VRGamerDude: HP Reverb G2 Live Unboxing and First Impressions

The Reverb G2 and P8kX should be very similar as far as resolution (in PPD) goes; They have the same height in pixels, and similar vertical FOV. The latter has wider FOV, but also wider screens, full of additional pixels to fill it with, so there should be no comparative stretching there.

Much as I am a total glutton for FOV and resolution, I am seriously wondering whether I, if for my next headset I could have only one improvement, would not choose HDR, with better peak brightness and black level, as well as larger colour gamut, over both of those twoā€¦

(At the moment I am considering consigning my P8kX to the cupboard, and just carry on with the Index. I really do miss the 8kXā€™s resolution, which e.g. does absolute wonders for spaceships and planets in Elite Dangerous, but it is frankly wasted on sub-par optics in the 8kX, which negates almost all its benefits. The FOV, it turns out, I do not miss ā€“ not because I donā€™t ravenously crave more FOV - I most certainly do, but because I actually get more of a sense of wide FOV in the 110Ā°-ish Index than I do in the 160Ā° P8kX, for the same reason of optics that fundamentally squanders those pretty numbers off the specs sheet; A case of an almost fully useful moderate FOV, versus a wall-eyed pair of tiny FOVs, surrounded by a comparatively large one that is just disturbing blur and distortion (I can look around in the Index, and resolve things - not in the 8kX).
(Funnily, I have played for some minutes, in a couple of games, with the P8kX lenses replaced with a ludicrous binocular-like contraption holding weaker conventional glass lenses, and even with the resulting complete and utter mismatches, have a much better experience than with the vanilla lenses; Sharp as hell, in the entire (reduced) stereo overlap area, great contrast, almost no glare, better sense of depth ā€“ stereo turns out to actually kind of work quite well, surprisingly, in the middle of the view, before the mismatched cameras and distortion correction makes the views diverge too much. :P))

13 Likes

@vrgamerdude Thanks for the 8KX comparison points. Look forward to hearing more thoughts from you on this comparison after youā€™ve had a bit more time with G2. So far sounds like the G2 has a better image than the 8kx for you. Iā€™ll be curious to see if the image is so much better that you ultimately prefer using it over your 8kx in spite of the reduced FOV. Thanks again for the impressions. :+1:

4 Likes

If you like the Q2 and Cosmos Elite then you will LOVE the G2 when it comes to screen clarity and lack of perceivable SDE!

3 Likes

Yeah I do love the wide FOV of the Pimax headsets but that is in no way y main want in an HMDā€¦ the screen clarity is what I love and I will say that yesā€¦ so far I feel the G2 inches out the 8KX in that area by just a small amountā€¦ for me it is so far the trackingā€¦ Canā€™t play games if the controllers keep floating away! Well you could do sims but not action with it in this current state. i am going to continue testing though to see if the issue is environmental and hopefully it isā€¦ i really want to love this G@ headset but I need it to be solid I the tracking to do so!

5 Likes

Better image quality for sureā€¦ but not much better!

3 Likes

Seems quest 2 tracking is superior to the g2. Iā€™ve not yet seen my controllers drift away like that so far.

2 Likes

IMO Quest tracking is miracle, Iā€™ve lot of tracking type & the only disadvantage the Q tracking has if you put it behind your back for more than 2 seconds then it stucks, but otherwise itā€™s best, easy to run solution, itā€™s always with you & you donā€™t need mounting a lot of cameras around to to avoid lossing it occasionally, WMR isnā€™t close to it, I didnā€™t try new G2 with 4 cameras but nobody yet but Oculus did decent optical tracking I know so far.

Steam VR is nice, CV1 IR tracking is nice & is better due to some params, but really the only disadvantage I noted after these years of using Quests is the back tracking lose for more than 2 seconds delay outside the camera track (sometime happens in Echo when you look behind your opponents & you keep flying forward if you try to grab something or throw the disk it will fail, but it happens 3-5% of time & doesnā€™t bother at all & Echo for me is the only game I experience issues with it in.

2 Likes

What graphics card are you using to drive both headsets? That will impact the experience with a wide FOV vs narrow FOV if you canā€™t hit the same resolution PPDs.

1 Like

I actually tried to put controllers behind my back on the quest 2, and quickly turn around, they were still there at the exact spot they were. Like magic.

As a long time valve tracking user I see no problem with me using the oculus tracking at all.

2 Likes

itā€™s not about them floating, if your cameras start track it (when you turn your head) they are repositioned & the software is very smart. However if you canā€™t operate an object if cameras donā€™t track it in regard to movement (buttons still work), e.g. if you grab a surface in zero G behind your back - you can pull yourself off until you recover tracking by putting hands in your vision, if you just move it behind the back it perfectly works as accelerometer calculates it for 2-3 seconds & during this time you can pull yourself off, but if you make a longer pause & keep your hands outside cameras range then it stucks until you recover tracking, you donā€™t see hands floating, they recover almost invisible for your & natural which is a great feature

2 Likes

I see, maybe I didnā€™t try a game yet that needs controllers way behind me so I never noticed. The extreme peripheral tracks quite well tho.

1 Like

What about immersion?
Which do you feel gives an overall more compelling gaming experience?

Increased clarity on the g2 but lacking peripheral vision or
The wider fov of 8kx but not quite as sharp as g2.

I would think I prefer the fov but until I try the g2 there is no definite answer. I would never know until I try them all lol.

2 Likes

Do you get a motion blurring effect on the G2, when you turn your head?

In my 8KX whenever I turn my head the picture gets blurry, something I never experienced with the Index for example.

1 Like

My new PC has a 2070 super my old PC has a 1080ti. I have used the 8KX on both GPUā€™s successfully but only ever used the G2 on the 2070 super.

1 Like

Thatā€™s most likely because of the 75hz of the 8KXā€¦ The G2 runs at 90hz native and noā€¦ I do not see any blurring or smearing with fast head movements in the G2.

5 Likes

For increased immersion it is the 8KX hands downā€¦ the peripheral makes a huge difference for me thereā€¦ but I did feel pretty deep down the rabbit hole with the G2 as well just not as deep! [;]-)

6 Likes

I couldnā€™t agree moreā€¦ best inside out tracking there is currently!

2 Likes

Yes I agree so farā€¦ IMHO It is the best inside out tracking out there currently!

2 Likes

You should try pairing the Index controllers with the G2 for better tracking.

2 Likes

I mightā€¦ I have heard that doing this is a bit janky though because of having to mesh the two tracking systems togetherā€¦ any chance anyone has a good tutorial for doing that? I would also like to use them with my Q2 while using Virtual Desktop streaming if that is even possible!

1 Like