USB 3.0 Eye Tracking Module Setup

Indeed which is why a visual check like the one spamenigma posted is good if you know what your looking at.

1 Like

Info FROM :

Conclusion

The present preliminary study shows that thanks to a temporal precision of 58.1 ms, HTC Vive Pro Eye is suited for peripheral visual field loss simulation and needs improvements for central visual loss simulation.

More
FROM APA PsycNet

Added eye tracking latency of 80ā€“150ms causes a significant reduction in acceptable amount of foveation, but a similar decrease in acceptable foveation was not found for shorter eye-tracking latencies of 20ā€“40ms, suggesting that a total system latency of 50ā€“70ms could be tolerated. (PsycINFO Database Record (c) 2017 APA, all rights reserved)

3 Likes

30hz is about 33ms of refresh period so event without any other latency in the system it seems borderline for quality ET. But in contrario to what a tough before my search 30hz may be enough for good enough ET, although I think 60hz would have been a safer value

1 Like

Since the discussion is happening in 2 different threads at the same time and is multilayered it can be a bit harder to follow specific aspects. So I want to be sure I understand it correctly.
5 days ago in the other thread it was discussed that the USB hub in the 5k (in the USB2137B chip) should be able to handle USB 3 and some of the headset systems do use the USB 3 that some of the outputs of the chip provides (but not the external ports as they are connected to the USB2 outputs). That idea was based on the predecessor of the chip in the Vive - USB5537B, since the specs for USB2137B couldnā€™t be found.
However as pointed out now the 5k uses USB2 connection to the PC so there is nothing USB3 in it. And even if the chip might support it, this is not actually used. So everything in the 5k runs over USB2. This is also in line with what some people have been saying about it running ā€œbetterā€ when connected to an USB2 port on the PC.
However the color of the plug doesnā€™t seem a 100% reliable argument to resolve the discussion as it is a proprietary Pimax cable and as the cable of the ET shows they donā€™t care about the USB standards.

3 Likes

well summarized. that was addressed several times before. pimax is silent about whether it is now in 2 or 10 new threads.

Yep, for 6 days now users have been trying to unravel the mystery while a simple answer from Pimax could provide the answers. I also havenā€™t seen an answer to the question if two modules plugged to the 5k would interfere with each other or not.

1 Like

You must understand that both the leap motion and the ET are USB camera, if my understating is correct you have 4 USB camera working in parallel

https://xinreality.com/wiki/Leap_Motion_VR

USB 3.0 2 monochromatic Infrared cameras, 1.3 Megapixels 115hz ( and this is the old device!)

So yes both module will interfere with each other for band pass. USB 2.0 seems insufficient

The Vive has the same problem
https://www.reddit.com/r/leapmotion/comments/axi3n5/does_leap_motion_use_the_full_usb_30_bandwidth/

Yes, my understanding about it is the same, as is of most people who I have seen commending on this. Thatā€™s why I was pointing out that Pimax hasnā€™t commented on this at all. The official line at the moment seems to be that 30Haz is good enough, but there has been no comment on how two modules can work at the same time.

2 Likes

Surprised? :wink: If I can cook you a Pimax response it would be : the modules work wonderfully if you use them with 2 USB 3.0 cables directly connected to your PC! 3 USB cables total!

In French we have saying ā€œjamais deux sans troisā€ : never 2 without three. Kind of palindromic could also say you use USB2.0 in a USB3.0 channel. What a wonderful modularity!

1 Like

I donā€™t think itā€™s that easy because the specifications were given in Kickstarter and we, as supporters, trust this information. there is a possibility to report this to Kickstarter in the campaign. to represent the fact there. I think it is a violation of the Kickstarter rules.

Gray area, but we are so far of the Kickstarter Campaign and beside it was no so evident to do a the timeā€¦ itā€™s just that once again Pimax over promise and some of us fall for it.

But for a Kickstarter Pimax did generally reach hid goal and gave us the first accessible large FOV Headset

1 Like

The current understanding is that all different systems in the headset are connected to one global hub. If this hub is USB3 capable and if the headset uses USB3 from/to the PC then the two modules can work at the same time without interfering even if each of them is using a port connected to an USB2 output of the hub.

Pimax canā€™t answer the question of the two modules working together without answering the question if anything in the headset uses USB3 at all.

forgetting that recommended setup for leap motion old module IS USB3.0

• Minimum system requirements (VR): Windows 7 SP1 64 bit or newer; Intel Core i5-4590 equivalent or greater; 8GB+RAM; 3x USB 3.0 port; NVIDIA GTX 970 / AMD R9 290 equivalent or greater with compatible HDMI 1.3 video output
3 Likes

gray area, no. So that exactly this case does not occur, there are these rules. if the Kickstarter says USB 3.0. and then the manufacturer sometimes only installs 2.0 in the devices. so that we get exactly the product that we supported.
Edit: Its possible to change hardware sure,but you have to inform the supporters.

Yep, forgetting this. :frowning:
So no handtracking on the 5kā€¦

Not necessarily but donā€™t hope great performance

the question can be answered quickly by someone who has already disassembled an old 5k (if the chip has not been polished)

Maybe @POVVR.se can help, if they are not bound by contracts

2 Likes

So ET only - somewhat working, HT only - somewhat working. Both of them together? Will depend on the hub and the connection to the PC. So my earlier point still stands.

I suggested early on in the other thread something like a mini USB3 hub on the straps. But if the proprietary cable is only USB2 capable then this is also not a solution.

By the way to complicate things the 3.0 specification on the Kickstarter page was for the 8K not the 5K+!

It is still on the actual webshop page for the 5k at the moment.