Xunshu said update this week?

Axacuatl the biggest flaw I’m worried about is the black levels of the panels. What did you think of them on the V2?

Well, I had a Fruit Ninja demo, so I fear that did not really give me any chance to check out the V2’s particular performance on that level.

But perhaps I would not be the most critical user anyhow. As an owner of both the Rift and Vive I could not even say what I think of the black levels on those two, and how they compare to each other.

In any case, neither the black level nor the brightness (latter I did pay a bit of attention to) worried me after my demo. I believe this may be one of the issues which are not universally experienced the same, but depend very much on the individual.

Which may be a fact which contributed to the beta testers having identified issues Pimax did not see ?

Well in terms of black levels from all the reviews I’ve seen the Samsung Odyssey is winning that font. Black is true black which looks like the panel is off. The Vive pro screens are slightly over driven giving them less depth. LCD panels suffer big time from grayed out blacks. Just like grey scale on projectors. Standing on a busy show floor you wont notice these things

My vive has errors. The ipd interface will sometimes pop up as if I have touched the dial. Steam is pushing error fixes in half their updates. I’m OK with not perfect. If there is barrel distortion the software can be adjusted down the line to compensate. As long as the hardware is solid abs software is updateable I would say I am more than happy with what I have heard as of late.

3 Likes

Hi Davobkk,

1 - it’s one thing to announced a new LCD panel and another to produce them in mass at a reasonable cost . Are you sure that Samsung has allocated this new FAB?

2- even in 6 month were do you see an 200 degres VR headset at an “affordable” price???

Not saying that Pimax shouldn’t deliver now but a part from my personnel eagerness I don’t see anything new revolutionary headset this year

I think the Gen 2 headsets won’t match the Pimax 8k specs anyway. I mean look at Oculus’s Varifocal headset. It’s “only” 140 degrees and I don’t think we even know what the screen resolution or optics are.

1 Like

That varifocus thingy will be incredibly cool though. I’d rather hae that than 200 fov.

2 Likes

I wish oculus went with base station style tracking with the next HMD instead of cameras. That is the only thing I do not like about oculus.

1 Like

Yes, it’s cool, but mechanical stuff like that can be problematic and more importantly, adds to the cost.

Personally, even if higher res panels become available, I think they will likely be more expensive and require a GPU of the “enthusiast” variety. It seems like most other VR vendors are perusing “mass market” (cheap) headsets. I think it will be a while (at least a year), before we see alternatives to the 8K available at a reasonable price.

I’m no expert but packing 2K*2K pixel in a 3.25inch die is quite a feat. I don’t think yield will be so high in the first years of production this means pricey $$$ panels

1 Like

Well my wallet will cry but the tech and experience will still be mucho coolo

It’s cool but you can do Depth of Field to some extent with eye tracking and software afaik.

1 Like

What are you saying? the earth is flat

The biggest issue is they went on to kickstarter when they had a skeleton of a product. I get all the good vibes around waiting for the best product, but it has already been delayed by 8 months with no release date in sight. The updates are not consistent in terms of information.

Not that we can do anything about it. We just have to wait it out, but I do feel cheated… Worst will be If they release a subpar product after such long wait!

Let’s wait and hope it is worth our time and maybe money.

1 Like

My rift does that If I shake my head. Most annoying.

2 Likes

i wont lie to you that sure sounds a lot like kickstarter to me, except they are actually making measurable progress and actually look to release a product.

3 Likes

Hearhear! Hearhear! Hearhear! :clap:

The Kickstarter turned out to be WAY more successful than Pimax was hoping for. If they had only gotten a few 100 thousands of dollars, they would have HAD to have used one of the earlier lens designs and they would have made a few hundred inferior headsets and shipped them by now.

When the KS was incredibly successful and they got $15 million in additional funding, they decided that they could make the headset that they were dreaming of, but it takes time to do it right.

Agreed. Let’s hope it will be worth the wait. If it’s worth the wait, imo, it will certainly be worth the money.

12 Likes

So already Friday, seems like we wont get aswell any updates today!! @deletedpimaxrep1 come on already…really, keep us in the dark more?!

Allocen, If I have to name one most impatient person I have seen in 20 years, it’s probably you sir.

12 Likes