VRGamerDude: HP Reverb G2 Live Unboxing and First Impressions

5 Likes

Nice I must have missed Sebā€™s video on this oneā€¦ Will watch it now! []-)

3 Likes

Hi vrgamerdude. One of the biggest issues I am having with my 8KX, is setting the IPD.

Does the G2, give you some help in this matter. IE screen or app to help. I see many instances of folks taking up to months to adjust their IPD. Some even mentioned, when taking off the headset, their real world view was messed up.

This is very important to me. Iā€™m a professional airline pilot, I canā€™t afford to have my vision messed up, trying to set an IPD on the 8KX. So, hoping that G2 realized how important this is to get right, and have given us the ability to safely do so.

If the answer is in the affirmative, I may have to sell the 8KX. It is my hope on the next release of PE, this aspect of use was taken seriously.

I know it wonā€™t be automatic, but at least perhaps something that works, so Iā€™m not watching my eyes go cross eyed when trying to set my IPD. My remaining career canā€™t afford to do so.

However, inthe short time I have been trying VR, I am hooked.

Thank YOu
David

Yes: I have read every setup guide posted, including Neal comprehensive guide.

4 Likes

I have a 1080ti also and I found that I have to turn the sampling rates down with the 8kx in order to get playable framerates. I noticed a marked improvement in clarity with it when I turn the sampling rates back up just to see how it looks. I donā€™t think the 2070 super is any faster than the 1080ti? It just has the RTX features.

Have you tried turning up the sampling rates in the 8kx to see if the clarity between the two headsets gets closer? I suspect that there should be a point of diminishing returns where the clarity does not get any higher on either headset. But if you are testing games with the same sampling rates for both headsets then in that scenario the G2 would have greater clarity. I would expect that the wider FOV of the 8kx would require more GPU power to get to the same clarity of the G2, if it can.

2 Likes

Since the G2 is a normal fov headset that doesnā€™t use canted lenses I expect that setting up IPD for it is much easier and no more difficult than setting it has been on previous headsets.

1 Like

You have problem with tracking probably because of too much light, Sebastian explained in a video

2 Likes

Me too ! That was the other thing that made me order the G2.
First time i put on the Q2 and I was blown away. It made me question my Faith(faith in Pimax, gotta be careful or the Pimax Gods may strike me down for spouting sacrilege)

2 Likes

Make sure you are using 1.5V batteries and not 1.2v ones as apparently that makes a ton of difference.

2 Likes

Do you have similar trqcking problems with oculus headsets?

I was playing pop1 on quest 2 and on numerous occasions the controllers would lose tracking quite often.

Strangely from day one iā€™ve never had any issue with Quest 1 tracking but with Q2 i lost tracking during the onboarding demo.

Also since you can use index controllers with the G2 (see @mixedrealityTVā€™s video on this) would that just basically kill the Pimax for you?

Best visuals, best audio, and steam vr tracking for the controllers would be hard to beat no?

1 Like

The one thing we havenā€™t confirmed yet is the Pimax endangering lives.

Nopeā€¦ tried it in many different lighting situations and even different rooms and got the same result!

1 Like

The G2 doesnā€™t have canted displays so the IPD is just a slider and is no different than setting it for most other headsets with this type of IPD adjustment systemā€¦ It basically just like the Quest 1 does or the original Oculus CV1 or Vive did.

Been using my 8KX prototype and retail 8KX on my 1090 ti and all I ever had to do to maintain framerate was set some games to mediumā€¦ never noticed any lost frames in most anything I played with my old setupā€¦ and yes the 1080ti is still technically a bit better on paper but i can say I am able to push things higher in my 8KX using the 2070 super now!

1 Like

I amā€¦ Just regular Energizer batteries so far and yes they are fresh!

2 Likes

no tracking issues with any of my other headsetsā€¦ well the non WMR ones that isā€¦ I really think this is just some of the old WMR issues that have never been addressed by MS! []-(

1 Like

Hmm this could be a deal breaker. I had both odyssey headsets and tell me something.

They had this issue where if you put the headset on and it failed to recognize your playspace (which it often would unless I put on the full brights) the only way to fix it was to take off the headset and close the MRPortal and restsrt it with the lights on and hope it recognized the space this time.

This was a deal breaker back then and I feel like it would be a deal breaker for me now.

FYI, we made some significant changes on how this works in the next Pitool.

8 Likes

Iā€™m waiting on my preorder for the G2.
I have 5k+ and fed up of games not working correctly or you have to mess about with the settings, I love the fov on the Pimax but I hardly use it due to having to set it up for dvery game nearly.

1 Like

Thats strange about ypur tracking issues.
Yesterday mrtv did a live stream and played an hour population one with no issuesā€¦climbing,aiming down the site etc.

See here;

5 Likes

You have to try to understand the problem, because both Sebastian and Tyrielwood are posting gameplay videos on population One and the tracking works perfectly.

2 Likes