Tried to install PiTool latest version, getting OPENSSL error

I think that the SteamVR resolutions are wrong with the PiTool 84.

Because in my tests, it said that the resolution is 19761x9646 per eye. And even with that, I could play PCars 2 at medium settings, Elite Dangerous and BigScreen with decents fps :sweat_smile:

So I’m pretty sure is wrong, because if it was true, my framrate should be measured in “frames per minute” since I “only” have a 1080Ti.

1 Like

Try running the installer as admin.

Garry goto steamvr settings Video & turn manual override off. Your per ap targets will be realistic.

See my thread…

1 Like

The installer required admin access in the first place, but it didn’t help to explicitly run both the installer and pitool as administrator. I’ll try installing Windows 10, even though it takes half an age to do. Even though I did see the device driver installation popup when I first connected the Pimax, I can’t seem to find it in the device manager. But the Pitool crashes seem quite unrelated to the state of the hardware; it crashed the same way before I ever plugged in the headset.

Update: Installing Windows 10 did not help. Reverting.

I would make a backup first. The October update to Windows has been randomly deleting people’s files.
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-update/windows-10-1809-update-deleted-all-files-from/ff608374-2686-4a08-a4c2-caa4caa6d4e1

I have reinstalled Windows 8.1, wiping my settings and installed programs, and reinstalled Pitool 1.0.1.84. It updated firmware and ran room setup, but the tool to pair controllers crashes (0xc000007b). Making progress. 1.0.1.76 is now also runnable, but does not detect the headset, so doesn’t help much with the pairing issue.

After telling Steam to verify the SteamVR installation, it installed required runtime files, and the Pair Controller tool now works. SteamVR is showing everything normally now, with Pimax logos on the lighthouses and headset. Time to actually run something.

Clarity is an entirely different league from the Vive. I can read text in the default zoom level Firefox browser, on a 2560x1440 desktop, through the SteamVR desktop view.

I also see the periphery distortion effect. It is a stretching effect, suggesting either an incomplete lens distortion model or that my eyes aren’t at the precise depth the model was built for. It is not a hardware fault. If I pull the headset away a bit, intentionally placing my eyes too far back, I see a doubling of the image at the outside edge which cannot be compensated in software. On the whole, I’d say this distortion is annoying but something you can get used to, largely because it doesn’t produce binocular conflict.

Black level… well, it simply isn’t black. It’s very clearly illuminated, but it’s a rather uniform gray, not even revealing the lines the actual display is made of. Elite does indeed currently require the parallel projections compatibility mode. It’s rather late now, so I’ll have to test more later.

4 Likes

Awesome which headset did you get?

I got the 5K+, naturally. It’s the only model to make good use of the signal output by the GPU. It also has its weaknesses, particularly in colour reproduction and output resolution; it’s just that the other models have other weaknesses, including no real advantage in resolution.

1 Like

@Skyrimer

Would you please help leave log for us on this issue? because we could not reproduce it here.

you could find the log in the folder of C:\Users\user name\AppData\Local\Pimax