t surprise me if the Cables are from a different source.

Same as most don’t know how many Console versions of a Game console or Graphics card; Cars etc.

Someone said something interesting recently & does hold truth.

For black dots? I created the ticket as soon as I got the headset. It was in limbo for month or two, then closed by someone from Pimax without any explanation. When I asked for an explanation, no one replied.

4 Likes

So you didn’t continue to persue it? 🤦 Most didn’t let it close until they had some resolution.

It was clear that they were either incompetent or did not give a f*ck. Either way, pursuing it would have been just waste of time. I was waiting for EU center to hopefully solve it with them.

However, if you really need to continue this way, suggesting that I am somehow responsible for what Pimax did (or did not), then I guess we may as well stop it here.

1 Like

You need to not presume things not said. All I said was those whom had a real passion for the black dots made sure they had some kind of resolution.

Waiting for the NA or EU warehouse to sort it out later is unlikely to be effective to resolve an issue that was allowed to be closed.

It would be at full fov 120hz

1 Like

Anyone else getting a black screen in 120 with the new update? Now that we finally have the option it doesnt seem to work for me :slight_smile: