Who has stable LH 2.0 tracking on 8Kx 😀

@MrAhlefeld is the Op he set the criteria for this thread. There is another thread in #Pimax-pitool:Pitool-Discuss thread on Lighthouse tracking issues.

You have some good info. However should be in another thread as your headset model doesn’t meet the Op’s criteria.

:beers::sunglasses::+1::sparkles:

2 Likes

Sure, sorry, I am new to this forum. Will find my way around here…

4 Likes

agreed that is how every sane tech person would go about it, the more data aquired the better.
But Pimax does not work like this unfortunately :pensive:
They need everything very clear cut, as simple information as possible that cannot be misunderstood.

Thus only the 8Kx and LH2.0 tracking, was what I was asking for to support the findings for a support ticket that could help all the Backers and Backer Upgraders + Pre-orders who are left with a useless paperweight $1400
And anyone else who purchased the 8Kx :wink:

and wellcome to the forums, hope I did not scare you off :smiley:

2 Likes

Hey no worries it takes time to get a new place figured out.

2 Likes

Are any of us with this jitter problem able to get their hands on the other version of a v2 base station or even a v1 base station to see if that gets rid of the jitter?

1 Like

I have a question your base stations are showing up on your pitool with just the head set? I’m sorry it seems u are very knowledgeable about the light houses and base stations and I need help too.

https://community.openmr.ai/t/8kx-not-recognizing-base-stations/32147

I have v2 basestations and have awful jitter in my 8K-X.

2 Likes

I have solid tracking of 8kX. I have likely the HTC ones (only SteamVR label). I had initial issues when I placed them too low (on table). I was loosing track often. Then I repositioned them from sides to front on couple of boxes behind monitor to be looking slightly down and back on wardrobe and the issue was fixed.

2 Likes

So i’ve had a support session with DomanChen today about an hour and a half ago.
We did a short interview of what had allready been done from my side, and then he told me what he wanted to try.

In short.
He told me he would update the HMD tracking firmware, I asked if it was the watchman dongle he wanted to update and the answer was: No the tracking firmware in the HMD.

He then proceeded to copy some update files to a folder on my desktop and then ran a configuration 123.json file in a powershell, then started an update script that completed. (I have a dump of the full log) just can’t get to it right now.

This did in fact make the tracking better, but not nearly as good as my 5K+ I would say it’s still not acceptable, he accepted this just fine and asked me politely if I could make a video of my 5K+ tracking and of the 8Kx tracking.
He would then send this to his R&D team for analysis.

This I will make this weekend and we will proceed the debugging.

So there is still hope for all of us with tracking wobble/jitter on our 8Kx’s and LH2.0’s (and maybe other versions as well)

/MrAhlefeld

11 Likes

any possibility to export HMD tracking FW from working HMDs & apply it on yours? But i guess it doesn’t make much sense as a person already tried fw that is well known to work, so maybe it’s all about hardware or other HW drivers / hw conflicts

Hi Teigue

I don’t know how to do that :slight_smile: and since DomanChen is reacing out and cooperating and involving R&D in resolving the issue now, I do not think I will start flashing older firmwares. But thanks for reaching out to me :smiley:

2 Likes

Hi guys

I’ve just finished making videos so you can follow the progress, I will only use Pimax Experience from now on making these LH tracking issue videos (easyer and will show the same as SteamVR)

So there are now 3 videos.

• Reference 5K+ tracking video
  • 8Kx before HMD tracking firmware update
  • 8Kx after tracking firmware update

All 3 videos have been made with the HMD’s placed in the exact same place in my room, so they reside in the same place/space in the LH2.0 space.

When looking at the videos I now see that my 5K+ does not have 100% stable tracking (when placed on a flat surface)
I was so damn sure that this was the case, as what I have percieved as 100% stable tracking was indeed actually not :crazy_face: but I guess that my brain accepted as perfect when wearing the HMD.

If you compare the before and after videos of the 8Kx.

• The 8Kx before video.
    You will allso notice that the HMD drifts and tilts throughout the video (just look at the PE part of the video) besides wobbling and jittering.

• The 8Kx after video
    Tracking is much improved, drift and tilt is gone but tracking is still not quite at the 5K+ level. need to iron out those last few kinks.

It’s my impression that this work should make Pimax able to make up a “cook book” for updating our 8Kx’s so tracking just works. And make their Out Of The Box exprience much better.

Videos
Download for best viewing.
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/150SrQnFx9jwpdjh9y9SKcdk0XAVuUiwF

/MrAhlefeld

5 Likes

Received my base station/controller bundle yesterday, set it all up this morning. Base stations say Steam on the back, lighthousedb.json reports firmware version as 2001.

Tracking seems stable. Perhaps there is a tiny bit of jitter compared to the inertial tracking I was using before, but I doubt I would have noticed it had this thread not sensitised me to it.

SteamVR tells me that the firmware needs updating, but not prepared to do that yet.

2 Likes

Just took a look. That seems like a pretty good improvement. How do you install that firmware? Does it have to be done through a session with pimax support? Are you able to share it?

2 Likes

Hi Adam

For now I would say yes through a support ticket, describe the issue and link to this thread.
You could mention my handle in the ticket and ask for Domain.Chen, be sure to have installed TeamViewer on your PC so you are ready.

It was more than just installing a firmware, as I had to shake the HMD at a specific time during the process. I would think this was a part of a calibration alongside the internal gyro (just guessing here) as it can be seen in the lighthouse tracking console.

Hope I get some time to look at it during the weekend, but Doman said he was very busy, and had a lot of tikets to go through. So hurry up and make one :wink:

/MrAhlefeld

2 Likes

When Doman Chen updated my HMD tracking, he never asked me to shake the headset. Unfortunately i did not find there was any improvement in my tracking jitter after the update.

1 Like

Wow, it improved a lot!
Mine looks a lot like your ‘before’ video, I’ll have to log a ticket to get this done!

3 Likes

Fair enough, bummer that it has to be done through a support ticket at this time. I’m a 3rd year engineering student and have very little free time unfortunately. I barely get to put on the headset an hour a week during the busy months so I’m probably just gonna deal with the jitters til I get some time off around the end of November.

Glad to see that he was able to fix a lot of the tracking jitter, that’s definitely a big step up. Hopefully once it’s all isolated and figured out they’ll be able to fix it by releasing either a firmware fix (if possible), or package together a process guide, application, or mode within pitool that gets us to an improved end result.

It would be best for the customers and for the staff to make the fix as automatic for the customer as possible so that their support staff aren’t bogged down having to manually apply the fix to everyone with tracking issues (I’m certain there are more people with the tracking issues than us, the forums make up a small portion of 8KX users).

1 Like

I’ve had a similar session with Doman yesterday. He ran the same update, but I didn’t notice any difference in tracking (in fact it seemed less stable - as the tracking jumped around occasionally).

He said he tried all he could and will refer this to the RD department.
So now I’m waiting to see what comes next.
I have to say, Doman was very helpful and seemed to know what he was doing.

Have you guys used the Jitter test SW to make measurements?

Here is my 3 basestation measurement, pretty bad compared to measurements you can find online with an Index.

4 Likes

Hi Milopapa

Well according to the software my jitter is worse than yours :sweat_smile:
2 LH 2.0’s
I notised that the result varies alot when doing mesurements, and you need to redo your room-setup if you fiddle with the lighthouses.

Still waiting for Doman to get back to me, but at leasts my 8Kx is usable now.
Will compare to my 5K+ later

5K+ jitter test, exact same LH 2.0 setup

No wonder I think my 8Kx is worse… :cry:

/MrAhlefeld

1 Like