Tomshardware review continued

Maybe it was the “+” you added?

1 Like

Weird… do you still get the 3/10 .co.uk result if you try in incognito?

Yeah - you’re right, 3/10 .co.uk review is now top of the list :poop:

1 Like

No your right to ask for a certified answer. :innocent: mine was guess based on. Pumcy saying long ago that he’s a freelance journalist.

Gotta love companies outsourcing jobs. Tech support is often times outsourced to a call center with que cards.

Unfortunately if you search for pimax review, the 3/10 result is third on the list… :poop: :poop: :poop:

I never thought that there is something like “top 50 C++ developers in the UK” ranking? How do you rank them? Is by the duels, or do you do some death match parties? :wink:

3 Likes

I wish the resolution per eye was given in the benchmarks. Given what resolution per eye 100% equals is changing often, these benchmarks will likely be useless by the time even the initial kickstarter orders arrive.

It really is a shame the incentive structure at TH doesn’t reward thoroughness. We need good 2080 series benchmarks for the Pimax headsets and TH had the chance to do it first…unfortunately they punted and instead told us what we already know, the Pimax isn’t for first time non-techy VR users.

I would love to see answered what resolution per eye allows the Pimax to be playable on a 2080 Ti, 2080 and 1080 Ti and if such resolution makes the experience better than with a Vive Pro.

Aye, I switched off when he started praising himself, I think it was some website where developers are ranked by clients but I never followed it up, this was way back in 2002. Plenty of sites do a ranking system these days though.

1 Like

Number 1 on my list, but I live in the UK, so that makes sense.

By ego. :laughing:

(20 characters)

5 Likes

It should never have had a rating in the first place. It’s not a retail product.

8 Likes

And you know what ? That is exactly what I doubt would happen (to such dramatic extent) if there is no other reason to conveniently utilize such weird rule.

If you look at PC games, first of all I have never seen them being flat-out dismissed as unplayable because they demand greater GPU power. Check out the old Crysis tests etc. Would journalists mention the extreme demand ? Absolutely, but in a balanced way, pointing out which reward you get for the price. And secondly, only because the user needs to tweak two settings within the game or within Windows DirectX (to draw parallels to PiTool & SteamVR) it never ever would be considered unplayable because they have a raondom rule prohibiting to consider such tweaked experiences. They would be the laughing stock of their community if they argued that.

Actually, this reminds me of the reason why Youtubers have come to be successful - the frustration of users with the coverage by the traditional media was growing, because over the years the dependance of the media on ads placed and early access or exclusives granted by the big publishers simply created a very unhealthy ecosystem in which the publishers at some stage didn’t even need to say a word anymore and would get unjustified, favourable reviews of their products, and possibly unfavourable reviews of competition products. In some cases the publishers didn’t want to leave it to chance, and when e.g. agreeing to exclusivity coverage, would even negotiate a minimum rating upfront.

I cannot say if this also has crept into VR journalism, but for traditional gaming journalism it is a well-known issue. Hence the emergence of Youtubers - who of course then again are potentially almost as vulnerable to such dependencies as journalists once they start to do it for money or vanity; as one can see with the influencers.

I am glad though that we are talking of a product here with a target audience which will inform itself a lot through different forums with lots of user reviews coming up, so their initial impression from such reviews may be one of “steer clear of Pimax, the Vive Pro is still king” but once the user reviews are coming this picture may see quite a change. And they will notice such change, and if that were to happen, they will learn what to think of certain publications for the future who told them a different story.

And now I will stop here and wait exactly for these user reviews, because of course I cannot say for sure that the reviewers got it wrong until the impressions from the Berlin backers are confirmed by the backers who received their units. However, if that were to happen as I expect (hope) it will, I will surely want to revisit this discussion because it would raise a couple of questions which cannot be brushed away with some feeble reference to TH internal rules…

3 Likes

Ah yes it would if a review is based on default settings it would score low if not working. 3/5 is only 1 point lower than 4. Once pimax is closer to retail release I am certain steam’s dynamic resolution will have realistic targets.

Depending on what steam bases ss target is likely based on what pimax is feeding it. But may also need Valve to make adjustments to get it working right.

