Woohoo! Pimax 8KX is happening!

I’ll be sending thank you cards when you guys take my loaner. Also GREAT JOB EVERYONE!!!

3 Likes

Too much information… :see_no_evil: :laughing: :wink:

7 Likes

Yeah. That can cause complications… :exploding_head::grin:

5 Likes

:joy:

I‘ll leave it as it is, as a monument to my amorous prowess

11 Likes

When can we reasonably expect the 8K-X in Amazon ?

Alternatively, will Pimax be able to ship to Brazil directly (like it did with the 5k, 8k etc) ?

With the Reverb G2 coming, although i REALLY want to grab the 8K-X, i can’t buy both, so i must decide based in the strengths and weaknesses of them.

5 Likes

Maybe best to wait for the reviews

7 Likes

I just hope that the quality assurance team thoroughly tested the 8KX to highest standards to minimise RMA. On my 5K+ unit I have to RMA twice. Still, the 3rd unit has developed a slight crack on the case, but not effecting the performance. Pimax has offer me 2 options. At the end we resolve with a free silicon case and comfort kit instead of sending back for another unit.

5 Likes

Did you want that on the Amazon website or in the Amazon Rainforest? :laughing:

6 Likes

I’m going to wait until a new gpu comes out that can handle it before I buy one

3 Likes

The 8KX can already handle most games with a 2080 Ti. Watch this video:

5 Likes

There are good reasons to expect the 8kX will still be significantly higher optical quality for simulators like DCS World and X-Plane or apps like Virtual Desktop. In case that applies to you.

6 Likes

The ‘can my GPU handle an 8kX’ debate has become completely pointless. My experiments clearly show much lower GPU requirements for the 8kX, due to reduced supersampling required.

Which is probably also the reason desktop gaming with monitors did not start with supersampling the way VR has.

6 Likes

I have a 2080 super. Rather have it run smooth and on max settings

Hi Martin… We met at CES last January where I extensively tried the 8KX and ordered one there and then as I was blown away by it but at the time you and your staff told me I’d get it by early April… Ordering at that time can you tell me a more accurate time I can expect to receive mine in the US? Thank you

3 Likes

Must say I am really keen to see what the higher resolution does for effective stereoscopy range.

4 Likes

I’m not affiliated with Pimax at all, but we know that they’re going to start shipping to backers about mid-June, so I would suspect yours would ship, say, late-July to mid-August. They might be quicker, but best to temper expectations, especially with Coronavirus afoot.

2 Likes

3 basestations improves the quality of tracking in Eleven Table Tennis when you are at a high level in the game.

It’s almost one to one with real table tennis - the ball travels very quickly and being a couple of millimetres off means you can lose the point.

4 Likes

Where are these experiments at, again? I’d like to take a look.

I’ve played around with it myself a bit. In VRChat, raising the supersampling level to around the same value within a 2% margin of error that SweViver used his his desktop text comparison video, I got these values for GPU frametimes in game (1080Ti):

empty Room of the Rain:

Vive 100% SS: 5.8ms - 8.1ms
Vive 480% SS: 12.1ms - 20.4ms

empty The Black Cat:

Vive 100% SS: 9ms - 17ms
Vive 480% SS: 18ms - 32ms

Some maps routinely hit the upper 20ms to low 30ms range. I was constantly hovering around 40fps. I almost never was able to consistently maintain the 75fps target. If the rumors turn out to be true that the 3080Ti is a 50% (or even 40%) boost upon the 2080Ti, and the 2080Ti is ~20-30% better than the 1080Ti, then the 3080Ti should be almost double the performance of the 1080Ti overall. That would put me exactly where I’d need to be to get comfortable framerates in the 8KX.

1 Like
6 Likes

That’s my understanding. I’m in a (roughly) comparable situation. I have a 2080, which has similar performance to the 1080 Ti, so I’m strongly considering an upgrade (even though I usually wait for 2 GPU generations before I upgrade). The 30xx series appears to be very strong.

4 Likes