Vive DAS on the 8kx

Hello, I just got my 8kx, I like it, but I prefer the vive DAS I have on my 5k+, I have the 3d printer adapter for the 5k+, that same adapter should should to put the DAS on the 8kx shouldn’t it?

2 Likes

Yeah it should work.

2 Likes

Yes it’s the same :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Im not sure about sides, but top part is definitely different

check this https://community.openmr.ai/t/pimax-8kx-with-eye-tracker-vive-das-original-front-cowling-vr-n-chill-and-usb-c-hub/29903

although maybe og kit will fit, coz it maybe only the strap hole is wider but the socket itself may stay intact

https://community.openmr.ai/t/8k-x-modular-audio-strap-mas-ergonomically-horrible-can-we-diy-fix-it/30609/456?u=teigue

The Vive DAS adapter will work on all Pimax headsets. The 8KX has a slightly wider hole to accommodate the MAS headstrap but the key shape is still the same fit. Here’s the 8K next to the 8KX for comparison.

6 Likes

It fit, the sides were actually a little hard, the plastic was almost too thick to fit around the pin.
But it worked out.

1 Like

If anyone needs it I designed a bracket that bolts around the top strap slot and also clears the comfort kit if fitted:

Its also on my Shapeways shop if you don’t have a printer (not cheap on there though): https://www.shapeways.com/shops/miltech-simulations

I would like to do the Vive DAS mod as well. Do I just need to print the adapter from mentioned in this thread?
https://community.openmr.ai/t/pimax-8kx-with-eye-tracker-vive-das-original-front-cowling-vr-n-chill-and-usb-c-hub/29903

Is it easy to take off the MAS and do the replacement? I don’t wanna mess it up, but also is the change reversible?

@Mr_Teatime Are you saying if I use the Pimax comfort kit with the thin foam, I should use your adapter instead of the one on Genesis’ thread? Also what is HMDBottom and HMDTop files for? Will your strap adapter work with the eye tracking module?

Hi

Possibly - I’m not too familiar with the top strap adapter on Genesis’ thread, so can’t say if its better than that one, but I know when I got my 8K+ and on my 8K with the DAS I needed to get some vertical clearance over the comfort kit forehead moulding.
HMD Bottom and HMD Top are the two halves of the clamp that the mount uses to fix to the headset. Bottom goes inside the cavity below the strap slot and top goes on the top and the two are bolted together. The strap adapter then bolts to that assembly.
I don’t have the eye tracking module, so can’t say if it will work with that, sorry.

Hope all that lot made sense.

1 Like

Installed my VIve DAS from my 5K+ onto the 8kx. Its fits perfectly and has solved many issues with clarity, but especially the audio which I have attached onto a tiny USB C to stereo pin DAC.

1 Like

The same as @Goosekr i had many problems with Smas, sound, sweetspot, confort. I was very angry with this smas, and i just put my DAS (who was on my 5k+), and it woks ! perfectly ! i just change the cover too, with big Vrcover = confort, sweetspot, sound = PERFECT. :slight_smile: Now i m happy about my 8kx. i just will print another part on the front to have more facility to put the front strap. complicated to put with 8kx, but i did it, it’s possible.

1 Like

That’s awesome! I have all the parts I need for the Vive DAS. Looking forward to installing it tomorrow and then doing a review of it.

@Goosekr What is this tiny USB C to stereo pin DAC? Is this an adapter that you need to buy?

1 Like

It’s just a tiny USB soundcard with a 3.5mm mini stereo jack.

I don’t understand why that’s needed but maybe the jacks on the headset are mono?

If so a dual mono mini jack (male) to single stereo mini jack (female) adapter/cable should also work and it keeps Your USB C port available… :upside_down_face:

1 Like

Do you mean something like this?

Or this?

I’d appreciate a visual of it.

1 Like

Or this tiny one:

You probably have one of the cable type ones from Your phone (as most phones no longer have 3.5mm mini jacks)… :wink:

1 Like

Yes something like the above. I bought a high quality high Res Dac. It really is day and night versus plugging into the stereo pin port of the headset.

2 Likes

Ok, going to try this too, just bought the DAS on amazon for $99 and an adapter for $15. Let’s see if this works. The pimax mas is just horrible. If this fixes the comfort + audio then it’s a good buy for sure

2 Likes

Which one did you buy?

1 Like

I attached it to the bottom USB C port of the HMD

2 Likes