Tomshardware review of 5K+ [30th Sept]

As a non-backer who has been following the Pimax headsets since just after KickStarter I was quite dismayed by the rubbish rating that Toms gave for the 5K+

https://www.tomshardware.co.uk/pimax-5k-m2-headset-vr,review-34565.html

That seems in contrast to what @SweViver and others have been saying for months after testing 400+ games, not 5. Ok, it needs a beefy machine but the positives were glossed over, they called it a premium headset which it never claimed to be, enthusiast was the word Pimax used. Besides, no cost is announced either.

Who is the reviewer? Is that Pumcy? If not I thought he had the better experience on this.

So why is nobody talking about this. It only had 3 comments on it last night. Where are the Pimax warriors, defenders of FOV.

Note I am more dismayed by the rating of 3/10 more than the actual content. Based on the content alone I imagined it was a 7/10. Not a 3

5 Likes

Wasn’t the rating 3 out of 5 ?

1 Like

No, click the link. 3/10

2 Likes

This is the 3rd topic. It’s only a preliminary review and like Oscar’s not as bad as some are making it out to be.

See other threads. :wink: beem a long day.

Missed that could have sworn it was 3/5 before.

2 Likes

I did look Helio, could only see small mentions inside other topics?. But I have been ill recently so my observation skills are a little crap at the moment. Apologies for another thread.

2 Likes

That’s what I thought but d3Pixel is right. 3/10 seems harsh indeed.

2 Likes

It was 3/5 yesterday. WTF?

2 Likes

No worries these forums at the time get quite congested.

Here is one of the others (think first one)

http://community.openmr.ai/t/tom-says-rtx-2080-still-not-enough/8908?u=heliosurge

1 Like

Maybe they changed it?

3/5 would be much more in line with my expectations. 3/10 is like avoid

3 Likes

Ah, yeah, I would have skipped that possibly due to the title and thinking Tom was a user lol. It’s these meds! groggy n foggy :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Okay so not the only one that saw that. Could be a scale weighing current expectations now in v2.0.

@Pumcy if you would can you confirm that.the Article originally said 3/5? Either way can you breakdown the scale used to obtain ratings? I am sure there is a criteria being used similar to printers features & perfirmance.

1 Like

Yeah and he liked the headset , he just didn’t like the headstrap or that a 2080 couldn’t run it at 90 htz .

2 Likes

Maybe TomsHardwares haydays are over. It deserves 3/10…

Well lets be honest about the headstrap; no one in today will like it after Sony raised that bar. I know myself will be looking forward to an easy headmount for on & off head. Really save cardboard this should ne set aside as a backup.

3 Likes

Roughly the same headstrap as a Rift? And a better headstrap coming later so I would have given some slack there but yeah, it’s a point off I guess. I was surprised at the FPS in comparison to other tester results but that is raw statistics vs how it feels maybe, and watching SweViver play tons of games I did not put too much worry into this knowing I get the top end when it demands it, not as much as I do now anyway.

They tried Revive too which is odd as it supports Oculus games native, maybe the reviewer didn’t know that.

3 Likes

Yep I guess Pimax should super fast track the delux headstrap. No pressure Pimax :wink::wink::wink:

2 Likes

Strange same here !?

https://www.tomshardware.co.uk/pimax-5k-m2-headset-vr,review-34565.html says 3/10
Pimax 5K+ M2 Pre-Production Headset: Eating GPUs for Breakfast | Tom's Hardware says 3/5
https://www.tweaktown.com/news/62960/toms-hardware-founder-comments-rtx-just-buy-it-scandal/index.html says Tom’s hardware is hard at work ruining their credibility either way.

Note that the two evident arguments against the Pimax headset were:

1. Feels fragile. Pairs perfectly with pro 3: light weight. If we’re talking feel and not results, these are directly opposed.

2. Settings require tinkering. On preproduction hardware where Pimax themselves have noted UX isn’t done yet.

3. Demands a high-end GPU. How this is expected to not be a property of a new generation is unclear.

As for the list of things they claim to expect of a next generation headset, they’re things Pimax took a modular approach to and included in the plan. The exception is the varifocal display, which has been on one prototype and hyped to hell, while Oculus hasn’t announced a Rift CV1 successor.

I haven’t read the full review. On the surface of it, the points are a little unreasonable, but it’s not unreasonable to tell most people this device isn’t ready for them.

14 Likes

A better head mount is coming later to backers is the key. If you look at the 5k+ headset received as a basic sku as a consumer whom doesn’t pay for the upgraded headmount. Then not so good in that respect. Which is one of the reasons I wasn’t concerned with Oscar’s review pointing that out.

Imho this should be standard part of a bssic package.

4 Likes