Weekly update 29/04/2020 discussion

Labor day in the USA is September 7th and only 1 day. Vastly less holidays in the US than China.

Hi Noamloop - we’ve built a lot more internal samples for the X than any other prior headset. Also a lot of the components are iterative. We ramped the 8k+ quickly for a point of reference.

This will be the first one that initially ships with the MAS though.

12 Likes

Do I interpret that right that you don’t expect a feedback round necessary between backer units and preorder units? If yes, can the schedule for the preorder units already be estimated?

3 Likes

Once these sets of units get through assembly and testing we’ll see if any thing of concern arises there. The 30 internal we just built are testing great. Marcin and I will probably receive our samples during the holiday so we will both also add our 2 cents about the build quality etc.

17 Likes

These units are internally different/improved from the unit Sebastian received? I look forward to hearing your thoughts and experiences.

2 Likes

They are different and in fact a significant component was updated among other things. The CES devices were built back in December that have been shown. We made a lot of changes to the SMAS too btw.

These also have a level of consistency that is vastly better than the CES samples. Optical consistency is extremely important as in the early days of the 5k+ and 8k we found that a fair amount of reports were the result of lens and panel placement slightly out of spec.

21 Likes

This sounds really promising, can you confirm if there will be a new Pitool for the 8KX please. I’m still concerned that the issues i’m seeing with the latest Pitool version on my 5k+ will be present with the 8KX when i recieve it?

2 Likes

@PimaxUSA
Hi Kevin

Sounds great and very promising, but what about us who opted for the DMAS ? will we go the the back of the queue or just get it delivered with SMAS and the have the additional headphones sent later ?

5 Likes

The first batch of 100 8k-X does not necessarily mean that Pimax plans same kind of the field test. They may simply be testing their “production line”.

4 Likes

I worked as a product development manager for a small company back in the days so I knew that when they mentioned not all toolings done, not all components are in, etc, it meant it’s not gonna be shipped out any soon (Corona or no Corona). The product is somewhat complicated so I wouldn’t be surprised if it actually slides to Q4 or later for reasons. If it makes it to me within this Summer, I’d say swell.

6 Likes

Thank you for the reply that sounds very promising indeed. :0)

1 Like

Early bird 8KX, backer number 2xx.
I guess I could be in the first 100, but who knows. Currently nobody including Pimax I think. :wink:
Shelved Alyx till I get the 8KX. Probably a bad decision. :laughing:
Have a nice weekend!

2 Likes

Thank you have added backer bling.

3 Likes

Your question has already been answered before in another thread, see this one:
https://community.openmr.ai/t/question-about-8kx-with-deluxe-mas/26919?u=dmel642

4 Likes

So you need to be more clear to us all,what significant component was updated?
So please a honest answer here please…

7 Likes

Agreed, why the mystery? We’d all like to know what was improved. Thanks

7 Likes

@PimaxUSA & @PimaxQuorra
I have not seen any update on the controllers. As a backer that expected the controllers years ago, to not even see them mentioned in the weekly updates is very concerning. Please provide an update of the production status of the controllers have you have committed to during the kickstarter campaign.

6 Likes

I am wondering the same thing. What will happen to those of us who ordered the DAS?

4 Likes

They need to keep it a secret so they can reveal it during the Pimax NOW event. For reasons.

2 Likes

It’s probably a component no one understands on a technical level. He doesn’t want to bog people down with boring details :wink:

2 Likes