Will Pimax 8k be prepared for foveated rendering?

Considering an eye tracking module will eventually come out, will the headset be prepared to output at it’s native resolution with the help of foveated rendering?

4 Likes

What ? Whaaaaaaaat ? Where have you been in the last 5 days ? Are you worried about eye tracking ? No way.

Pimax has already solved for long time the foveated eye tracking module, this is no longer an issue to talk about, it works perfectly.

Now they only need to concentrate on having at least a basic working headset to put that foveated tracking at work, because it seems that they don’t have one. But good to know that hand tracking, eye tracking and scent module are there waiting for a headset which in my opinion never come.

Can you link me where I can read all about that? All I’m concerned about is if Pimax will be able to output at it’s native screen resolution at the parts of the screen you’re looking at, essentially eliminating the need to upscale altogether.

The sky is falling, the sky is falling!!!

Take a pill… Pimax will release the 8K this year.

Dude, what I am trying to say , but seems I was not explicit, is that we might be in the situation to never have a headset to output any fckin thing on that bloody screen whatever you look or not on any part. You will not even have a part of a non existent screen to look at.
Am I clear now ?

What pill did you take to believe this ?

I recommend you take some Xanax! It will help you relieve yourself of the “Pimax anxiety disorder” you are currently displaying!

3 Likes

hahaha, you deserve a like from me. That was a perfect answer.

You are the first here who confesses about taking pills. Congratulations.

i fear they can’t do this with the 8k, but if they manage to find a way to do it via software when the eye tracking module will be available, then the 8k would truly be a next gen VR hmd (in terms of tech and not only of improved component specs) and all current problems about distortions, reflections and refresh rate would be solved.
I too am really interested to know if it’s possible.

1 Like

I’m not claiming to be knowledgeable enough by any means but I don’t see what would stay in the way of some solution working? The single DP cable would no longer stay in the way in terms of through output and whatever internal solution for display wouldn’t have to handle more data than previously either. It’s just a matter of future proofing the hardware for the solution so there doesn’t exist some quirky limitation for actually displaying the partially native image.

A very good question.

Will we obtain any performance improvement by having eye tracking now? Are you sure? It’s almost certain that we will have a solid eye tracking module. But, does we obtain some real advantage of it, reducing requirements by using foveated rendering? It’s not the same at all.

Some weeks ago, I saw a video, sorry, I could’t find it, I think that was about Open XR, in which a representative of Epic said that, for the moment, they were not interested in adding foveated rendering to Unreal Engine, to the astonishment of Valve’s representative. I think they were Oculus and Sony representatives in that conference, too.

I don’t know; on the other hand, the system of the company Varjo is based in foveated rendering to obtain near retinal resolution, and we have seen videos of several supposed steam vr demos of it.

Apart from the Varjo system, I couldn’t think in another one that could take more advantage of foveated rendering than the Pimax 8K and the future models of Pimax; even the Pimax 4K should have it.

@Matthew.Xu, @bacon: has the possibility been investigated with nVidia, AMD, or those in charge of the current graphics engines? Should not it be done already, since it will take time and does not interfere at all with the hardware works of the prototype?

3 Likes

From my understanding, If the device has a working eye tracker then it shouldn’t be an issue, that tracking data will flow back over USB and then forwarded to the GPU to calculate the rendering.

The eye tracker simply reports where the eye is looking (and some of them even predict where the eye will look). The ideal solution is for the GPU driver to support foveated natively so apps/games do not need to support it themselves as the driver takes care of it automatically.

However, foveated rendering itself is still in it’s early days, will the GPU manufacturers take it on as their responsibility or will they expect third parties to implement their own solution?

You can see NVidia working on it here:
http://research.nvidia.com/search/node/foveated

2 Likes

You’re missing the question I’m asking. That would still be the same approx. 1440p upscaled to 4k image but foveated for better performance. My question is if Pimax 8k will be able to take advantage of foveated rendering and display partially native image, bypassing the upscaling completely.

As far as I know, the graphic engines (and developers too) have to take advantage of it; but for that, they would have to change their entire rendering system and they don’t seem very willing to do it for a few enthusiasts.

At the moment, I think it’s not used, except in some nVidia demos and few more.

2 Likes

Who you replying to?
I didn’t see you mention “bypassing the upscaling completely”. Anyway, that’s what the 8K-X is isn’t it? The version with no scaler.

Ah sorry, it was to you. But anyway yes I know the 8k X can do that, but it needs two DP inputs to achieve that. The 8K could theoretically do the same with a single DisplayPort if the image was foveated. I’m just hoping Pimax engineers could somehow account for that in the hardware/firmware.

other than running at native resolution and foveated rendering, i would be content if Pimax could send eye-tracking data to their distortion-correction algorithms to account for where the eyes are relative to the lenses so that the full 200° FOV can be sharp with a clear 3D vision.

3 Likes

The answer is no, unless either Pimax and / or graphics engines or graphics drivers do some kind of solid foveated rendering.

Yeah, I completely agree. The scaler should have an option for pass through.

2 Likes

That’s Brilliant!

@deletedpimaxrep1 @PimaxVR: I suppose you already have something similar in mind, but if not, you should take advantage of this excellent idea.

1 Like