Tracking Issues April 2020

So finally some acknowledgement that the issue exists, and that they can replicate it :+1:
thanks for the update @Leonardo

4 Likes

Hmmā€¦ It seems pimax may need to replace the internal dongle possibly.

1 Like

Date: April 23nd, 2020 (its been happening for a month)
Issue Title: Tracking Issue with Index Controllers and Pimax headset
Description: When playing any game, one or both my Index controllers will lose tracking Sometimes it will go out of the map for as long as 5 seconds and come back. When playing Alyx I basically heard the gun hit the ground every few seconds.

HMD Model: 5K+
First 3 Numbers Serial: 203
Pitool Version: 1.0.1.258
HMD Firmware: 263
Tracking: 2x LH 1.0 / 10 feet apart in diagonal / 7 Feet High

System Info

• Windows Version : Windows 10
  • CPU: i7-7700K
  • RAM: 32Gb DDR4
  • Motherboard: Asus Prime x270
  • GPU Model: Gigabyte 2080TI
  • GPU Driver: 445.87
  • SteamVR Version: Beta 1.11.11
  • Oculus Version: N/A

Thereā€™s a chance itā€™s addressable via firmware. Itā€™s going to hurt bad to have to replace so many headsets. Hereā€™s hoping they donā€™t screw over everyone who is over a year past their purchase/shipment. That would be some BS as itā€™s taken so long to get controllers.

4 Likes

It had better be addressable via firmware. They literally sell these controllers, doesnā€™t even seem reasonable to do. Like bundling ps4 controllers with an xbox. My 5k+ is out of warranty, and I will be furious if the 300 dollar controllers are somehow useless now.

1 Like

Date: 23 April 2020
Description: When playing any game or just standing in SteamVRHome one or both controllers will loose tracking, this is especially easy to see while playing HL-Alyx as when one controller looses tracking and comes back just after it takes ā€œfocusā€ and ā€œwhacksā€ whatever im near in the game. The issues shows it ugly face within 25 minutes of playing approximately.

Pitool Version: following version have been tested. 197, 245, 249, 253, 254Alpha, 255, 258
HMD Firmware: following version have been tested.197, 255, 263 in combination with the above Pitool versions.
Tracking: 2x Valve LH 2.0 / 4 Meters apart in diagonal 2.4 Meters high
Controllers: Valve Index delivered from valve along with LHā€™s

System Info

• Windows Version : Windows 10 Pro v1909 OS Build: 18363.778
  • CPU: i7-3700K @ 4.6GHz - Custom H2O Cooling
  • RAM: 32GB DDR3
  • Motherboard: Asus Maximus V Formula
  • GPU Model: Inno3D GeForce GTX 1080 Ti iChill X3 @2050 Core @6500 Mem- Custom H2O Cooling
  • GPU Driver: 445.75
  • SteamVR Version: 1.11.11 Non Beta

Well what ever they did in the 204, must have fixed the 203 tracking problem.
Most of these are 203, one 202 and one 206.

Iā€™ve got a steam controller dongle that i flashed with the steam vr software, i can connect the controller when the headset is not connected, but as soon as the headset is connected, steam vr says ā€œlooking for vr hardwareā€.
Seems like the pimax software is blocking the dongle from being detected by steam vr.

Pitool Version: 253
HMD Firmware: 255
Tracking: 2x Valve LH 1.0
Controllers: 2 x Index controllers and 2 x Vive controllers

Some of us 203s donā€™t have the issue. They may have made a change of dongle sometime during 203 production.

1 Like

thatā€™s strange. I am using a flashed valve controller dongle for one Controller and my Pimax Headset for the 2nd one and have no issues since then.

How did i connect my Controllers?

1. Disconnect the complete Headset
  2. Stop the Pimax PiTool
  3. Stop the Pimax Service
  4. Plug in the Dongle
  5. Start Steam and SteamVR
  6. Connect one of the Index Controller via SteamVR
  7. Click DONE
  8. Close/Exit SteamVR
  9. Connect your Pimax Headset, and power on your Base Stations
  10. Start PiTool
  11. Pair your 2nd Controller via PiTool
  12. Finish.

The process has to be done only once. At least as long you want to use the index Controller.
If you want to ā€˜switch backā€™ to your HTC Vive Controllers, you have to redo the whole process :S

4 Likes

Is everyone using an official steam dongle? Thought I heard the 20 dollar one might not work due to propietary steam stuff, but idk if thatā€™s true. Iā€™d be willing to throw 20 or so bucks at this to avoid using a cable, idk about 75 though haha

i am using the Valve Steam Controller Dongle. And yes i was also told that steam is using some ā€˜specialā€™ version, no clue if its proprietary in hardware or only in firmware. But regardless, i never found any information about using another dongle then those directly from valve.

