[Updated] 8K Arrived Monday 25th Feb 2019, it's not plug and play but after tweaking it's amazing

No - run Assetto Corsa with PiTool at 1.75, SteamVR Video at 20% and SteamVR App Setting at 100%

See how that goes and also remember to turn off desktop scaling in the Nvidia Control Panel. There is a thread on Assetto Corsa tweaking here you can look up.

1 Like

Has anyone been able to get Artika 1 to work properly on the 5k+ ?

1 Like

This morning I had a teamviewer session to sort out my issues.

1. Basestation/single lighthouse wonā€™t track the headset.

My mancave is very small and the furthest I can get LH from my head is still under 2m in a straight line. Iā€™m not knocking down walls for this. Anyway, my LH is Gen1 apparently although I was told it shouldnā€™t be an issue, the final result was RMA for a hardware fault. I wasnā€™t told what the fault was, but it must be sensors or gyros as the screens look awesome and I can still use it until I get the RMA details and send it off.

1. World wobble using it without LH tracking.

Never got to sort this out, itā€™s bearable in fast moving games. The hmd is too good to leave lying around. Iā€™m going to spend the time on refining settings for clarity improvements.

Disappointing to get a duffer after such a long wait but Iā€™m a patient person, and Iā€™ve a busy life to keep me distracted anyway.

2 Likes

You do have bluetooth on your PC I take it (motherboard or usb)?
I needed a bluetooth dongle before the lighthouse would do anything. I have a small mancave/cupboard myself.

Soon as I plugged a bluetooth dongle in, and moved the HMD around a little, the SteamVR and pitool detected my vive lighthouse and all was good to go.

If thats not it then goodluck with the RMA

Which headset? Backer or pre order?

Pimax support have determined there is a hardware fault, they didnā€™t mention Bluetooth.

1 Like

Truth users without BT have ran LHes more or less fine

I donā€™t have Bluetooth and my base station is working with my 8K. Iirc, BT is only used for firmware updates for the BS. If you donā€™t have BT, you can connect the BS via a USB cable to update the firmware. Honestly, the BS seems like a simple device, Iā€™m not sure why youā€™d ever need to update it.

3 Likes

FW updates and to shutdown the basestations, yes.

3 Likes

Ah, shutdown. Thatā€™s an important feature. Iā€™ve got my base station and headset plugged into remote-controlled power sockets. (2, so I can turn them on in a particular order.)

1 Like

Having RMAā€™d my 8K, I have gone back to my Rift. Iā€™d like to officially withdraw all criticism of my 8K headset (RMA issue aside), because putting the low res binoculars back on has made me realise how good the 8K really isā€¦

Great work Pimax, the 8K is glorious!

6 Likes

I have had DPD notification that my replacement 8K is arriving on Mondayā€¦I really canā€™t wait. Not a bad turnaround overall, my only gripe was that it took the UK warehouse 6 days to confirm to Pimax they had received the HMD I returned. I followed all instructions to the letter and provided the tracking number which had confirmation of delivery. Overall a relatively painless experience, well done Pimax youā€™re getting there!

I hope this one is fully functioning, because going back to using the rift has been painful.

2 Likes

Replacement received, however world wobble and tracking issues are exactly the same as the previous HMDā€¦fingers crossed a teamviewer session can sort it for me.

Did you get your lighthouse brand new? I bought two of them used and both were bad, it took two days to figure out. LH will show in both Pitool and SVR, but wonā€™t work. See this thread:

https://community.openmr.ai/t/v1-valve-lighthouses-identification-and-diagnostic/16330

If image clarity is still a problem: remove SVR resolution cap and use near field IPD image (see wiki of this forum) . Also, HMD Is best focused when it is low on my nose to me, but this was painful until I fixed comfort issues. Unlike oculus or Odyssey however, I never have to adjust Pimax HMD to move it into focus - it is always in focus, huge step up from older devices.

1 Like

Lighthouse is wired into PC via USBā€¦itā€™s a V1 I got from the bay but it looked new (all the sticky stuff still on it).
After multiple SteamVR crashes and runnig a steamVR system report all of a sudden SteamVR says the headset is now tracking. PiTool allowed me to run room setup ok, but now says not tracked under the LH.

Clarity is fine now (no check that itā€™s feckin awesome!), that was just down to settings.

World wobble is still a problem thoughā€¦Iā€™ve requested a session with Domanā€¦

You do not need to wire base to the PC, that is only needed for FW update. Make sure youā€™re on the latest FW (436) and no error codes are detected. Unfortunately, your experience sounds exactly like what happened to me.

2 Likes

The wobble shouldnā€™t be there, i got it a few times so now i know what the famous wobble looks like. It was related with tracking/performance issues, one of the two, iā€™m not sure

1 Like

I donā€™t have bluetooth on my PC so Iā€™m having to use the usb cableā€¦firmware is saying v298, but when I check in SteamVR it says itā€™s the latest version/up to date

Neither Bluetooth or usb cable needed. The lighthouse simply projects beams that the headset & controllers tracking sensors use for positioning info.

2 Likes

I have the same problem. It takes quite some effort to get tracking working, but after that itā€™s great.

I bought mine brand new and have it 2.5 m from my desk, where I play seated VR games (only). Iā€™m only using 1 lighthouse, which might be exacerbating the problem.

1 Like