Weekly Update 3rd June 2020 Discussion

So a week from the 9th to maybe see things ready to ship? Any idea on when the Pimax day 3 is going to be yet?

11 Likes

Not likely, he said they get produced, then tested for a couple of days, then shipped, then combined with headsets, then tested again, then packaged. Production of the first batch could take a week in and of itself so then another week for everything else. I’d be surprised if they ship anything in June to backers.

6 Likes

Then prepare to be surprised.

12 Likes

After 3 years that would be nice.

2 Likes

You are an X backer? We should change your tag to X backer.

6 Likes

Considering the fact they haven’t emailed anyone for the labels and it’ll take at least a week to ship the loaners back to China. I’d be very very surprised.

2 Likes

Yes I am, its only been mentioned on a weekly basis for the last 2 years so i guess its been easy to miss.

5 Likes

Does the surprise have a date in mind? :beers::smirk::+1::sparkles:

13 Likes

Any news about the Pitool open source?

4 Likes

@PimaxVR
@PimaxUSA
@SweViver

For me Pimax is trying with 8K X to improve manufacturing quality.
The target is to obtain the same best VR experience from 8KX users
as much as possible.
If this is the purpose i would suggest to make a pitool X edition
cleaned (without the code for 5k+/8k/8k+)
After the cleaning, Pimax could implement new optimizations
for 8KX users and then release them for others VR headsets
when it’s possible.

Why it is better to have Pitools and X pitools ?

1. 8KX users have a privileged treatment
  2. Pimax Users see what is coming for their VR headsets and are excited.
  3. 8KX became the testing platform.

Let’s say there is the possibility to make SMART SMOOTHING 2.0.
it’ s more easy to finalise the software testing on one VR headset thought from the beginning to not have 202,203,204…, running on few high end hardware configurations PC, at only one working frequency (75hz)

Pimax finishing SMART SMOOTHING 2.0 first
They could announce first new X Pitool Version
They will have good reviews from 8K X USERS
PIMAX reputation go high

1. porting on Artisan/5k+/8K/8K+ begins —> Likely less/no issues to fix on Pitool

I hope you like this idea

2 Likes

wasnt smartsmoofing 2.0 abandoned or put on hold??

It’s not a good idea to needlessly fork pitool for each model as they use the same core driver. We don’t need to add more time to pitool releases. Fragmenting pitool is not needed as the base of the headsets are the same and specific features to the model are revealed in pitool.

As for a treat? Well you backed to receive a prototype and are receiving a consumer release that includes a dual mode for native and upscaled mode.

11 Likes

You need pitools releases working well when they are on the market. STOP

The best way to have this is to work on one headset to avoid all the confusion reports you have now
with users trying a new beta release and then going back to an old release that have others bugs
Do you think this is good to Pimax reputation ?

Told with different words: you have to cut with the past.

If 8KX has a possibility to go very well you need to get it as soon as possible:

I call it “X Pitool”: To clean all the useless code; test; Is it ok (X pitool) ?
Well, Success!!! You have it;
Then you go forward
Test
Ok
Porting on others Headsets

Pimax 8K X and the others
I did not say a pitool for each model

The last thing I do not write this to have “Likes” .
This is a solution to the “Pitool Table” @PimaxUSA Spoken weeks ago
I don’t know , Perhaps they at this table speaks of the roadmap… It’s all beautifull
But if the headset is not seen after an update, or go down after one hour, or index controllers lost tracking etc I do not call this a good experience for a $1300 headset near $2000 with tax, controllers, base stations

There is only one way to avoid this " X Pitool"

I am only a backer
I will not write again about this because it’s so evident that this improve things
and works from a marketing point of view

GoodBye

2 Likes

The P2 wide FoV share a common Architecture.

Pitool headset driver is common. Now for Marketing then you need to weigh key points.

Which Headsets by Volume will pimax sell more of?
A) The Artisan and 5k+.

So with the 8kX being a smaller quantity of sales where enthusiasts are more to tinker.

If any headset should have a pitool with stability and a very user friendly interface then that would be the Entry pimax headsets as you want the masses to adopt your product line.

4 Likes

Absolutely right. STOP :+1::wink:

No need for “special forks”.

EDIT: I have an 8KX on order and of course I want the best experience possible and understand what You’re saying, but a special X version is just a really bad idea. The solution is proper bug handling and release procedures (QA team?). Fix the current bugs before introducing new stuff. Feature freeze. I’d rather miss out on a few features and have a stable and seamless experience than have a boat load of buggy features… :+1::wink:

13 Likes

Pimax could do something new and radical and actually follow their timelines for once in their lives.

4 Likes

How about today? Only the loaner return mail?

1 Like

Come on Pimax … You were doing a great job with the weekly updates lately. Please don’t put communication to a grinding halt again …

edit: Yay! If I only could have kept my patience three hours longer … After all what’s three more hours on a two years journey?

3 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: Weekly Update June 11th Discussion