Will Pimax 8k be prepared for foveated rendering?

The game renderer would need to be able to do this, there are no game engines doing this so you can forget about this for now. What IS possible is doing the distortion rendering forveated, like @Ch4rli3_G0rd0n suggested. However this is of course only a small advantage compared to the game rendering, where the real advantage can be had some day in the future, when the engines support it.

2 Likes

One worrying aspect of Foveated rendering is the added latency in the entire chain of events. It might turn out that it is only useful for casual games and video.

1 Like

I still think it should be at the GPU driver level. 4K, 5K and 8K monitors with eye tracking could use it too and NVidia/AMD would benefit as people on lower GPU’s could run higher resolutions at faster frame rates. So not just VR.

If we leave it to the engine’s then there is all the extra overhead which could make it moot. This needs to be extremely fast and the best way to do that is right at the gpu driver. Then nobody else has to be involved other than establishing a standard for eye tracking data.

2 Likes

I don’t think the eye tracking module would take very long to release as the technology already exist. Also I would totally buy a Pimax 8k x if foveated rendering is supported by it.

That’s not how it works. The engine actually draws the game, it draws a spaceship for example. It can do that in great detail, or in very low detail, depending on where your eyes would look. That’s how it works.

3 Likes

It seems that developers already start getting transmissions with only 1 or two miliseconds of latency, which is not that bad.

Sorry, kuroderuta, apparently some guys are very willng to post a lot but it does not address your question and the topic of the thread at all.

Okay, now this is out of the way: no, that will not work with the 8K. If it did, we would not have the 8K(X). The issue is not only getting the upscaler out of the way, but you need to have a larger bandwith and processing on the headset, which the 8K doesn‘t have. This is also the reason why the 8K(X) needs two DP ports and cables because one single on will not be capable of managing the data throughput. This would in principle not be different with foveated rendering, because I suspect that the data sent to the headset will not be utilizing any compression to take advantage of the less highly rendered peripheral areas.

@mirq: are your posts a sort of an intentional communication breakdown experiment ? It is a bit tiring. I believe everybody get‘s the message, you do not need to repeat it 100 times in each and every thread. Mirq does not like the 8K, and thinks Pimax sucks. Got it.
Why not turn your attention to another subject and come back in March or May ?

6 Likes

A microsecond is 0.001 milliseconds. I assume you mean milliseconds?
Surly that can not be the entire latency chain for foveated rendering.

e.g.
Eye tracking data → USB-> Foveated calc → HMD

Also, see this: Latency Requirements for Foveated Rendering in Virtual Reality | Research

Yes, miliseconds, sorry! :slight_smile:

As far as I know, Adhawk has a very little latency and take into account the saccade problem.

1 Like

Tobii is showing its eye-tracking Foveated Rendering tech in VR at booth #21409 (LVCC South Hall 1.1). Has anyone tried it?

Hey.

It will depend on alot of things. With the 8k running with 2560*1440 input I would say depending on the Fovevate focused area should be able use most of the input res can be focused where your looking.

So imho if i understand the concept correctly lets presume foveate render area is 50% of panel size.

Panel equals 3840*2160.

50% = 1980*1080

Input res = 2560*1440. The foveate area has less res than 50% of total native res. So its possible the concentrated area of render should be close to native res with minimal to no upscaling target area.

Keep in mind the above example is hypothetical.

1 Like

Thanks for the calculation! That pretty much confirms that’s it’s at least possible to do, now it would be nice to hear some acknowledgement from Pimax or that they will at least try to look into it.

Hmmm. My edit didn’t save.

After reading what @Sjef said. The foveate rendering will simply increase Level of Detail in the area your looking at. The area outside the foveate will render with less detail.

The effect this will do is reduce gpu workload by varying details. So it won’t render an area at a higher res; it will simply focus details within your view so to speak.

So in terms of benefit? Where without foveate rendering you were only able to have medium quality max for good performance you maybe able run at high or ultra. If i understand correctly; game is likely to require native support for foveate however a software driver may be able to do a kinda workaround.

@Heliosurge My understanding is It is about resolution. So the area where your eye focuses is native res, the next area outside that might be 75% res, the area beyond that is 50% res expanding out in a circular pattern rather than a full frame rectangle resolution. This would also support super sampling. so the area where you focus could be x2 and downscaled.

Then the game could have any number of graphical options that affect the entire foveated area.

2 Likes

So then would mt first post seem reasonable in how it could work with potenially foveate area could be rendered near full native res?

That’s correct. Full res would be a small area in your focal range. It is almost like dynamic resolution linked to your eyes.

This article has more eye candy how it works visually from the Google Daydream devs:

The engine has less work to do so fps (or resolution) goes up. The bandwidth drops as less data needs sending to the HMD so this could benefit wireless or portable devices too. It’s a lot of aspects but certainly where we have to go.

4 Likes

-Will Pimax 8k be prepared for foveated rendering?
-NO (>20 characters)

Again, game engines would need to support foveated rendering. None does, so the discussion is kind of moot. The only advantages that can currently be had are advantages beyond game rendering, like the distortion correction.

2 Likes

It’s a pity, the Pimax 8K would benefit much more than other hmd. At least it will make it easier for any developer to experiment with eye tracking and possible foveated rendering systems.

Agreed. Developers have already implemented their own foveated rendering in UE4 with reductions in computation and results that the user was unaware it was turned on. Examples on Google.

Batman Arkham VR (UE4 Engine) uses a somewhat fixed version of foveated rendering by reading up on it.
http://support.wbgames.com/link/portal/24022/24028/Article/1487/Batman-Arkham-VR-PC-Graphics-Options

At the moment the eye tracking companies are creating SDK’s to work with their trackers and popular game engines. Tobil for example have an SDK that works with their eye tracking including Unity3D and C (UE4). https://www.tobii.com/tech/products/vr/

As to the OP, “Will the Pimax 8K be prepared for foveated rendering” well it should be, if it tracks your eyes then that data can and will be used by devs regardless if it is built into the engine or as an asset/SDK.

2 Likes