Weekly Update 3rd June 2020 Discussion

Hehe yeah that’s going to be the most frustrating part, having waited all that time and then see the 8k-X pop up for sale on Aliexpress before we even have ours. It’s always been like that so we know it’s going to happen again, but it always s*cks.

This time I bought my Artisan on Aliexpress so I was on the other side for once. When I received mine with only 10 days of waiting, I was seeing messages from people here who pre-ordered theirs in January … Kind of felt bad for them, but that’s how it works …

5 Likes

That’s one of the things that has pissed me off the most about Pimax. When I saw 5K+ and 8K units popping up on Aliexpress and many backers/preorders still hadn’t received theirs, that was just wrong. I felt so bad for them.

7 Likes

Can you check again please?

Just for you. Still nothing.

5 Likes

Damn. Well then it’s official that they won’t be shipping out before the 9th. In fact, counting 2 weeks for the return shipping process, that would already put us in the last week of this month if they’d start the return process tuesday.

2 Likes

Delivery in therms of pimax is almost same as printing your shipping label. Once its printed - their job is done. And if its needs another month or two to get in your hands - it doesnt counts as their task.

3 Likes

Well who knows if they even produced any Xs if they don’t want to tell us how many they made.

1 Like

As we mentioned in the last update we aren’t shipping headsets without SMAS. The SMAS with the replacement head slider should go into production Tuesday as planned.

It’s not complex like the headsets but the first production units do require a day or two to test once produced. Once they are produced they get shipped from our production factory to our Shanghai factory where they will get combined with the headsets, receive an extra set of tests and packaged.

At that point there is a production flow for that sub assembly that is produced and regularly transported. It’s all about establishing production lines that constantly churn out batches.

11 Likes

So a week from the 9th to maybe see things ready to ship? Any idea on when the Pimax day 3 is going to be yet?

11 Likes

Not likely, he said they get produced, then tested for a couple of days, then shipped, then combined with headsets, then tested again, then packaged. Production of the first batch could take a week in and of itself so then another week for everything else. I’d be surprised if they ship anything in June to backers.

6 Likes

Then prepare to be surprised.

12 Likes

After 3 years that would be nice.

2 Likes

You are an X backer? We should change your tag to X backer.

6 Likes

Considering the fact they haven’t emailed anyone for the labels and it’ll take at least a week to ship the loaners back to China. I’d be very very surprised.

2 Likes

Yes I am, its only been mentioned on a weekly basis for the last 2 years so i guess its been easy to miss.

5 Likes

Does the surprise have a date in mind? :beers::smirk::+1::sparkles:

13 Likes

Any news about the Pitool open source?

4 Likes

@PimaxVR
@PimaxUSA
@SweViver

For me Pimax is trying with 8K X to improve manufacturing quality.
The target is to obtain the same best VR experience from 8KX users
as much as possible.
If this is the purpose i would suggest to make a pitool X edition
cleaned (without the code for 5k+/8k/8k+)
After the cleaning, Pimax could implement new optimizations
for 8KX users and then release them for others VR headsets
when it’s possible.

Why it is better to have Pitools and X pitools ?

1. 8KX users have a privileged treatment
  2. Pimax Users see what is coming for their VR headsets and are excited.
  3. 8KX became the testing platform.

Let’s say there is the possibility to make SMART SMOOTHING 2.0.
it’ s more easy to finalise the software testing on one VR headset thought from the beginning to not have 202,203,204…, running on few high end hardware configurations PC, at only one working frequency (75hz)

Pimax finishing SMART SMOOTHING 2.0 first
They could announce first new X Pitool Version
They will have good reviews from 8K X USERS
PIMAX reputation go high

1. porting on Artisan/5k+/8K/8K+ begins —> Likely less/no issues to fix on Pitool

I hope you like this idea

2 Likes

wasnt smartsmoofing 2.0 abandoned or put on hold??

It’s not a good idea to needlessly fork pitool for each model as they use the same core driver. We don’t need to add more time to pitool releases. Fragmenting pitool is not needed as the base of the headsets are the same and specific features to the model are revealed in pitool.

As for a treat? Well you backed to receive a prototype and are receiving a consumer release that includes a dual mode for native and upscaled mode.

11 Likes