I fixed the issue, tried connecting with the headset plugged in, which was causing the issues.
Tracking is fixed now that only one controller is going through the headset. Although i had to connect the dongle to the usb port on the underside of the headset as it has a very small range

I contacted steam support and they sent me a controller dongle

Pitool Version: 253
HMD Firmware: 255
Tracking: 2x Valve LH 1.0
Controllers: 2 x Index controllers and 2 x Vive controllers

1 Like

FFS, i had asked many times for them to send me 1 so i could fix my issue as well.
and been told they donā€™t have any. :confused:

How did you get them to send you one?

1 Like

I just asked, but I am in the UK so itā€™s gonna be from a different warehouse, the warehouse that I got it shipped from is in the Netherlands.

1 Like

**Date: April 28, 2020 **
Issue Title: PiMax Tracking Issues with Index Controllers
Description: During gameplay when two controllers are connected to the headset my left-hand controller loses tracking more often then not, games are unplayable like this, my right controller blinks out of existence a few times but works most of the time with little to no issue.

HMD Model:PiMax 5K+
First 3 Numbers Serial: 204
Pitool Version: 2020.3.24
HMD Firmware: 2.1.255.255
Tracking: 2x HTC SteamVR Base Station 1.0

System Info

• Windows Version: Windows 10 Enterprise
  • CPU: Intel Core i7-4770
  • RAM: 12GB
  • Motherboard: Some ASUS thing; irrelevant
  • GPU Model: nVidia RTX 2070 SUPER
  • GPU Driver: 441.41
  • SteamVR Version: 1.11.11
1 Like

sorry, 204 checking in, Iā€™ve got the same issue everyone else here is having.

5 Likes

Date:04/30/2020
Issue Title:Pimax 8k plus HELMET tracking issue
Description: lost tracking of the HELMET in flight sims (War Thunder) for split seconds
with a very disturbing shaking image as a result.
The issue is not permanent but it comes back constantly and appears in specific positions of my head like turned right and looking down.
I switched back to my Pimax 5k plus and everything goes fine so there has to be a problem with my brand new Pimax 8k plus.

HMD Model:Pimax 8K plus
First 3 Numbers Serial:206
Pitool Version:V2020.3.24
HMD Firmware:V2.1.255.255
Tracking: 2 x Vive lighthouse 1

System Info
Windows Version:Windows 10 64-bit
CPU:Intel i9-9900K 3.60 GHz
RAM:48 Go
Motherboard:MSI Z390-A PRO
GPU Model:GeForce RTX 2080Ti
GPU Driver:445.87 04/15/2020
SteamVR Version: 1.11.11 (1587177915)
Oculus Version:/

1 Like

Date: 06-05-2020
Description: Bought the 5k+ bundle end of march, headset arrived middle april and the controllers and basestations arrived last week. The left index controller loses tracking, especially during Beat Saber it makes the game unplayable. I tried all the USB ports, restarts and reboots and sometimes it stays away for awhile but in the end the issue returns every play session. I have ordered a USB C to USB C cable on Amazon and when it arrives I hope it wil be a temporary fix when I connect my left index controller to the headset (as is suggested on other topics). Hope Pimax is able to fix this soon.

First 3 Numbers Serial: 204
Pitool Version: V2020.3.24
HMD Firmware: 2.1.255.255
Tracking: LH 2.0 bought in Pimax bundle

System Info

• Windows Version : Windows 10 Home
  • CPU: Intel I7-8750H 2.20 GHz
  • RAM: 16 GB
  • Motherboard: Asus Strix GL704GW
  • GPU Model: Geforce RTX 2070
  • GPU Driver: 445.87
  • SteamVR Version: 1.11.11 non beta
  • Oculus Version: 17.0

Attachments (Pics/Video etcā€¦)

Iā€™ll add a screenshot of a log file that is also discussed in another topic that shows there is an issue with controller 1 (I presume the left one), my log is filled with these lines

1 Like

I assure you the cable will work just fine, though it sucks. My recommendation if its long enough - strain relieve the cable on both ends by:

wrapping the cable around the left controller ā€˜barā€™ (not where you grab, but where the sensors are) before plugging in, this prevents damage to the usb C port on the controller if you yank the cable.

and make a single loop in the top Velcro strap (I use a DAS but itd work without) before terminating in the bottom headset USB-C port. This prevents headset damage and keeps the cable out of your face. Who knows how long weā€™ll have to play this way - but honestly it doesnā€™t bother me a lot in game now. I swing more with my right hand so cable in the left, and now I donā€™t worry about permanent damage.