What Pimax news from CES?

OMG, then is almost 100% limited in functionality. :see_no_evil::joy:

1 Like

Absolute dealbreaker.

Joking aside, it would be interesting to learn which of the features on the spec sheet are now available in fully functional state and which are not available or not fully functional during the hands-ons, so getting confirmation of any significant progress as compared to the road shows from unbiased 3rd parties.

3 Likes

You mean which of the ready features on the ready list are actually ready?

4 Likes

not really CES, but Pimax in Tokyo

Nice write up. Be better if we had reviews from there as well.

Itā€™s just a press release from Pimax. That part about the microsoft employee was a bit cringey, should have just left that out.

Anyway yeah looking forward to more info/reviews from CES!!

As far as late goes, the new Feb timeline is a joke. Back when they said they expect to have Crystal out to any pre orders by year end I pointed out that anyone who didnā€™t get theirs by Christmas would likely see them in April, if history is any indicator. Indeed, a pre-Covid history, before supply chain issues.

Normally, when a company keeps making the same mistake over and over itā€™s called Corporate Alzheimerā€™s. Thing is, it usually happens when staff changes have people leaving and replacements making the same mistakes because the fired person doesnā€™t leave a note saying ā€œdonā€™t do this or you will get firedā€ :grinning:
When one keeps missing timelines (like all of them) for years and still continues, you have to wonder.

1 Like

Itā€™s bizarre.

2 Likes

Itā€™s really just a combo of enthusiasm, excitement, and relentless optimism. I wonder how much pressure Is exerted from government departmental sources. The Pimax crew itself is obviously dedicated to achieving at the edge of whatā€™s possible; I admire that, but given all the slips that come betwixt the cup and the lip, I think they absolutely have share their vision WHILE tempering expectations. I believe theyā€™re getting there. No company in VR operates perfectly- look at Meta. They just lost their ā€˜keyā€™ VR executive because of the problems he saw in their management practices.
How about Arpara? Deca? Pimax looks pretty good in comparison. Literally nobody in consumer VR is trying to push the tech envelope like Pimax is doing.

2 Likes

But the 12k fell victim to a shambolic CES 2022. This year Pimax have the biggest booth theyā€™ver had yet still no 12k. It absolutely beggars belief imo.

Sure, itā€™s ok to be enthusiast and dedicated but stop constantly announcing wrong information. If they can be wrong several times in a row (on the same product) then maybe they need to curb that enthusiasm some.

4 Likes

Which one? They lost 2 with Carmack being the most recent. The other was there head on Half dome.

1 Like

I had forgotten about the mysterious back doors demo of the 12K after CES2022 - yeah, cool to not even see anything of it one year later. As many guessed, they bit off a bit more than they could chew. Big surprise.

But letā€˜s see if the get the (in comparison) more modest & conservative Crystal to proper product stage, at least there are some promising signs there. I just feel a bit for the poor souls who jumped on the trade-in offer. It remains to be seen if that was a good idea or not for those. In terms of timing it definitely turned out quite different than innocent souls would have thought after Pimax communication at the time.

2 Likes

Portal backers still dropping, 597 now. They have so many portal units at CES and people are only ditching their kickstarter reservationā€¦ Hopefully Pimax will interpret that like they should.

Just stop that Portal nonsense and focus 100% on the 12k.

4 Likes

The reason Portal backers are bailing is because the campaign is being run extremely poorly.

KS campaigns thrive on momentum, communication, and staggered reveals. Unfortunately itā€™s obvious that the Pimax team hasnā€™t dedicated real resources to the campaign. There isnā€™t a consistent voice responding to questions, updates are random and there can be weeks of silence, and key information about the product is still missing 50-something days into the campaign.

People arenā€™t bailing because they donā€™t like or want the Portal. Theyā€™re leaving because the campaign is a travesty completely squandering the potential of the device.

2 Likes

I agree with what youā€™re saying!

Iā€™ve only found this forum just now but Iā€™m a backer over on the Kickstarter.
From what Iā€™ve gathered, I can expect a Portal View eventually, but Iā€™ll never know when?
All new information has come from random videos of people speaking to Pimax in person. The updates page of the Kickstarter is very off-putting as far as confidence in having a functioning Portal View until 2024. I just want a real update before the campaign ends!
Show us the current devices!! Iā€™m tired of seeing videos with people saying the device show isnā€™t representative of the current iterations in development. The road show was very confusing from a Kickstarter backer perspective.

3 Likes

The main Portal device should be ready for production. The big question marks are all the add-ons we havenā€™t gotten details about yet, and some of the software functionality.

I think itā€™s a very safe bet that the Portal will ship in February or March. I have less confidence about all the peripherals, which have only been shown in engineering sample and pre-production form.

I still feel good about the product! Which is why I gripe about the mis-management of the Kickstarter. The Portal is frickinā€™ cool and the campaign needed more love and attention.

Nice writeup from Thrill:
https://twitter.com/thrilluwu/status/1611547489953525760?s=46&t=iHKReoztwfbQSQlSUQhZUA

He seems to really like the Crystal. However what worries me is ā€œStill has the Pimax oddities. Some weird stereo overlap feels, I had to REALLY crank it tight to keep from going a little cross eye.ā€. Yeah thatā€™s exactly my main concern. Iā€™m afraid they wonā€™t be able to fix those ā€˜pimax odditiesā€™ and these are really a dealbreaker to me.

Anyway, Iā€™ve signed up for the Crystal test group. Instead of complaining on the forums I thought Iā€™d rather use the energy positively and help out.

8 Likes

Ehhhh, he says auto IPD is fully working!
Thatā€™s a reeeal great news. Means that tobii work begins to be showed

1 Like