Woohoo! Pimax 8KX is happening!

It probably will not appear on Amazon in 2020.

5 Likes

Sitting here waiting for my X.

4 Likes

@SweViver, assuming that I were to use Pitool render quality 1.0, what is the lowest resolution setting for SteamVR supersampling that I can set to achieve native resolution for the 8KX? I’m try to see how well I’ll be able to run the 8KX using a 2700x and 1080Ti.

1 Like

I can answer that. 4K is 3840x2160, so adjust your super-sampling until you get a vertical height of ~2160 pixels.

[update] It looks like the above info is CORRECT. See https://community.openmr.ai/t/woohoo-pimax-8kx-is-happening/28237/57?u=neal_white_iii for details.

It looks like there might have been a change in SteamVR or maybe PiTool 260, but to me, it looks like SteamVR “Resolution Per Eye” should just be set to 100% and then set SS to 100%. I’m using Normal FOV and the vertical res in SteamVR at 100% is a little less than 2160 (2080). I’m using a Vertical Offset, so your value may vary.

4 Likes

I hope you get some chances to keep your DCS performance spreadsheet updated with the new pitool drivers and such! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

No, all headsets need more than native setting to achieve native after the transform, setting your render res to 2160 will mean that after the warping the image sent to the headset will have less than 2160 pixels being sent.

3 Likes

10 Likes

Buy from Pimax website :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

New PiTool version does not impact my spreadsheet unless it has some new features like GPU Catalyst (which is already included), or unless the version has severe regressions (in which case, avoid it). The numbers remain the same.

What changes with stereoscopy in the 8kX is not the range (>>400m already with 5k+), but the immersive realism of it. Going from the 5k+ to the 8kX is like the transition from desktop monitor to VR all over again.

You could have judged the relative 3D positions of objects while coming in for a DCS World carrier landing (by the way, the ‘ball’ is much more readable), or looking at the Elite Dangerous 3D radar, just about the same. But now, all the 3D stuff around you doesn’t feel like cardboard. This is downright amazing in DCS World when you are looking back at your wings, or in roomscale/PavlovVR/HLAlyx when looking at vegetation.

5 Likes

How much more, though? I’m hoping not in the greater than 2000s range for the vertical height, as thats a tremendously greater amount of pixels by comparison.

Do you have any evidence that extra pixels are rendered, instead of simply discarded at the center/edges after some stretching? Because all my data strongly supports the latter conclusion for both the 5k+ and especially the 8kX.

Also, with this NOT FINAL 8kX unit, even at “Large” FOV setting, I still see at least slightly rounded corners at the far edges. Not square like in the 5k+. It is possible this is due to the distortion correction, or a glitch from the firmware, which is also NOT FINAL. In any case, IIRC statements by Pimax personnel have suggested the 8kX distortion correction is more efficient, ‘wasting’ fewer pixels.

3 Likes

Hey Kevin,

would you guys consider selling extended warranty for 24 months? It could be a card to purchase in the store, bound to the account.

There is actually some monetization potential within that for you guys, while the case decision remains with you.

And the customer could buy some security for single cases, for their expensive devices.

Information feedback from: We have more than a dozen VR users in our Flight Simulator Group, and the discussion and consensus for most was “I want to hold off until we can buy locally for extended warranty, I’m willing to pay more for that”.

8 Likes

you have to buy it in Europe then 2 years are legally guaranteed otherwise paying 1300 Euros and having only 1 year garanty is insane!

1 Like

Initially I didn’t know whether to answer in detail, but I should: What you say is generally true.

Personally, I have lots of reach in the Flight Sim Community though, so I’m not worried for myself. Anyway, cordial behavior is preferred. Free market agreements are always better than trying to enforce anything via strong regulation, in my opinion. And they come from another corner of the world, where things run differently.

I am aware of the German / European laws in the BGB, §365 BGB extends it towards the manufacturer, even if your contract is with the local seller. Which also force Pimax to keep 2 years warranty even if you buy it from them in China via their webstore, via an offset company, a local seller, or anywhere. Even if they declared with “1-year only” - that is beaten by European Law and German Law. The subsumtion states that the place of the customer counts, as he buys it while in Europe. Also if you buy locally. Using a local seller is not a magic bullet. If Pimax would break that for EU customers, you could easily open a title here in Germany (making your case of course), wait 3 months, then is valid for the EU and use that title to even confiscate their stuff if they were to host an event anywhere in the EU. You’d just need to visit that and call the police to get the direction to someone to enforce it ad-hoc. All cities do have that option here, and villages in the district. You have companies you can sell that title to for an offset, they make a living of such things. But that’s extremely idiosyncratic thinking to begin with. Such a case would wave across the internet as the biggest PR blunder in VR-history. I am certain they are aware of that anyway and would never do that. Who would, that’s crazy. Pimax may be new to the international stage, especially the European one, but they’re not stupid. Law differentiates between seller and manufacturer, but §365 BGB extends it to the manufacturer. Amazon is just very cordial, extremely so, and you pay with increased prices for their service to cover that risk.

There is a lot of monetization potential in selling extended warranty periods, and individual cases of unlucky customers profit from it as well. Everybody shakes hands and everyone is pleased in case something goes wrong too. All stakeholders pleased is an entirely different PR direction too.

These are my thoughts on it.

P.S.: On another note, getting knowledge regarding your own rights is very important in general and helpful in life. For example, I have beaten UPS who wanted to charge me extra for handling my RMA’d Pimax through customs. With a single subsumtion.

P.P.S.: When is Pimax NOW event?! Hyped, haha :grin:

5 Likes

Yes many of the pixels are “wasted” by the transform, thats exactly how all headsets work - I can well imagine that Pimax’s correction is more efficient vertically as its a very wide FOV, but I was responding to someone who said that setting your supersampling to 2160 will give you 1:1 native pixels, which iirc is not correct even assuming a very efficient transform algo.

1 Like

Ok then. From the behavior of PiTool/SteamVR and the visual quality experiments I have done, I am inferring that the distortion correction is mostly a barrel distortion ‘transform’. At the center, where it counts, 2160v pixels are used to show 2160v pixels - it is 1:1 or very close. At the edges - where the optics are not very clear anyway - 2160v pixels are compressed to something smaller - maybe 1800v pixels.

From a practical standpoint, I think it should be entirely possible, and from my experiments I think it is the case, that setting a vertical resolution of 2160v results in native resolution at the center where it counts.

This could however, be yet another explanation as to why rendering 1440v in the 5k+ looks worse than doing so in the 8kX. And it may contribute negatively to the ‘sweet spot’ effect, further degrading resolution out to the edges of the display. If significant, it may also explain why wider FOV headsets with larger lenses have larger ‘sweet spots’ - the focal length would need to be longer thus reducing distortion.

3 Likes

So, what would be the ideal SteamVR supersampling resolution to target given Pitool render quality 1.0? Just anything with 2160 vertically?

1 Like

The issue is enforcement - you may be right, but Pimax will simply not provide warranty and you won‘t be doing anything about it, trust me.

Better to wait & buy from a local retailer - let them have the discussion with Pimax.

3 Likes

Good news it seems. I hope y’all early backers and others enjoy yours. I am very jealous.

I may see if some scoundrel wants to sell theirs on eBay. I doubt it. But one can dream

1 Like