Pimax 8kx hertz limitation

since i saw that the 5k super in running on higher hertz the lower the fov gets.

i was asking myself if the 8kx also does get this feature .

like large fov 75 hz , normal fov 90hz , small fov 110hz for example.

and my other question is , what if the nvidia 3000 series will get displayport 2.0.

can we upgrade the 8kx then , with a new cable , to displayport 2.0 aswell? or will that be more complicated ?

would one of my questions be possible ?

4 Likes

My understanding is that at least 1 chip on the headset circuit board would need to be replaced. No chip to handle DisplayPort 2.0 is available in production quantities, so Pimax can’t update the circuit board yet.

Replacing a chip is not practical, so you’d need a new circuit board. Opening a Pimax headset is non-trivial, so I think we’re stuck with the current implementation, until an 8KX+ is released.

That being said, there have been hints that a higher refresh rate may be possible with the current hardware (no need to use DP 2.0).

8 Likes

I don’t want to raise hope, but @PimaxUSA did mention some interesting stuff changed on the 8KX - if that is such a thing that was upgraded could be part of P-Day 3 Informatuons, I guess.

5 Likes

I’m also looking for more Hz features for 8kx. Since my 5k+ (204) is 144hz device I changed all my sim settings to 144hz with smart smoothing on , so 72 true frames but this feature in my eyes look munch better than 90hz or even 120hz native. I dont see even munch ghosting issues in cockpit view ( inside car or plane) which in 45/90 or 60/120hz modes are still very noticable. Love it and recommending for PC2, ACC, Dirt Rally 2, IL2…

4 Likes

Every time Pimax say they have some really positive news coming, it turns out to be a massive disappointment. I’m not getting any hopes up at all for yet another “announcement”, they’ve been saying for months that we’ll have our return labels “soon” but they haven’t even managed that part yet, the only “announcement” I want is my tracking number to say my 8K-X is on the way over 2 years late.

3 Likes

This reminds me, if not anything as radical as DP 2.0, then perhaps we can hope for a reliable increase in native refresh rate. Still don’t know if 90Hz could be handled by the cable, but perhaps an update on 80-85Hz support

2 Likes

Well it’s understandable to be sceptical, but I thing it was pointed out that something was changed and it sounded more like it’s hardware related, maybe it’s just a gold coated audio jack but somehow I think it’s not… Hope dies last :joy:

4 Likes

I’m really hoping its a bride chip and it means they can do a firmware update when the Nvidia ampere cards release to enable DP 2.0.

2 Likes

It would be a great change, so I don’t expect it, but I do hope so :grin::grin: - does that make sense :see_no_evil::exploding_head:

4 Likes

I don’t know how they did it for the 5k+, but one thing some of us have been banging on about since the Kickstarter, is the simple concept of not wasting bandwidth on the unused parts of the screen, if the silicon has any functionality to “skip” them, either through compositing of a smaller frame, the signal itself coming with modulo at the tail of each line, or compression being able to “disappear” the weight of wide swathes of pure black.

The immediately following request was inevitably foveated transport. :7

…so if any of the supposed new features make room for any of that sort of stuff, on top of the already relied-on compression, should it not already do all that can be done for that, then I guess one could hope… :7

'Wonder if maybe they eventually did cram in a Bluetooth adapter, after all, for waking up base stations, configuring and updating them, and putting them back to sleep…

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.