VoodooDE KDMAS Review (Now Working, Use Adapter Cable to Left Connector)

This is exactly how I feel. This has been my life since buying into the kickstarter. I love the visuals but man I’m a little tired. I just want to enjoy VR again like a normal person.

I’m on these forums every day , because I have no choice. The Pimax is a headset in constant need of improving. You have to come back here every day hoping for a new Pitool to solve one issue or another.

Or hope that they finally decide to release some info on the location of parts ordered years ago.

I’ve projected that my life on these forums will last at least a few more years because the controllers are nowhere in sight and who knows if i’ll ever get my basestations.

On one hand I just want the simplicity you speak of.

On another hand its lies spread directly from major influencers like these that make me very defensive about the brand.

Do you find that patience tested sometimes?

6 Likes

Well said…I feel the same way. Love my 8KX but it takes too much work to get there.

2 Likes

I could write a book about the history of Pimax and the beginning of the Pimax headsets. It was (no it still IS) such a brutal chaos, never seen this before. People came and people left Pimax. No employee there knows what the other employees do. No plan, no marketing strategy.
See the names of the headsets? See the names of the accessories. It’s such a chaos, nobody knows what to buy and if there is a new version coming out tomorrow.
Also: promises promises promises… I was promised to get a 8K-X and Artisan review unit long before the release. Where is it? I dont think they’re doing that on purpose, it’s just the chaos with the marketing people that are changing nearly every week. Who is responsible for the review units today? I have no idea. Why do I have to search thousands of forum threads and even reddit to find a manual how to attach the eye tracking module onto the bigger fase gasket for example?
All these things caused that I dont want and dont have time to stay up to date with all that Pimax stuff…

Just to make it clear: I love the Pimax headsets, they’re so good and I love to play with them. Only reason why I show my gameplay videos with Index is the better micro and better screen mirror. I play my private sessions with Pimax all the time!

BUT PLEASE: GET RID OF THAT CHAOS FINALLY!!

20 Likes

Agreed too many botched Day 1 releases. Even the Backer Boxes came with 0 instructions.

And if were going by what they said it is also missing the Wireless coupon(though might be best as they will likely need to release discount code later if it releases).

The flip flopping on promises is also a big show stopper.

Thanks for coming Voodoo. I do often wonder what @yanfeng thoughts are on all these things.

6 Likes

What he writes in those screenshots is my exact experience with the p8kX, though, just like with the p5k+ before it, and as such not a lie at all. If your unit differs: Can I swap devices with you?

3 Likes

wow thats 4 direct responses from 4 of the biggest VR youtubers in a week. 3 of them on these very forums. I must have the ability to strike a nerve :slightly_smiling_face:

First, @Tyrielwood then @mixedrealityTV then @VoodooDE and Zimtok5 on youtube.

much love…i only comment because I care :kissing_heart:

I suspected all of what you said…i could feel it. You’re usual fire around receiving a new Pimax product wasn’t like

:laughing: oh my god, look what Pimax sent me!

it was more like

:pensive: oh my god look what Pimax sent me.

Look forward to your G2 review.

4 Likes

my favorite part of that video is the last 10 minutes

2 Likes

When I made a ticket about having my 8KX and no Base stations/Controllers they sent them out to me within 10 days. I was just asking for an ETA so I could start to use the headset. I only just received them two weeks ago.

Which makes me think you need to bump them with a ticket to get them moving @drowhunter

2 Likes

Any chance you can test the KDMAS on one of your 5K+?

Also @VoodooDE you with your 8K+ you might try this:

5 Likes

Have you tried the adapter cable? My friend has an 8K+ and KDMAS I sold and had similar issue, but solved it by plugging both 3.5 cables from KDMAS to adapter cable, adapter cable to left 3.5 port of 8K+.

3 Likes

thanks i will

Hi Kevin, I already tries this, no difference, no bass.

Edit: I didnt try to use the adapter cable with the 8K+, will try that soon

4 Likes

Sorry for stepping in on that topic.
Plugging a stereo cable half way in usually leads to double one channel, meaning the sense of stereo is gone. Yes, it might appear to be significantly louder but the signal is still broken. Many people today have lost the sense for stereo unfortunately (using BT devices where LR channels are close together, soundbars and so on), so it would not be much of a surprise that someone trying to fix an issue that way, would not notice to introduce other issues.

edit:
doubling a channel may lead to phase issues as well, those usually sound like a lack of bass as frequencies are canceling each other out.

5 Likes

So I tried it now with the adapter cable (connected to the left port of the Pimax 8K+) and it WORKS!! Sound is MUCH better then!

16 Likes

That’s awesome and great to hear!

I was just shocked that the sound was any different from the various samples. They all had nice bass and sound imho that was a bit better than the Vive DAS.

5 Likes

That’s great to hear…gives me hope again for the DMAS :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

Just tried my KDMAS speakers out just now, they work fine but the biggest problem is they don’t push against my ears, so I’m losing all the bass. Is there some way to get them tighter? I’m already using those sponge cups that come with it. Frustrating because I only have to push on them slightly to massively improve the sound.

2 Likes

Is the rod connecting the KDMAS speakers a replaceable part? I could 3D print replacements with appropriate shape/elasticity…

2 Likes

You could potentially diassemble the rod, but risk damaging the wire which they’ve fed through it.

I think the simplest solution, via printing anyway would be to extend the depth of the addon cups. The plastic part is simple you could model it then extend and put the sponge parts onto your print.

From a commercial solution standpoint, it could have been a two piece item with a plastic screw thread that adjusts the depth of the cup.

Any change like this could potentially be unsuitable however as the the force you’d need to get ear pressure is straining the strap hinges…

4 Likes

What about looking for slightly deeper cups/pads?

3 Likes