Yet another 8K vs 5K+ question

Now that I’ve the Samsung OD+ I can tell you that sharpness and resolution is also killing immersion it not just one or the other but SDE is the first one. Now I want more sharpness and no SDE, so neither 5k+ or 8K seems to fit the bill now.

Part for amusement Desktop use is limited and maybe it’s not so healthy to add to VR hours.

1 Like

If you use normal FOV in Hellblade will it be as clear as low FOV ?

You have to increase the SuperSampling in SteamVR for Samsung Odyssey+.

In theory, 8K should like you.
8K, though not as clear as 5K +, but it should be clearer than the Odyssey, while having a minimum and close SDE to Odyssey +.

1 Like

i made the switch too the 5kplus,but i think i maybe most contact support and get the 8k…
or leave it this way??

Look through the lens on the 8K in this nice @Ludiks video.
Maybe this will help you decide.

1 Like

Lucky’s tale looks & plays well. Keep in mind Seb sees a wobble on the 8k that no one else seems to see.

2 Likes

Yes & no. Text in the tunnel & full screen letters & the reconstruction portal is not in convergence. You’d need to close one eye …

Parallel Projection needs to be on & doesn’t fix that. But otherwise looks ok. Need Astronaut to fix.

1 Like

Some programs the FoV is being forced. Ethan Carter demonstrates this on both. You can run it on the bigger FoV but the menu text bevomes wavy & the in gsme textures look terrible.

2 Likes

Not convinced by screen shots, I can see scan doubling artifact, only 80hz, 8K not fixable, 5k+ could maybe improved with DIY diffusion filter. With the large FOV real resolution 5K+/8K=2560/170=15 OD+=1600/100 = 16 will be about the same better for Pimax because we loose resolution because of the filter on the OD+

On OD+ the screens shot I saw are in direct relation with what I see in the headset and what I want, so yes screen shots are usefully but you must interpret them

1 Like

Diy filter will require a teardown not just popping the lense out & could be performed on both.

And you can’t fix the low vertical res on the 5k+

2 Likes

Haha, we are on the same boat…

At the end I think i will trust my guts on this one and go with the 5K+. Based on the reviews of @mixedrealityTV and @SweViver (thanks for those guys), the 5K+ seems more appealing to me.

For example on this video from seb (Pimax 8K vs Pimax 5k Plus: SDE & Quality Comparison At Maximum Quality Settings & Supersampling On - YouTube) I keep on preferring the image from the 5K+ (by a lot).

It will be impossible for me to be 100% sure of my decision and will continue on doubting it. To make a clear decision, i would need to test both… But i can’t.

I do am annoyed sometimes by the SDE but it will be better than what we are used to with the Vive or even (maybe) the vive pro.

I feel like the 8K may have some potential to distance itself from the 5K+ due to the lens resolution, but is limited by its input signal. So all can be done is to improve the upscaler and this comes at a cost in my opinion (GPU Consumption). (and i dont plan on upgrading my 1080TI anytime soon)

Stay tune for my next change of opinion :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

Yes but you can’t unblurr the 8K, but for must people if SDE is your main concern take the 8K, if it’s sharpness take the 5K+

If it’s both and you can’t try it, roll a dice :wink:

1 Like

Depends on Rendering. The 4k is not bad in sharpness. & the 8k is not as blurred as ppl seem to think.

Crank the Sharpness on your TV & you get 5k.

Too sharp unreal too soft unreal. Needs to be balanced & atm neither are. But the 8k can be sharpened & the 5k can be softened.

3 Likes

Yes and the 8K used this same input low vertical resolution so only benefit would be less SDE which is achievable with a diffusion filter.

Like I said you’d need to see it. 5k+ Stacked Vertical lines. The filter won’t fix that. Upscaling works quite well on rgst detail.

I found Pimax Dev realy quiet, any news of a new Pitool with brightness and color adjustment?

1 Like

Nothing I have heard. & if tge firmware poke is true the 5k+ color cannot be fixed up to the 8k level.

There are a few options that eould improve both if can be implemented. Like brightness & Sharp slider.

Yes, it will be more challenging the diagonal pattern of OLED pentil display is more adapted. But you can still see SDE on the 8K… so their a room in between

Meant horizontal lines.

But the point is you can see SDE on the pimax 4k as well & it uses a different panel rainbow RGB. The 8k is considerably less than the 5k+. If your vision is good enough to see.

Now if you want something neat for sde checkout Allegiant(sp?) Media headset with limited FoV using Dlp with no SDE reports say. But not made for vr.

2 Likes