USB 3.0 Eye Tracking Module Setup

My eye tracking is completely invisible from windows.
https://community.openmr.ai/t/usb-3-0-eye-tracking-module-setup/30514/207?u=coverman

After installing PiToolSetup_1.0.1.264.exe the other day, the eye tracking module is no longer recognized by the USB connection built into 8KX.

I lost the way to verify it, so I bought a USB 3.0 type C cable that supports Oculus Link and connected it to my eye tracking module today.
https://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/product/B081N1W39Y

The result is the same, 8KX does not try to install AseeVR and Device Manager does not detect Droolon Pi1. Even if the USB cable is plugged in or unplugged, the device manager does not detect anything and no pluged signal sound is heard.
(Is the eye tracking module dead?)

The newly purchased USB 3.0 cable will recognize your mobile device. No doubt it’s working fine.

I may have to create a tech trouble ticket …

old image

2 Likes

It’s only an issue because we can’t attach it to the HMD’s USB port … You think this is lazy? :wink:

1 Like

まあ、一応、他のコンピュータにアイ・トラッキングを接続しましょう。
そのコンピュータでも、デバイスマネージャに表示されない場合、故障の可能性があります。
私はキャリブレーションが動作しなかった状況だったが、デバイスマネージャには表示された状況でした。
その後、USBポートを他のポートに接続したところ、キャリブレーションが正常に動作しました。

(Google翻訳は英語翻訳より日本語翻訳がよくなるので、日本語に翻訳しました)
(I used Japanese translation because Google translation is better in Japanese translation than English translation)

Thank you. nice suggestion for me.

I used the USB connector in the center of the eye tracker to connect directly to the 8KX and it was recognized.The installation is complete, but it stops at calibration.
The eye tracker is aliving.

But worse, the USB connector on the right side of the eye tracker is dying. The impression is that it is a little wobbly and the inside is damaged.

It recognizes slightly when I plug in the cable and disappears from the device manager when I release it.
Physically vulnerable …OMG…

USB-Cはんだが落ちたようです。
カバーを開け、直接はんだ付け作業をするか、
チケットを発行するか。。。
それとも眼トラッカー中央のUSBコネクタのみを使用する方法しかないようです。

まずは、ヘッドセットに接続された状態でキャリブレーションが動作しない場合、ヘッドセットのUSBを別のポートに接続してみてください。

(Google翻訳は英語翻訳より日本語翻訳がよくなるので、日本語に翻訳しました)
(I used Japanese translation because Google translation is better in Japanese translation than English translation)

i have my eye tracking connected to my 5k+ usb port. so yes it’s odd.

(UPDATE) I tried to pull the usb plug from the pimax from the usb port and the lights were still on the eye tracking.

only thing that made them turn off was unplugging the power cable from the dongle.

weird … what is powering this thing? it’s not the usb. :crazy_face:

2 Likes

Maybe the headset’s usb hub is powered from the power source, and the only thing sent over the USB line is data … Would make it possible to attach multiple USB devices to the HMD without running intpo power issues? Just guessing, not my field of expertise …

4 Likes

so if thats true would they even be abke to shut it down?

1 Like

Only if the HMD hardware supports it … If there is no switch of any kind between the power source and the USB hub, then no.

You still have an option though, but it only works if you power off the PC. You could power it through a PCIe-connector with one of these:

https://community.openmr.ai/t/sata-to-12vdc-power-for-your-headset/12174/10

1 Like

I almost sure it’s the firmware problem, all modern chips allows you to control periphery devices like IR diodes by switching microcontroller pins state & connected to it buffer electronics like power switch transistors etc. The power plug should be connected to the common + & it powers USB devices which is good (like in USB hub). So once they update the firmware I believe it should go off if HMD display is off, quite straight forward logic that doesn’t require proximity sensor.

