Will 8Kx and 8K+ continue with less resolution in large mode?

Yes, you need to edit the file steamvr.vrsettings, as @neal_white_iii just said. Search for it on your C: drive.

Im pretty sure your changes you are making does not have any effect because SteamVR is reading another file upon startup.

The file can also be located in C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\config\

Or

C:\Users\user-name\AppData\Local\openvr\

As I said, check the GPU test values and edit them to see if they change.
I also recommend you to change all GPU test values to around 2000, to get the SteamVR overlay/dashboard super sharp. My RTX2080Ti automatically gives around 1450 and thats not enough to bring the full sharpness.

Its SteamVR that tries to give you max performance of your GPU, but at the same time it screws up the image. Especially since the majority of people play on an original Vive/Rift and dont see the difference anyway.

3 Likes

Upon 8K+ and 8KX starting to ship, I will make a public video with all gathered “general tweaks” that enhances the image to max.

Its really sad if people dont see the real potential of these headset from start, just because SteamVR is optimized for low resolutions and gen1 headsets.

12 Likes

F***ing gen 1 and gen 1.1 like Index :rofl:

1 Like

Note, in addition to what Neal and Martin wrote, that if SteamVR launches, and discovers that a value is identical in default.vrsettings and steamvr.vrsettings, that line will automatically be removed from the latter file.

4 Likes

Back after the holidays and still poking at this issue. As far as I can tell the settings are being applied. When I’m looking at the Steam VR Web Console is there anything other than the Recommended Resolution that I need to look at? I’m not generally driving resolutions higher than 4096 anyway, I don’t have the power to do so.

But, had I been actually thinking about it, I would have realized that the biggest indicator is that if I have PP turned on and I switch PCars2 or Skyrim VR to Large FOV the performance increases dramatically, so it’s clearly not pushing more, or even the same number of, pixels. Someday I’ll have more titles to try, but for now it’s a pretty clear incompatibility between Large FOV and PP in those two titles.

@SweViver

This 2-liner of code posted by Disassembly_3D, found by @DrWilken needs to go out to game developers that use Unity, e.g. Boneworks and Onwards. Pimax needs to actively approach them. That’ll fix a lot of issues in these games regarding bugged object culling with Pimax’ wide FOV.

2 Likes

Maybe this will help:
https://community.openmr.ai/t/how-to-play-project-cars2-on-pimax-8k-5k-without-parallel-projections-and-steamvr/18644?u=schadows

Does that actually work? I seem to recall reading that it doesn’t actually function as suggested?

Don’t know, I didn’t test it myself at that time. My 5K+ is gathering dust except when friends come for their 1st experience (VR experience I mean ;p) because it is so uncomfortable / hard to adjust its position.

I remember that some people didn’t gain any framerate (on the contrary) while other were saying it worked for them.

Only cost a little time to test it and rollback if it doesn’t help.