Twack3rs Varjo VR-3 impressions

I just read on some forum that they returned the varjo vr-3 already because of the distortion and the low field off view…

2 Likes

Is the distortion that bad?

1 Like

It is initially. You gotta try different things to make it low enough to be enjoyable. I’m glad I didn’t return mine right away and spent some time improving it. Now it’s my favourite headset of all time.

5 Likes

Is this the forum?

2 Likes

@VR-TECH
Varjo Community
Here is an invite. There was a couple sellers on there. Can’t remember who they were. If you get on there and ask I’m sure someone can help.

2 Likes

I will still see if I can get a vr 3 , but i a very good offer shows for the vr2 then will consider it

2 Likes

As hominem? I think you invited that by calling the wide field of view a “meaningless party trick.”
That’s insulting to the product and to those of us who prefer a wide field of view and have had great experiences with the 8kx. I’m sure the VR 3 is a fine headset- but that doesn’t turn the Pimax into rubbish. I could never give up the wide FOV- and the 8KX was still the first HMD to reach the 20/20 readability level.
When I was a sailplane pilot, we used to say that there is no substitute for wingspan for soaring performance. For simulation play, I feel the same about FOV. And flight sims are all I do in VR.

If you want to call people out for ad hominem attacks- you’d better not do so after insulting their products and opinions.

3 Likes

I insulted nobody’s opinion.

I will call out anyone at any time for ad hominem attacks about any topic but cheers for weighing in. Also, a product cannot be insulted.

I also attempted to rephrase what I tried to convey and expressed my very favorable experiences with a product you appear to hold very dear to your heart.

3 Likes

It’s the guy here Varjo VR-3 unboxing, first impressions and review. - Virtual Reality and VR Controllers - IL-2 Sturmovik Forum

I also see the distortion between the 2 displays and it also bothers me. Will try @nextgen 's mod with the tape instead of the foam when I’m back home end of the month

3 Likes

Ah, that sounds disappointing. Interesting about the performance. He had a good rig with the 9700 and the 3080. I have a 9900k and an overclocked 3080ti
Im curious what he thinks o the Vive pro 2

2 Likes

Well I really wanted to love the VP2 but after going back from my VR3 I just couldn’t stand those godray’s anymore. If I’d have to go back I’d go back to the 8kX. However, going back will be very hard after having seen this resolution, even with all its shortcomings. I’ll most likely stay with the VR3

3 Likes

Right. I’ll try see if I can get a unit myself

3 Likes

I have sent some inquires to several companies, but yet to get any response.

2 Likes

Did you message them through their website? I just bought it there. Ask them what the lead time is. Was 2-3 months back then but maybe it’s faster now. Although, after the mrtv hyping it might be worse now :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Soooo what happened. It was so good that you forgot to eat and then you died? I’m just hoping that that didn’t happen and you’re still here to tell us about your first impressions!

2 Likes

Hm. You didn’t insult my opinion? Wow. That’s disingenuous at best. Saying that the wide field of view is worthless and a mere ‘party trick’ certInly implies that this of us who disagree are rather stupid to have bought into it. That’s very much a passive aggressive approach to the ad hominem attack.
For what it’s worth, I have zero eye strain, a useful ‘sweet spot’ and no noticeable distortion. For my purposes the 8kx is still tops. I won’t hesitate to replace when the time comes, but it hasn’t yet. And I’m very satisfied with my service from Pimax.
I look forward to seeing what Varjos does in the future- AND to further improvements from Valve, and Pimax and perhaps innovative firms we have yet to encounter.
I’m done with this thread. You’ve provided some excellent arguments and great food for thought. My disagreement here does not incline me to dismiss your opinions at all, indeed, I value your insights. I’d just like a less inflammatory tone.

Butting in here: I experience none on what you describe - it is eyestrain and blur all the way. -Am I to take your implicit dismissal of my experience, based on your own, as a passive aggressive ad hominem attack, and: “idiot” categorisation, on me?

I think your reading filter may have brought most of the colour to any perceived inflammatory tone.

2 Likes

Can we leave the whole ‘woke’ - you said something I didnt like so now you have insulted me - stuff out here please? Thanks

4 Likes

i have said nothing to devalue your experience. Zilch, nada. I just pointed out that using perjorative phrases like ‘worthless’ and ‘and party trick’ he’s suggesting that anyone who doesn’t agree is rather stupid. I haven’t said that or even implied it about your or anyone else. Your experience is valid for you- it’s not my experience, but that’s not important here. If I was to use a passive agressive sort of ad hominem approach, I’d say something like, “people who experience distortion and eyestrain clearly don’t have the HMD setup or adjusted properly.” I am most assuredly NOT saying that. There are a myriad of reasons for a headset working fine for one person and not so much for another, and I have yet to find one that occurred because the user was incompetent. I suggest you sell the 8kx to somebody for whom it might work better, and purchase an alternative like the Varjo 3., that is, if you haven’t already done so. Life is too short to battle with technology that isn’t working for you.
Cheers
finn

Yes. Good call. There will be no more on it from me!

2 Likes