Windows 10 VR optimisation guides

WARNING advice, don’t use the script if you’re using a WMR headset , because it also disables Windows Mixed Reality portal and disrupts any WMR headset from working well.

This is definitely not something to suggest if you are not practical with powershell commands and how to do things in windows, definitely not for the common user…

4 Likes

The old version of this script didn’t remove WMR for me… so I re-ran the new script and it did remove WMR. However, once I plugged in my Odyssey, Windows asked me to install Windows Mixed Reality like it did the very first time I plugged in my headset. I did… it works fine. To further test… I removed WMR from Windows again by running the script a second time. And this time, I manually reinstalled WMR from Microsoft…

The link to download WMR is in the Microsoft Article above. I downloaded the file to C:\ and then ran the operation from Command Prompt as Administrator

Finished the install… my Odyssey ran just fine.

I did the manual install sorta like a worst case scenario for users… and it worked just fine.

Can you provide more details about WMR not working well after the script? What exactly isn’t working well? Did you get WMR back in Windows after the script? I haven’t seen any issues after the re-install. I would like to test that too. Thanks

2 Likes

I did it manually too, but when posting things like these you should warn people, because not everyone is proficient in commandline work like it is needed to handle such things, and for an average Joe this could end up into a nightmare for him, finding that something doesn’t work anymore :slight_smile:

For you maybe it’s an easy task, but for most people reinstalling packages from commandline is a total mistery, and even using the revert mode suggested in the doc, it is not totally straightforward.

The script is not intended for use with a VR environment in any case…it’s just for using a Win10 to the bare minumum and lightest possible environment.

1 Like

First… I warned people to use an Image backup before doing this. And secondly, for me anyway as soon as I plugged in my Odyssey after the script WMR got re-installed automatically without the need for a command prompt. This automatic step was the same step that happens when you first plug in the VR headset for the very first time. I only showed the command prompt install as a worst case scenario.

Getting Win10 to the bare “minumum” was the actual point.

Now… please answer the question. Are you experiencing problems after Windows puts WMR back in the system?

Yes, multiple ones…like some system panels not opening anymore and giving error messages, disappeared apps and icons, some programs becoming unstable, but solved all of it in any case.
Had to revert some of the changes made on the system by the script…but okay for me…

Now imagine if it happened to an average Joe… :slight_smile:

Be very careful with such “guides”. They often do more harm then they are helping.
Hyperthreading: Yes disabling will gain some FPS in some games and will loose a lot on others that actually support it.
Pagefile - old news and used to be neccessary - again this can cause trouble.

Power profile to maximum helps in some games - shitty programmed ones that allow the PC to go into energy saving mode". It will make your energy bill explode though. I got a power profile switcher for this.
Don’t leave it at maximum performance if you plan to keep your PC running.

1 Like

You sound like the average Joe to me :grinning:

An average Joe would not even had been able to revert most of the things gone wrong…probably ending up reinstalling the whole OS clean :laughing:

In any case the benefits were almost non-existant on the VR games I tried.

You are the average Joe!

Average Joe wouldn’t read the instructions. The new script has instructions for reverting all the changes! Did you miss that part? Average Joe would miss the part about the recommended Image backup. Average Joe would claim Gloom and Doom without actually providing a single actual reference to a problem or actual error messages. The “doohicky” doesn’t work anymore or “I did it, but I don’t see any differences”, etc, etc, etc.

I’ve ran this script on at least a dozen computers… never had error messages or such. It’s one of the most popular scripts on GitHub… comment sections on GitHub or Reddit doesn’t have people all proclaiming this gloom and doom!

1 Like

Okay, but we’re in a public forum dude…non on GitHub, where most people know what they are going to do and use…and many are coders.

You’re welcome suggesting tips, but a pinch of wisdom would be a great addition :wink:

Nothing personal…

The link for the script is on GitHub! The instructions are on GitHub. To use this script you are required to go to GitHub! The moment you open the link I provided, you are on GitHub and the instructions are RIGHT THERE on that page!!!

Gee, I’m glad you approve!

You mean like reading all the instructions, suggestions and comments? :wink: Nothing personal…

I have been using this script to remove the unnecessary crap from my Win 10 Pro: GitHub - Disassembler0/Win10-Initial-Setup-Script: PowerShell script for automation of routine tasks done after fresh installations of Windows 10 / Server 2016 / Server 2019
and my experience somewhat corresponds to @Lillo.

Even though this script is fairly modular and you can tweak the “profile” without going into details about each feature, eventually you have to review the changes you need to execute and sometimes you find out that the changes no longer apply (for example because they were working in 1803, but were changed in 1809 release) so they are either useless, or break other things up.

So my word of advice, you should run this script only if you are comfortable about going into fixing things later when they break down.

1 Like

Can you tell me what broke down? This script removes bloat… apps that aren’t required for games. That all it does. I really would be interested if something in Windows actually broke. As far as it removing apps… all these apps that get removed could be re-installed manually if need be… but again, I would really be interested in hearing if this script actually broke Windows. Some detail would be really great! I have the 1809 release… didn’t break Windows but Windows did add some stuff that could be further removed. This script gets updated as this happens but I haven’t heard anything about Windows getting broke from an update.

I am not that familiar with your script (when I was searching for some “solution” to my needs, I chose the other one I posted above), but when doing quick review of the script I noticed that it did more than just “removes bloatware”. It:

1. Disables scheduled tasks
  2. Disables the telemetry
  3. Uninstalls things like OneDrive
  4. Disables live tiles
  5. Disables people icon on taskbar
  6. Changes default PDF viewer

etc.

You may be perfectly ok with all those changes and it is fine, but for someone else it may literally break his user experience, and this was exactly point of my words: Do not run those scripts, if you are not comfortable about fixing later what went wrong.

1 Like

Gotcha! Your script that you use is far more invasive. If you had trouble with it… I can understand why!!! But it looks really interesting… I’ll have to experiment with it I think… but clearly that script is for far more advanced users.

My script… actually It’s not my script (I didn’t write it) but I do use it frequently and for others so that’s why I’m interested.

Found just now that MS Store don’t work anymore, downloads/updates started go in a loop and the store often freezes…ah ! Nice !!.. xD

Fixing this now… too… xD

User powershell command to reinstall store:

Get-AppXPackage WindowsStore -AllUsers | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register “$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml”}

2 Likes

If you have all these problems and are so certain it’s all because of the script… instead of trying to fix all these so called problems… why not use the “revert” option and restore it all? I mean, you apparently are making it clear you think the script is too dangerous and didn’t work for you… so why keep the changes?

I followed the guide, now I can’t start Fallout4VR and X-Plane. It crash when the game at its final loading stage.
i7 6700K, Z170 Motherboard. Zotac 1080 Amp Extreme, (Both CPU and GPU overclocked)16mb 3000Mhz ram, Windows10 Pro.

1 Like

I’m sorry to hear that… is that when using your 5K+? Do you get a BSOD (blue-screen) by any chance or does it just freeze? If it a BSOD, does it say what the exception or stop code was?