Tomshardware review of 5K+ [30th Sept]

BS rating. That guy is pissed because He didnt get M2 like Voodoo, Mrtv and Sweviver.
Shame on him.

5 Likes

same was certain it was 3/5 before.

3 Likes

Itā€™s is 3/5 on this link!

3 Likes

what in the absolute fuck

That explains the issue with the review & yes not good on the review or buy me scandal. In this regard, good Pumcy is a freelancer reporter & not direct employee.

They gave 2080Ti 4.5 out of 10 yet their conclusion was glowing about it.

They gave 2080 4 out of 10 and were quite happy with it.

Basically their scoring system is broken and I think itā€™s really 3 out of 5.

6 Likes

No read Lonetechā€™s post. It seems Tomshardware has released 2 versions of his review. I would wager the 3/5 is the one Pumcy intended not the 3/10.

3 Likes

Okā€¦maybe Iā€™m just weirdā€¦ when the Kickstarter ended and Pimax sent us the survey of accessories we would like to add to our pledge, I thought the upgraded headmount would be the only mount we would receive so I purchased the cloth strap as wellā€¦ little did I understand I would be receiving it for free anyway. I guess Iā€™ll be receiving an extra cloth strap. The Pimax 4K has a cloth strap and yes Iā€™ve read many complaints about itā€¦mostly that it fails over timeā€¦ however, the 4K strap on my unit is still in great shape and to meā€¦ itā€™s the most comfortable HMD I ownā€¦

4 Likes

He mentioned the native oculus support. I think he was trying with beatsaber to reduce performance optimizations in steam for a more simple run of the title.

Though not sure if that would work as well though might going through revive. Titles launched from Oculus directly from pimax at least seem to yeild better performance than steamvr native titles.

1 Like

With the stretch goal yes it was intended to replace the basic strap. I think they simply changed this as the new headmount is not ready yet.

However I can see folks wanting to exchange that then for extra face foam?

I like the comfort if the 4k overal but hatebthr nuisance of removing the hesdset for a moment.

The conclusion is rediculous, rating the headset at 1.5 gen because there is no audiostrap yet, while they know itā€™s being made. Pfff if it was included then it issudenly a 2 gen headset, yeah right. Also saying wide FOV as a ā€œfancy featureā€ and saying the rest is not living up to expectations, total crap. its better imagequality then all the headsets on the market. Also i trust Sweviver more with the benchmarks, after testing and playing 400+ gamesā€¦

9 Likes

Consider this please.

http://community.openmr.ai/t/friendly-advice-with-sugar-on-top-do-not-go-for-the-8k/8882/432?u=heliosurge

Yes, it was 3/5 before but the review was weird, it was a very in depth review of the externals of the headset and actual gameplay had like one line.

Certainly a review would focus on how it actually is to use the headset.

1 Like

Yupā€¦ I agree it is a nuisance but I personally like a tight fit when Iā€™m in serious gaming modeā€¦ If iā€™m going to play for an hour or more a gameā€¦ give me that tight fit and let me leave the real world for a good amount of time. That snug fit is certainly for me. Iā€™ll probably keep the extra-strap instead of swapping it for an extra face foamā€¦ just in case.

2 Likes

There are 2 different links to the same article. See Lonetechā€™s post above.

I donā€™t think the Pimax 8K and 5K+ are representative of what Pimax can achieve
but yes this review is comically dishonest
We might disagree with them but Sebastian and Sweviver are such great testers, seriously
comparing their test with Tomshardware testā€¦

TomsHardware:
ā€œItā€™s going to take more than a couple of high-resolution panels slapped into an ultra-wide headset to knock the HTC Vive Pro off the top of our Best VR Headsets list [ā€¦]
The Pimax 5K+ lacks the premium features we would expect from a ā€œnext generationā€ headset, such as an easily adjustable head strap, built-in headphones, built-in eye trackingā€

( they say that despite the eye tracking module incoming from Pimax )

3 Likes

HTC Vive Pro Headset Review: A High Bar for Premium VR | Tom's Hardware written in Aprilā€¦

ā€œContrary to many arguments, weā€™re of the belief that expensive hardware does not hurt the growth of the VR industry. In these early years, we would rather see advancements in every aspect of VR hardware before the dramatic price drops become the norm.ā€ ā€¦Yet penalizes the Pimax for people who arenā€™t willing to buy expensive video cards to drive their VR headsetsā€¦

Mentions nothing about the bad microphone the vive pro is known for.

Does not give a 'numerical value for the vive pro review as he does the Pimaxā€¦

Yet stated in his Vive review, ā€œThe Vive Pro is the best consumer VR headset that money can buy today. HTC made advances in comfort and image quality that will carry forward into coming generations of VR hardware. The cost of entry is steep, but if youā€™re serious about VR, itā€™s worth the investment.ā€

It is clear that he treated the Pimax review differently than the Vive Pro reviewā€¦ Also pretty obvious that he be default is preferring the Vive Pro over the Pimax which pretty much reduces any form of credibility this guy has.

10 Likes

I guess we better get used to the publications saying it is shit and avoid it. They are all looking for the Oculus Quest approach - keep it plug & play, affordable for everyone, donā€™t ask for a high-end PC. So yes, in that light the Pimax is shit and the Quest will shine.

I just happen to see two different markets with two different types of users being served:

1. One being the mass market adoption group, where undoubtedly the Pimax would freak them out if they learnt that they more or less are supposed to buy the newest (and honestly completely overpriced GPUs) in order to play the games properly, and then still some playing with the settings is required (and you still have the annoying LH sensors you will have to place in your room). So here the Pimax is really 3/X (X being the currently display scale on the TH site, changing daily).

2. The VR enthusiast (but not rich) group. They donā€™t want to replace their current VR setup with something which may be a bit easier to use, but doesnā€™t offer any of the desperately sought after advancements in key features of VR headsets. Something like the Quest may be a nice supplement for certain use cases for them, but they are mainly interested in getting the experience to the next level, even if that means -as an early adopter - to not always get a completely polished experience.

I am under the distinct impression that some websites are starting to focus almost entirely on the mass market group, plus perhaps the commercial user group if a Star VR or else comes along. Fine, be it so (and in defence of TH it should be mentioned that unlike some others they at least are not a VR-centric publication so they have a better case to make for the assumption that the vast majority of their readers is not into VR yet).

Let us wait and see how our experience with the Pimax headsets will be. We all come from the polished and supposingly ā€œbetterā€ currently available headsets, and if the Pimax really deserve a 3/10, most of us will sell the headset off again after having played around with it for a couple of weeks.

On Pumcy I would guess that he stopped actually checking the M1 out pretty early when it still wasnā€™t working well as we heard, and probably missed lots of the updates and did not bother to play with the settings as e.g. Sweviver did. Wehn you look at his PiTool & SteamVR SS settings, you can see that these are what Sweviver warned to not use. I guess Pumcy only had the 2080 at his disposal for a short time and after that wasnā€™t able to check for the updates, certainly not for the M2.

So this article in fact is old news when released, but of course will lead many of its unsuspecting readers to believe that this is a fair representation of what the headsets have in store.

Actually we shouldnā€™t be too worried about it, all the Onward, Pavlov, Assetto Corsa, etc. players will notice one day which headset seems to be giving its users an edge over the competition :smiling_imp:

7 Likes

This sums it up as itā€™s an old article & they might not have hadca rating system at the time.

3 Likes

The USA site itā€™s 3/5, the same article on the UK site is 3/10. Iā€™ve never seen Tomā€™s rate on x/10 but always x/5, so IMHO itā€™s just a typo when they copied the article for the UK edition.

2 Likes