Ah good old crysis; i could get buttery smooth gameplay on low-med settings on my old socket 478 p4 2.8ghz with 800mhz fsb running an amd 3000 series gpu (have to take the senior citizen out if the closet & look) last amd agp x8 gpu either 512 or 1gig ram.

Great game with no effects (great way to cheat ti finish the game).

Higher settings look good but gittery as hell.

1 Like

And it’s only 1 point above “forget it”.

And - I didn’t call up Crysis to go down memory lane but to show the remarkable approach taken by the TH review here - alleging that if you cannot run it in standard settings it isn’t really playable.
That kind of review would have been torn to pieces by PC users if said about a game.

Pimax customers will be PC users too. And even a comparable subsection of them - the ones who want more and are willing to pay & tweak more.

I will wait to see how the target audience responds to the Pimax headsets, and what I think of mine. And then I will re-read the reviews and bring it up again because I am really not yet done with it - for my liking it just went too far in diminishing the advantages and emphasizing the downsides, far beyond what I would have expected in an objective take.

If it had a warning sign that only experienced users should consider it, sure, that would be fair, but telling us that even for an experienced user the Vive Pro would be giving an equivalent experience ? Really - are you serious ? Is the Wii U giving an equivalent experience to the PS4 then too ?

1 Like

Tinkerers csn always run things below minimum.

If mem serves in steam forums a fellow was running dying light I think on an amd 5770. Tinker users are users whom usually really know how to make things work inspite of min specs.

I have seen users modify Windows installer & tweak the installer to run on computers that Windows would refuse to install on.

We are talking about a broad range of users. Not ones that are into tweaking settings & editing/hex editing cfg & exe files.

So were talking a fruit basket & not just apples.

Computers haven’t been for just geeky nerds anymore. Or we’d still be running everything from the commandline.

I remember when a graphical interface was frowned upon. Remember Workbench os?

We are talking about two rulers, one in SteamVR, the other in PiTool. These two with settings available from the swarm intelligence will apparently do the whole trick.

No rocket science, certainly no editing/hex editing cfg & exe files, etc. No bananas, pears, strawberries.
Just the simplest of apples.

And that is supposed to be beyond PC users featuring high-end PC‘s looking for an upgrade from a Rift, Vive or other headset where the latter already cost them a couple of hundred to 1,000$?

That is the basis for the TH review, for its central statement, which also dominates the headline, that this headset will not even run properly with the new high end GPU generation.

I find that shocking. If the author would say that he simply didn‘t have the time to check it out properly, now recognizes that he overlooked the important but at the end pretty simple prerequisite to set the this headset to work properly, complains that Pimax didn‘t instruct him how to overcome the issue, then withdraws or rewrites the article, I could appreciate it.

But to let this stand, as if it were true that the Pimax will not let you play the games on a 2080 is not acceptable in my view as by now the author has to be aware that he was erring in his central statement.

Sorry, I have nothing more to say about this, and I will not assist in diverting the discussion to shallow, irrelevant waters about Crysis or Workbench os either.

1 Like

Good because reviews for the whole of computer users include those whom are plug-n-play no fuss users; whom expect no fuss & bother.

I would hate for someone buying a powerful Steambox expecting that console experience to be disappointed.

But i must ask why did you bring Crysis into the discussion if you didn’t want yo discuss it?

1 Like

Come-on D3Pixel, he’s free lancer paid 350$ for article for which he probably don’t have any more right by contract and your asking to HIM influence Tom’s hardware IT maintenance.

Beside Pimax still doesn’t have fix his main site and this forum after the first mention of the problem of the 16 September so who’s slow to fix thing here and damage his own reputation… (@Heliosurge is this fixed? private reply appreciated )

Why everybody goes “nucular” on everyone in the past weeks? It was really fun to exchange and wait for my headset with you all but in the past days it’s becoming very tedious to read any messages posted here.

We have the chance to exchange directly with the reviewers in this forum why not give them a break even if we are not 15% in accord with what they write…

2 Likes

I still do not think he should have put a rating on a pre released product. It’s just bad journalism

2 Likes