[Updated] 8K Arrived Monday 25th Feb 2019, it's not plug and play but after tweaking it's amazing

Subpixel Resolution is
3x1440 pimax 5k+
2x1200 rift & og vive

So yes something off in your settings.

1 Like

Iā€™m using 2889 lines for the 5k+, which isnā€™t undersampling. It is clear, itā€™s just that if you run the Rift with the same resolution, the Rift also benefits from supersampling. I wonder if people have been comparing the PiMax with the OR/Vive using the same supersampling for all headsets. Since thatā€™s completely arbitrary what 1.0x means, it can give an unfair comparison.

I also need to add Iā€™ve only tried with parallel projection compatibility enabled. I need to find a game that doesnā€™t need it, and doesnā€™t require controllers to see if itā€™s better with that setting disabled.

You would need to increase the 5k+ res to equal the same amount of SS ratio on the 5k+ as the rift.

Otherwise your not comparing them on equal amount of SS.

Not exact but your essentially rift x1.5+ SS & 5k+ at less

Rift/og Vive 1080x1200/eye
Pimax 5k+ 2560x1440/ eye

Running rift at 2889 is considerably higher than base res.

Youā€™ve got me worried. :slight_smile: Does this mean my i5 4690k is not going to cut it? Running a 1080ti with it and was really hoping to hold out for the next Intel gen on my Mb/cpu upgrade.

2 Likes

You might be OK. The 1080Ti should help a lot.

3 Likes

I think thatā€™s the wrong way to go. Comparing two devices when the system is fully loaded is more interesting, since thatā€™s how you would use your devices. Why is it fair to compare a 5k+ being fed (for example) 250M pixels per second with a Rift fed half of that? Of course if you strangle one of the device itā€™s going to perform unfavourably.

The one thing I should maybe do to be fair is use the small FOV on the 5k+, since it better matches the FOV of the Rift.

2 Likes

Itā€™s strange how people perceive things differently, for me the horizontal pixel layout of the 5k+ is very satisfying.

The diagonal sde of the vive and 8k bugs me. I think itā€™s because I grew up watching crt screens with horizontal scan lines.

4 Likes

Iā€™d wait & at least try it. The i5-6500 caused some issues in terms of jaggies & such.

But you should be able if needed find an i7-4770 or i7-4790 cheap. Get a k if possible.

1 Like

So your saying you should compare a 4k Monitor at 1080p to a 1080p Monitor?

But yeah comparing small fov to the rift would give you a better assessment if you want to do the type of compare you did.

1 Like

No, Iā€™m not saying that. I donā€™t think itā€™s appropriate to make this analogy for at least two reasons:

1. The difference between the panels of the 5k+ and the Rift is not as big as between 4k and 1080p

2. Virtual reality headsets donā€™t have a native resolution the same way panels do

But if you want to make that analogy, then what Iā€™m doing is comparing 1200p and 1440p running both at 4k, finding there isnā€™t much of a difference.

Tried "time travel vr " last night with the pimax and the graphics look really nice . looked better on the pimax than vive pro

1 Like

As was pointed out, difference is in subpixels - 5k+ has 3, OLED panels 2. In green it should be as you say, in blue/red Pimax should have advantage. What you actually see/perceive is subjective though, so for you it might be as you say - for example we (humans) see better in green so maybe that aspect prevails in your case.

1 Like

About OLED panels and pentile arrangements: I believe adjacent pair of pixels share a subpixel: 2 pixels in total have 5 subpixels. ā€œOLED panels have 2.5ā€ would be more correct.
Also, this sharing of subpixels does not really affect resolution negatively, you really need to look at monochromatic images to notice it.

I also tried Luckyā€™s Tale, without parallel projections to see if that was the source of the problem. The game looked pretty clear to me in both headsets, with a significant advantage for the 5k+. But there I had little control over the supersampling, as the game does not use SteamVR.

An update: I have tried DCS without parallel projection. Brainwarp allows me to push the resolution higher than with the Rift. At 2500 lines and above, the 5k+ is significantly sharper.

Thatā€™s reassuring, I must say. There still a lot to be done on my PiMax to make it comfortable to wear, but I now feel itā€™s worth spending time on it.

Really eager to read your reviewā€¦

2 Likes

Thanks! Iā€™m not sure what I can add to the existing info though. Iā€™ll be using the FAQ for any setup issues and will update it if necessary. My primary use will be Elite Dangerous, so Iā€™ll tweak my settings and post them.

3 Likes

Itā€™s more that with all the time Iā€™ve Past here I have targeted some peoples having about the same requirements then me and youā€™re one of them. :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Content Manager - Settings - Assetto Corsa - Video - Oculus Pixels per display
This is the only slider I can find

1 Like

Great for the Oculus but not for us and I think SteamVR settings work on Assetto Corsa anyway.

1 Like

Iā€™m struggling with AC to be honest, PC2 and Elite look great now but nothing seems to make much difference to AC. I sold my triple 24" 1080p screens and Iā€™ve been using an old TV as a monitor because I only game in VR now anyway. Itā€™s native resolution is 1366x768 but it will run games at 1080p. Could this be causing any issues?

1 Like