Valve HMD coming up?

Lol thats wicked pissah
pissah

1 Like

Paired with knuckles thereā€™s no doubt this would be an amazing headset. If they sell it at cost HTC will be in huge trouble

4 Likes

I donā€™t understand why one would reference diagonal fov without telling you either an aspect ratio or the degrees of the angle measured.

2 Likes

Let me explain this better. Valve canā€™t produce expensive headsets, if they can make them good and cheap, cheers.

They sell games, so they have to sell lots of headsets to sell lots of games. I never said they wouldnā€™t be able to do better.

2 Likes

Okay so your just stating they need to adopt WMR headset price point example. With lower system specs.

Though WMR already helps them sell games to lower end users.

However they could help bettet if they improve the LH price base cost. Ie $50 vs the $65.

Waiting for our Pimax headsets has already been painful ā€¦ now there is the Valve HMD to wait for too!

No idea when the specs will be officially announced or when it will be on sale or when we can get it.

Just more waiting without knowing how long weā€™re gonna wait!!!

6 Likes

If the FOV really does match Pimax ā€œNormalā€ 150 degrees FOV and the PPI and SDE is better or at the same level, then Pimax is in trouble.

And if the audio cones work and add to immersion a lot, then they may be something you donā€™t want to play without.

Long term I guess next year Pimax just needs to release the next Pimax model that is even better.

I donā€™t think Valve would keep their technologies (such as the audio cone thing) to themselves, they will share with companies like Pimax to grow the ecosystem of SteamVR headsets. Then Pimax could be the option for people who want the best FOV and Image Quality.

Pimax has the advantage that they can move fast. After Pimax 5K+/8K release, I think they will be able to be faster too.

5 Likes

If they use some next gen OLED tech from BOE then Pimax is in big trouble. On top of that why would anyone want Pimax controllers when you can have knuckles at the same price

3 Likes

Because we need to see how each knuckle design works.

All I think the pimax needs is the crush grip thing. The mini track slot seems like an after thought like the dev review stated.

are you sure about this comment lol

4 Likes

The glaring RED FLAG in this story was describing the new Valve HMD in conjunction with HL3 or some new version of HL. That has been the holy grail news announcement and the KING of all vaporware for years. There is a reason for the term ā€œValve Timeā€.

3 Likes

You donā€™t need to take my speech too far. The Vive model is OK, high quality, but saleable to millions of people. Valve to sell games also needs these games to be enjoyable. What I meant was just to not expect an headset in the Pimax segment, which targets a few tens of thousands people

1 Like

I donā€™t think Pimax is in anymore trouble that they already are, it was evident even in September 2017 that they had about 1.5 years gap to bring the 8K on the market. Now from what I see in the leak photos the IPD mechanism and lens are inline so the panels are not in angle difficult to reach a very high FOV. No signs of eyes tracking.

Resolution, without foveate rendering this new headset will stay in HTC Vive Pro PPI range. For the coming year only the 2080 and 2080TI and an hypothetical AMD GPU are on the table for HIGH END headsets. Has said by someone in this thread, Valve will not go for the extreme they want to sell games on Steam.

Personally, I even think Valve donā€™t really want to drive the VR market themselves on the hardware side for now. They can surely build anything but after that you have production, distribution, support, inventory, competition. They will enter the market if they see VR software sales declining on Steam but increasing elsewhere or like Microsoft build some kind of consortium and give a reference design

2 Likes

Done some more research ( I could be wrong limited info available).

1- I donā€™t see the VH marking on the Valve board so I suppose the ANX7530VH is a special ANX7530 repackage in a 169-BGA, 8x8mm package to be pin compatible with the ANX7538/ANX7539

And the one on the Valve board is really the ANX7530 100-pin BGA 5mm x 5mm
reference chip FP3 150= 7.25 x 6.7mm
ChipVSsize
2- @D3Pixel
The ANX7530 is the same chip that is used on the 8K and probably the 5k+ so how is it max out?
2.5K @ 90hz!?

From a message in this Forum:

ā€œIā€™m software engineer from Pimax, And Iā€™am very sorry that Pimax 8K have to need the 2 DP connections to support native 4K * 2 resolution, because we use the bridge chip - ANX7530 to convert DP 1.4 to MIPI, and the chip has some limitations as follows:ā€

3 Likes

the anx7530 is driving the 5k+ just fine and its unlikely that Valve is going for a higher res then 2560x1440 per eye as the 2080ti i just able to do it when you aim for 90 hz, is extremely pricey and there is nothing available with that much more power to handle higher res. and its not to expect that AMD will release something that hat so much more power then the 2080ti (usually there are just a few percent more to get the crown to be best performing), beside this going higher will make wireless kind of impossible for a while

also the fact that the valve hmdā€™s doesnā€™t use angled screens is a hint for a lower field of view then 170 diagonal of the Pimax hmdā€™s (yes i used the ā€œnormalā€ fov as standard as this is the only way without distortions), so iā€™d expect a sde/res comparable to the 5k+/8k with a lower fov (max. 150Ā° diagonal and max. 1440p res. - just guessing as everyone else does)

the ā€œmissingā€ eye tracking ā€¦ - from the pictures there is at least enough space left for that, as its still in development (in valve speed?) they might be able add it (but for what use, face recognition like seen in one older pictures seems much more useful and even tracking of hands/arms an feet/legs seems more useful atm)

the odd thing are the 2 cameras, lighthouse does not need them and knuckles controller are kind of contradicting hand tracking - beside the fact the hand tracking as available now is to limited because of its range where it can track)
speculations about inside out tracking seem pointless as the two camā€™s are too limited for this (see wmr or oculus quest)

3 Likes

Thanks.

I was looking at the bandwidth of the chip and thought some crappery must be done to make it work.

I have been corrected.

1 Like

I wonder if the ANX7530VH is really available and if Pimax is using it. If this was the case the 8K+ could be closer than we thinkā€¦

Anybody is brave enough to open his 5K+ and give us a photo of the PCB?:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::wrench::camera_flash:

1 Like

Will have mine in a week and will surely be opening it in the next few days after receiving it :slight_smile:

11 Likes

Thatā€™s what you think. They probably used superglue everywhere :smiley:

2 Likes

New proprietary screws.lol

2 Likes