Unreal Engine 5 Revealed! | Next-Gen Real-Time Demo Running on PlayStation 5

WoW!

in 4K

9 Likes

It looks amazing. The geometry. It’s game changing!

4 Likes

Wooooh that’s frikkin unreal :slight_smile: Seriously, next level stuff

5 Likes

Yes, that is impressive! I was especially wowed by the water effects. That’s something that I really notice is missing (more than lighting or geometry) in current games, like Borderlands 3.

2 Likes

Damn. May need to reconsider my ban on buying consoles.

Yeah that is very impressive. Still remember the first unreal demos in Dos. :heart_eyes:

7 Likes

I sure it would even better looking on a 3080! :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Agreed though consoles have really closed the huge gap pc gaming has enjoyed over the years. Still prefer though the forward backwards compatibility of pcs overall.

4 Likes

Never buying a console, never have, never will :smile:
can’t plug in my 8K X :wink: and im not a couch gamer.

3 Likes

True though there was some that had used the Vive on a ps4 in the early days.

Last console I had bought was a ps3 thick 60g model as it had extra hardware to play ps2 games properly. Still the best of the ps3 models.

Now a days maybe if price is comparable to a 4k blue ray. But unlikely that low. Plus not into the consoles anymore. But would consider one for a parent as mine has trouble at times operating a TV with a Settop sat box.

1 Like

Wow, and this only means that PC stuff will look even better. Still, I’ll take good gameplay with bad graphics any day over the other way around, so let’s how this stuff gets put to use :+1:

2 Likes

I don’t play tomb raider so I missed the fact that they’ve given Lara Croft a breast reduction! https://twitter.com/amazingatheist/status/972553484385050624

Too bad, liked the bigger ones :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Yeah since the 2013 release they went with realistic graphics vs top heavy.

Tbh recommend checking out the new Tombraiders.

The geometry detail does look impressive, but will it hold up to closer inspection in high-resolution VR? A lot of bump maps or details like tree leaves that look reasonable on a desktop have artifacts that suddenly look horrible at true-to-life scale.

Also, although I haven’t been keeping up on Unreal much lately (since I am busy getting closer to actually developing my own stuff with it), I am not seeing the water/vegetation that CryEngine historically has seemed to do much better.

Then there’s GPU performance. VR of course is much more demanding.

4 Likes

I would imagine though that Unreal has also added VR optimizations as Tombraider 2013 and newer have some VR playable/unlockable parts.

Plus Hellblade Asuna looks good in VR.

3 Likes

If you played tomb raider series before, you would notice lara had to crawl through some very tight spaces, the breast reduction would boost her survival rate by at least 300%

5 Likes

A while ago I made the news in Spanish on the Real o Virtual website.

1 Like

I used to think a large part of the problem with GPU performance for VR was various inefficiencies. Then I actually compared readability of high-resolution screenshots with what I saw in VR of the same areas over the same field of view.

It is easy to underappreciate just how many more pixels we actually see in VR.

3 Likes

Indeed. I used to and still do to some extent like to just walk around vegetation. On the Ps2 I remember being a bit impressed by the bushes as they were becoming more 3d though certain angles you could see the flat spots like paper cutouts.

Next huge jump for me was Crysis where even with 3d vision could feel real depth an so on.

Were definitely starting to see some decent leaps. Though a lot is often still related to code optimizations. Psvr really demonstrated you didn’t need a top end cpu with good code. Though admittedly easier to optimize when the hardware doesn’t change from one system to the next. It also demonstrates Amd is more than capable when utilized properly.

1 Like

Really detailed article here going into detail about whats happening in the demo

“I suppose the secret is that what Nanite aims to do is render effectively one triangle for pixel, so once you get down to that level of detail, the sort of ongoing changes in LOD are imperceptible,” answers Nick Penwarden. “That’s the idea of Render Everything Your Eye Sees,” adds Tim Sweeney. “Render so much that if we rendered more you couldn’t tell the difference, then as the amount of detail we’re rendering changes, you shouldn’t be able to perceive difference.”

I’m curious to see how this looks in VR

2 Likes

Indeed. Crysis vegetation was an amazing leap.

One thing that might be appropriate now is proper multi-Computer support backed by realtime h264 encoding (or similar algorithm). Then we might be able to get natural scenes looking photorealistic in VR.

1 Like