Update 22nd March

Actual dates that items would start shipping, like they said they would, repeatedly.

3 Likes

Got ya.
Should this detailed update happen in weekly basis? I don’tknow if thats possible.
I thought they were going to have a lightweight weekly update with 1-2 longer updates monthly and we’d be happy with it.

@PimaxVR
Edit. With all due respect PimaxVR, you have said “we need to improve our communication” a million times, didn’t happen.
Save @PimaxQuorra who’s been very helpful and active on the forum, but mostly by solving issues with orders and such.

7 Likes

The issue of course is, when the performance starts to suck donkey dick, no communication on Earth would be able to remedy that - and in the case of e.g. the lighthouse boxes and software content keys there is no explanation for not having been delivered many months ago if what they told us in previous communication was not just bluntly a lie.

So with all due respect to pointing out Pimax’ poor communication, the focus should remain on their actual performance of deliveries.

THAT IS WHERE THEY FALL TERRIBLY SHORT TOO - and that is many times more important than the communication as such.

5 Likes

@TrevorVR My ideal update would acknowledge any outstanding deliverables. Right now that would include IMO:

• Controllers (Index, Sense, Sword Sense)
  • Basestations
  • Stretch goals
    • Face masks
    • MAS
    • 3 pieces of content
    • Wireless
    • Eye tracking
  • New product delivery (8kX, Artisan)
  • Any changes to backer relationship (e.g. end of the upgrade program, warranty extension)

A simple update would include for each of those a “yes we’re working on it” or “we’ll work on it after ____” would be more than we’re getting now. I refuse to believe Pimax don’t have internal documents tracking the progress of all these pieces, so they can choose to be as transparent as they want. No company just hands out internal documents, but surely they could abridge their info to find a happy medium.

Even wireless – I don’t think it’s even been ACKNOWLEDGED in the current year. Where’s that at? Back at PD1 Martin and Kevin said they had played around with it and it was working in a prototype stage. So where did that go?

12 Likes

No they don’t need to do a weekly update, particularly if all they are going to write is “we have no real update”. But when they spend basically a whole week replying to everybody who asks “when will x ship” with “we will post an update this week”, people are going to assume the update is going to be about the thing they asked about. So congratulations to pimax for posting “an update”, its just not the update they said they were going to give unless you stretch the meaning of english words to their very limit and massively annoy everyone in the process.

Like honestly, what did they think they were going to gain by yet again raising everyone’s hopes that an actual update was coming, only to release this, this… thing, whatever it is, not an update.

9 Likes

This one is easy: More people are likely to go for the Artisan model than the X so focusing on X would mean less cash.

Pimax well and truly shot themselves in the foot when promising base stations at half the cost for v2 stations currently and controllers for about two thirds the cost of index controllers.
(The prices they set during the kickstarter, over two years ago, are OK-ish prices for second hand vive base stations and controllers today.)

The fact that the initial 5k/8k development dragged on and the many RMAs due to ongoing quality issues will have drained their funds a lot, thats why they have been focusing on getting new models out for industry and consumers, to get a positive cash flow going.

Them actually delivering the regular Sword controllers seems plausible enough since its “just” vive wands in a different shape but the Sword Sense? I highly doubt they will ever materialize.

4 Likes

More people are likely to go for the Pimax 8K X as that is their flagship product and it’s one many of us have been waiting for. It’s the best VR headset on the market and the only one with 4K resolution and every sale is 3 times the profit margin of Artisan.

Why would people buy an Artisan when the Index headset is a major competitor? Most of us Pimax fans are VR enthusiasts who are willing to go for the best.

4 Likes

Simple Economics. There are more Mid Range Hardware out there. Plus a larger market for a lower priced headset that is Good enough.

Yes there is those of us whom would spend a high amount on our enjoyment but we are smaller in number.

5 Likes

That’s true. A smaller number would purchase the 8K X. But Pimax would also make at least 3x the profit compared to a single Artisan sale. That makes up for the lower numbers. Also the numbers for Artisan would only be higher if Pimax does a good job at marketing. So far it seems Pimax’s main appeal is to a niche audience at the moment.

It is difficult to know what margins would be. The 8kX will have more costs associated with it due to specialized hardware and research. Where as the Artisan can use off the shelf parts.

But sure 1 8kX sale vs 1 Artisan sale likely has a higher profit.

However if they sell 5-10 Artisans per 1 8kX. The Artisan will generate faster revenue.

Very much like Nvidia’s mark up on the 2080ti will have a higher profit than a 2060. But likely to sell more 2060s or 1660s vs the 2080ti.

The Artisan has had good reviews so far. I’d even consider adding one to my collection as it is said in some ways nicer than the 5k+ and I am not as fussy on the 5k+.

1 Like

I would just rather they prioritize the 8K X at this point. They’ve promised it to their backers for years now and I pre-ordered back in November.

1 Like

Indeed as it is part of the Kickstarter that needs to be completed. Though going by the Kickstarter the Stretch goals and controllers should have been completed prior to 8kX release.

The [bgcolor=grey][color=Blue]MAS(with Headpgones)[/color][/bgcolor] was supposed to be ready prior to [color=green]8k/5k+[/color] release as it was to replace backers receiving the [color=red]cloth strap[/color].

However at this point it would just be nice to see these things released soon.

4 Likes

My eyes. I’m not a fan of these new color options I think

2 Likes

Surely we will receive 8KX within 2020?

Possibly, yes. Just like it is still entirely possible that we will receive the other deliveries this year. And if not this year, then soon in 2021. Or soon in 2022.

Be advised.

7 Likes

It is good to do it anyway so we know they are still out there. But in that case simple statement like “Nothing new to report” would suffice instead of elaborate long text saying nothing. Also if possible then saying when there will be something new to report.

1 Like

Yes, but then don’t spend the whole week telling everyone the update is going to be a major one outlining timescales on delivery of items.

3 Likes

I would like to know about the current status of the 8K + Shipping
Havent heard a thing for weeks but on the website its advertised like this, would be nice if the backers and preorderers now actually all get there HMDs…

3 Likes

I still think it’s better than radio silence. Not like I don’t understand there are some seriously upset people, but if anything, Pimax should head more to the disclosing info direction, so I would say even baby steps are better than nothing.

4 Likes

I spent my Index savings allocation in January on some other needed projects around the house… but I’m saving up again for a full index kit, come summertime, I’ll order that. I’m pretty much just writing off my Pimax experience as a failed kickstarter, since I can’t play roomscale after 2.5 years. Too bad too, I know in the first 10-12 months I got a bunch of friends really excited about Pimax and VR in general… but when nothing materialized, most of them ended up with other makes… and in the last 3-4 months, I’ve talked at least 3 people away from Pimax and into other options. Kinda sad, so much potential.

3 Likes