Will 8Kx and 8K+ continue with less resolution in large mode?

Lol finally. I feel like I’m taking crazy pills on this forum.

2 Likes

Weird I dont have vrsettings in that path.

I don’t find it neither :frowning:

Its either in the openVR path:

C:/users/your-user/AppData/Local/openvr/

or:

C:/Program files (x86)/Steam/Config/

Its totaly random. Mine has always been in the second folder, but recently out of a sudden, that config file was not used anymore and a new was created in the openvr folder.

2 Likes

The only reason I’m buying my first Pimax headset is for the large FOV. I already get normal FOV from my Index. So all game testing should be done in Large FOV. I went with the 8K Plus

‘Normal’ FOV is still significantly larger than the Index. Even Pimax ‘Small’ is larger than the Index.

I was loving large the other day though. Was super immersive in Boneworks!

1 Like

I want FOV big enough to cover my entire horizontal vision or almost all of it. Not just a bit bigger than the Index. Anyways I hope I’ll be pleasantly surprised. Are you getting 8KX or 8K Plus?

2 Likes

Pimax ‘large’ FOV covers nearly my full Horizontal FOV. I have quite a small head but if feels like its all of it or near as damn.

I currently have the 5K+ and i’ve ordered an 8KX.

2 Likes

Normal FOV is only a little smaller than Large FOV, but it cuts my framerate by ~30% (on an I7-8700K, 2080 system). IMO, Normal is the best choice for my system, especially since I barely see a difference in FOV.

1 Like

Hmm… Wonder what that could be, then, if not the obvious possibilities…

Would you say it looks much like in those macro through-the-lens photos SweViver got from the HP Reverb, back when there was supposedly something going wrong driver-wise, somewhere between WMR and SteamVR, or something? (Those looked exactly like a half resolution frame scaled up to the screen resolution, with “stairstepping” clearly evident between 2x2 blocks of pixels.)

That the thing. I barely “see” difference between large and normal. But my psychological level of immersion with large FOV, only because I can’t see any borders in my side staring to the front, it’s a total game changing. I prefer change settings to don’t have reflections in the game, but has this level of real presence and immersion.

2 Likes

Are you sure you are applying the MaxRecommendedResolution in the correct config file, thats actually in use by SteamVR? Double check by editing all GPU test values and restart SteamVR. If one of them changes upon next SteamVR start, you got the correct file.

For me, setting the value to 16384 solved exactly that problem, which was extremely obvious on the 8KX making the image really bad with 8192.

1 Like

What would be the frames per second on those kinds of resolutions?

As i showed yesterday:

Normal FOV + PP

Large FOV + PP

Is it necessary to use PP? I never use it.

In some games, yes. You will instantly notice when a game/sim needs PP. Without PP it will be an unplayable cross-eyed mess. Also some games works without PP but have minor or major graphical issues without PP, like Fallout 4VR, Skyrim and Stormland.

2 Likes

I understand. The games I used to play don’t require it hehe, perhaps beat saber, but… nah, I play it without PP too.

Yes Beat Saber needs PP. It looks weird without PP enabled :slight_smile:

1 Like

Well, I’m as sure as I’m able to be (the web admin for steamvr does not work for me on either the localhost address or the 127.xxxxxx address even when I disable the firewall completely (and how absurd would a firewall have to be to block any localhost address anyway? Please tell me the Win10 firewall doesn’t do that). I’ve also looked for solutions to the web interface not working and “webUI” is set to true in the default settings file. I think the web admin function may have been removed in later versions of Steam VR? I am editing both the defaults.vrsettings and the driver_defaults.vrsettings files (as the defaults.vrsettings file suggests). I have found that I have to re-edit the “defaults.vrsettings” file each time steam VR updates, so I’m pretty sure that’s the right file. But also, the resolution loss is simply far too great be explained away by the loss of resolution associated with “X” number of pixels being stretched across a somewhat wider FOV. It’s not a small difference. or even a significant difference, it’s an absolutely massive quality degradation. I’m not exaggerating when I say it looks like it running at about 1/4 the resolution. I would love to know if there is any other way to make absolutely sure the value is being accepted by Steam VR though! There are so many threads regarding these issues that it’s very hard to find a good concise set of instructions.

EDIT: Argh, the option to launch the web-console is now right in the Steam VR UI. Good grief. Well, that’s solved at least! I can see where the “HMD driver recommended” setting is (I’m guessing that’s what I should be looking at?) When I get time (possibly after the holidays) I’ll take close look to be sure I’ve actually got the >4096 fix in place.

1 Like

That will work, but if you edit the setting in
C:\Users\ user-name \AppData\Local\openvr\steamvr.vrsettings ,
it will act as an override, which won’t need to be edited every time SteamVR updated.

2 Likes