Rush
Skyrim VR
Sports Bar VR
The Golf Club VR
The Talos Principle

Independent Launcher list:
Alien Isolation

3 Likes

I can pair 5 device with pitool and no problem.
(index controller->vive tracker->index controller->converted vive wand->converted vive wand)
1 dongle on my headset and 2 dongles on pc.
I also tried use 3 dongles with USB hub on headset and it work fine but its too bulky.
As long as I don’t pair 2 index controller on headsets built-in dongle it worked.

2 Likes

If it was just a pimax issue all users would have this issue. The reverse is true as well. You have the other headsets does not mean others whom have them are not having issues.

You and I could have same motherboard cpu, ram, psu and cpu cooler. And one of us could be able to overclock higher than the other with 0 issues. Or at stock have issues the other does not.

Alex even said to Leonardo that even within a batch only some seem to have the issue. Where you’d expect the entire batch(production) run to have the issue.

Internal dongle firmware maybe able to correct it once the cause is properly identified.

I had not heard that within a batch only some have errors - in that case this could be more complicated.

What I mean is that this really seems like the receiver IC issue, perhaps they had 1,000 Bluetooth reciever ICs, ran out, and now they can’t get more so they got an alternate ‘1:1 replacement’. I mean, this is all total guessing. Point is, it’s definitely my current HMD. I’m not saying all pimax hmds are effected, I’m saying it is due to my hmd that I have an issue. There’s just no way it’s my hardware if every other steamvr tracked hmd works fine with my controllers.

Why rule out the Index controller as the culprit?

2 Likes

Well another interesting example. I recall one user here long ago found his apple watch had caused tracking interference from it’s bluetooth?.when wearing it. Seems unusual but this discovery helped another user later on.

Now it’s possible the watch might not cause an issue on another brand.

Years ago I used to be into RC cars and 2 radios if using crystals within a couple of hz often caused control issues between the 2 cars being controlled. Troubleshooting things like this can be very difficult.

A while back I thought a friends graphics card was messed up. As you could run Garry’s mod without an issue but many games and 3dmark came up with multicolored snow usually a sign graphic card going bad. It turned out it was due to how Windows had changed handling multi monitors. He moved the system to use 1 monitor and had to reconnect the other 2 disable them in windows and reboot to fix it. I spent 2 angry hours trying to fix it before we tried that.

3 Likes

Because they work on every other steamvr device. Additionally multiple users have RMAd over 3 pairs without fixing a thing.

On top of that, you can test the sensors using steamvr console executables. The controllers work perfectly. If the Bluetooth transmitter in the controllers were broken it wouldn’t work with any headset.

In response to Helio - it is possible the issue is interference, I’m not going to say ‘no way’. But I have a hard time believing so many people all coincidentally with pimaxes have interference in their house that doesn’t effect any other device. These are usually outlying circumstances, not a large chunk of users. I also don’t have any BT devices, all my KB+M are wired, and I don’t regularly use BT headphones either. Sure wifi is also on 2.4Ghz but they can’t really interfere with eachother. This is why I brought up that I’ve tried this not only on 3 machines, but in two different houses. I can say for sure it isn’t reflective surfaces. I highly doubt it’s interference, but that’s tough.

3 Likes

Wifi in theory no shouldn’t interfere however we also have cordless phones. All these potentials within the home can be tested simply by disabling any 2.4ghz source.

But like I said if it was specific to pimax then all headsets should exhibit this issue and it has not been that simple.

The same is true with other non pimax steamvr headsets. Seems most are not having issues while some are.

Why it is important to collect as much information as possible. Hardware versions, Software versions, internal dongle info etc…

Being able to reproduce the issue is often needed. Though sometimes something is easy to fix by a couple of lines describing the issue… Sometimes that lucky.

Fishbone is a good tool to try and narrow down the root cause. And often what seems to be the cause is not.

If the headset was designed to have a swappable set of dongles by removing a cover like swapping a wifi card in a laptop this could be a a great future idea.

The internal dongles still route through the usb on the headset. So connecting dongles to the pimax headset is not that different really than using external ones hooked up to headset.

On the plus pimax has been able to recreate the issue in their lab. Which will help in solving it. They have reached out to Valve whom’s component is part of the equation.

1 Like

I agree on the fishbone, among some of your other ideas. You’re a smart guy helio :slight_smile:

This is where Pimax, with iffy communication in the past is a pain. As I said this issue is understandable at this point. Being a small business they naturally fall short on not only their own support, but the support they will receive from valve etc. Ultimately they may not disclose the details if it’s a hardware issue, but I’ll still hold out for the hope of a firmware fix, it does seem possible to me as tracking does work most of the time.

I just meant to iterate that something does seem to be unique here that points towards the interaction of pimax and steamvr. We aren’t able to identify the internal BOM but I certainly can provide the full SN and order # so that Pimax can.

1 Like

Date: May 19th, 2020
Issue Title: Tracking Issue with Index Controllers and Pimax headset
Description: When playing any game both index controllers will lose tracking for about a half second then come back. This happens approximately once per minute or two minutes. I have no issues with the vive controllers, or with index controllers with my vive.

Pimax 5k+ 203 series
LH 1.0 (x2)
SteamVR: 1.10.32
Pimax FW: .255
PiTool: .249

CPU: i7 6700k
GPU: RTX 2080ti , EVGA Black
Ram: 16 GB 3200Mhz DDR4
Motherboard: Asus Hero viii
Sound Card: Onboard

I have had the Index controllers since August/September. There has always been tracking issues, however it seems like it has gotten worse since the latest PiTools. I tried downgrading to 249, but that only helped for about 10 minutes then the issues returned.

1 Like

I don’t think it’s firmware since I and I expect many others, not afflicted like myself, are using FW255 which appears in almost all the reports above.

I agree with your assessment after looking at the above reports that it does appear to be in the headset and not the controllers, but it seems to be some BT chips that are flawed. Certainly Pimax asking for SR# suggests this as a possibility.

One can only hope there might be a software fix, since this has to be really frustrating for those of you so afflicted.

1 Like

These are not BT, but custom radio chips, operating on the same 2.4GHz band though, which are needed to operate the Valve (or HTC) controllers and you need to have the Valve’s firmware in them as well (AFAIK).

3 Likes

They are BT using Propietary protocols. You just can’t use them for other BT devices.

Steamcontroller Dongle can be flashed to use as a Steamvr Watchman dongle. And the Steamcontroller update awhile back enabled regular Bluetooth connectivity so you could use the Steamcontroller with Android using the Steamlink Ap.

1 Like

Thanks Risa. I am glad at my age to learn something new. :smiley:
I did not know it was a proprietary standard, but by your recognizing which chip I was referencing, I see all is not lost. :grinning:

1 Like

Whatever it is, i hope Pimax is still on it and come up with some fixes. So far the community helped themself by finding their own workarounds. I wished those came from Pimax. I also wished we would get updates on this topic from pimax side and not by users who opened a ticket.

I can’t even recommend my headset right now anymore. It’s like, you have a 50/50 ? 20/80? Chance that you get a headset where your knuckle controllers won’t work - except you buy a properitary USB Stick for about 80€ additionally which may or may not be useless in a couple of months… best advertisement ever.

3 Likes

We think we have a potential fix for this issue. The new tracking update will be included in the next Pitool.

13 Likes

Do we have an eta on the Pitool release?

2 Likes

Weekend’ish. Probably after the weekly update.

15 Likes

Awesome thanks Kevin. :beers::sunglasses::vulcan_salute::sparkles:

3 Likes