2 Likes

I’m currently stuck at max. 60 fps tested with amcap, even with the recommended Oculus Link cable directly connected to the side of the eye tracker (front port is not connected). Same with my laptop. Do I need USB 3.0 or USB 3.1 ports in my PC? Beside the bad fps I also still have no luck with the calibration, the green dots just disappear :frowning: . I enabled the access for the desktop apps in the security settings as recommended.

just to comment the experience with the latest pitool (beta) 1.0.1.264 and the new eye tracking aSeeVR UserSDK 1.0.0.10 - as pimax asked at least twice by mail and forum pm to install and fill out a new survey

for me the new version(s) broke the eye tracking support, it did work before but now its not detecting the eyes after starting the calibration tool (2 green dots for 1 second and then black squares)
the system is still detecting the camera in device manager (works with amcap @118Hz)
removed aSeeVr 1.0.0.10 and reinstalled 1.0.0.8 - worked again
made copy’s of both versions as they where installed to have all files to compare and check
when comparing the C:\7invensun\aSeeVR_UserSDK\runtime\aSeeVRServer.log

it was fpr 1.0.010
[2020-09-21 23:24:17.601]: sdk path: C:\7invensun\aSeeVR_UserSDK\runtime\devices\Pimax\config
[2020-09-21 23:24:17.602]: service addr: 127.0.0.1:5777

and for 1.0.0.8 there was much more
[2020-09-21 22:38:33.620]: sdk path: C:\7invensun\aSeeVR_UserSDK\runtime\devices\Pimax\config
[2020-09-21 22:38:33.621]: service addr: 127.0.0.1:2001
[2020-09-21 22:38:47.793]: sdk path: C:\7invensun\aSeeVR_UserSDK\runtime\devices\Pimax\config
[2020-09-21 22:38:47.799]: internal sdk init: 0
[2020-09-21 22:38:47.799]: internal sdk set image callback: 0
[2020-09-21 22:38:47.803]: internal sdk start camera: -2112
[2020-09-21 22:40:03.431]: sdk path: C:\7invensun\aSeeVR_UserSDK\runtime\devices\Pimax\config
[2020-09-21 22:40:03.437]: internal sdk init: 0
[2020-09-21 22:40:03.437]: internal sdk set image callback: 0
[2020-09-21 22:40:06.874]: internal sdk start camera: 0
[2020-09-21 22:40:06.874]: internal sdk start gaze callback_ex: 0
[2020-09-21 22:40:06.874]: tracking mode: [3]

the path to the config of the device was the same in both
C:\7invensun\aSeeVR_UserSDK\runtime\devices\Pimax\config
but in 1.0.0.10 seems to stop right after starting, it can’t be broken by default, they do some testing at pimax before releasing it so it might be some configuration problem
with a fresh 1.0.0.10 this config folder was mostly empty, so i copied the content of config directory from 1.0.0.8 to the installed 1.0.0.10 and after restarting the runtime and forwarder the calibration worked
for whatever the runtime/server is looking (maybe FD.ini or EyeTracking.ini?) it can be fixed with the content of the config folder of the older version

hard to say if it woks better now, it still warm with the standard foam from last year’s 5k+ backer unit (thin foam i guess)

@Miracle, maybe inform the 7invensun dev’s about the missing “dependencie” in the device folder of the userSDK

5 Likes

Get it,very professional analysis thank you.

Anyone succes to make it work at 120hz? It seems complicated, even with a good cable…

As the eye tracking module came back from repair, I try to do conection test again.

The LED on the module is now lit and the connection between the device manager and PiTool is now normal.

The calibration wasn’t working properly, but for a moment a red dot appeared and it seemed to detect my eye movements. only 1 time・・・.

The Unity scene seems to keep working , but the calibration seems to keep stopping.

I also connected the oculus link compatible USB directly to the PC, but the result did not change. I tried switching the settings with AMCap, but it doesn’t work at 118Hz.

How was the result of the survey?

1 Like

i had this issue, don’t have time to try this tonight, but good to know someone else had issues.

1 Like

Hello
I had the same problem, I could not calibrate the eytracker.
I have to use pitool 1.0.1.264 with the aSeeVr runtime from this page.微站
I uninstalled all other aSeeVR programs before.
Now it works for me.
During the test with a 5m Oculus Link cable @ USB 3.0, I got about 100hz

3 Likes

I’m having the exact same issue! Where did you install version 1.0.0.8?

Edit: Thanks @Necromenz

1 Like

Okay so using the aSeeVr runtime version linked above fixes the eye tracking calibration at 120Hz but then the eye tracking doesn’t actually work in games. It stays fixed instead of dynamic. You can test this in the Siberia map in Pavlov. Go to certain areas and you will see the tunnel vision doesn’t move.

So we need Pimax or 7invensun to fix their latest eye tracking version for compatibility with 120Hz.

3 Likes

The aSeeVR version Necromenz provided is 1.0.3. How do you download 1.0.8? Pitool downloads 1.0.10