Tomshardware review continued

I believe @Pumcy has already addressed this in the original thread, but I would not be surprised if he has close to zero control over what, when and how is published and/or republished or corrected on TH sites.

3 Likes

It’s his original work, of course he has some control. But it may damage relations if he acts on it.

I have no control over what’s published on the UK site. I can’t edit it, I can’t take it down.

6 Likes

I don’t know how much control he has after the article is posted & with how he was treated might not be a mindstate to want to do much than whst has been done.

1 Like

Let’s cut him some slack. I don’t even think he was using the release version of the product yet, was he? I think it’s too early to write a definitive review of a product that is not even released though. I don’t think that is really fair. There had to be something wrong with his sample or his setup. There is no way he tries the 5K and comes away thinking the Vive Pro is better. I have the Vive Pro, Vive, all of the Rifts…there is no way. Even without the biggest selling point (FOV), it is going to be superior by increasing the clarity and sweet spot and taming some of the god rays. I am not saying he wasn’t honest in his feedback- I think there was something wrong in his setup.

2 Likes

The funny thing is - this will be the rating which will be remembered by people not following closely. Usually pre-release versions are not rated but reviewers give impressions but reserve the rating until the retail package is there.

So if the StarVR had the same issue that you would need to manually correct the SteamVR resolution it means the headset can get a shitty rating even if it may be the best headset out there hands-down (say, it came in at 1,400$ for the sake of this consideration) ?

All the different points may be unfortunate circumstances, making the Pimax look worse than anybody at TH intend it to look. However, my experience in life tells me that if there is a number of „coincidences“ which all happen to work out to the detriment of the reviewed product, the statistical chance of this happening by sheer accident is considerably lower than that there is a steering intent behind it.

I really wish for HTC and Oculus to bring us even better devices. But until they do, I will not cooperate to pretend that their products are still the best you can get to experience great VR if they don‘t get their act together to bring us such improved versions.

1 Like

That’s not what I meant. I assume when you publish an article it just propagates to all sister sites? If you edit the original then I would assume that too gets updated to all other sites? So there could be some control here if you wanted?

I am not trying to be a dick here as some would think but to find a solution that helps Pimax.

So what about:

1. Take down the original article because 3/10 on UK site is not what you rated it at. I assume the UK article would also vanish as it is some kind of mirror?

2. Edit the original article with a bold message at the bottom that says something along the lines of “If you see a score of 3/10 then please bear with us while we fix the scoring system, the final score is actually a 3/5 or 6/10

3. Get hard with TH as your name is being misrepresented with an incorrect score on the UK site and a 3/10 for the 5K+ will damage Pimax.

3 Likes

The Rating system is TH requirement for reviews written. So yes StarVR would receive a lower rating for not working with Steam’s dynamic resolution.

The real questions:

1. will 400 games tested with settings input from testers. Why is it not fixed? Is it something that needs to be fixed on both pimax & steam side? Or simply pimax end?

2. Why was the 2 headsets sent out without equal display calibration?

Your question though contained the answer; you were looking for. Now Pimax could have also given a release themselves in a media package as an official source to the dynamic resolution bug.

The Rating system is out of the box default settings. Which is actually better is a different story & perspective. For us no way are those better. For the guy with 20 toolbars and 100 desktop icons maybe not.

While he wrote the article it was bought & no longer would have that control. TH took ownership once they published it.

You are guessing how Toms hardware publication system works?

Articles are edited constantly so that would be a very inefficient system. Even Wordpress has Author control to edit your own content and it could require a publisher to approve the changes or not.

Anyway, please let Pumcy answer as these are his expertise.

Heliosurge is right.
TH owns the rights to the article. I can not take it down, and I can not change the rating.
Edits done on the main website do not automatically translate to the other sites. It’s being looked at by the people in charge but its 100% out of my control.
If I could do anything about it, I would have already.

8 Likes

Ok, thanks for answering. As a 3D Artist we have all sorts of rights to original work even if we sell it to stop others from reselling it / rebranding etc. @Heliosurge you were right, my apologies to say you were guessing :slight_smile:

1 Like

The agreement with TH is that as soon as I hand over an article, they receive 100% rights to my work.
I have no right to republish it, resell it, alter it, or use the images I took for anything else.

As for the rating change, it’s not as simple as changing a number. The system should be out of 5, but it used to be out of 10. Our CMS does not accept values higher than 5, so we can’t just change it to 6.
There’s a bug on the UK site and the developers are having trouble finding it.

My review is not the only one affected. The ratings for many reviews are screwed up.

7 Likes

When you said what they pay you in a previous post, I assumed at that price it would not include 100% ownership as your name was still attributed. That would be the first thing I would remove as would not promote somebody else if I owned full rights to something.

Got ya. It doesn’t look good for the #1 tech site if they can’t fix a global rating error after 3 days. They must have a monkey as their DBA :smiley:

4 Likes

It’s more complicated than it appears.

TH and several other websites including Anandtech and laptopmag are in the middle of an ownership transition. The people who worked on the backend are probably not with the company anymore and the new parent company has only had control for 2 weeks.

3 Likes

So in 2 weeks the new company have managed to screw up the rating system? Sounds like a crazy thing to do but you never know if a disgruntled developer accidentally-on-purpose forgot to enable a cron job or something.

3 Likes

Maybe. But there’s also the “WTF was that asshole thinking” moments whenever I try to work on someone else’s code…

1 Like

hehe, I think every coder when refactoring or fixing likes the challenge of bettering the other guy. The unsaid developer challenge.

I once worked for a company as a project manager for a web dev team, suddenly there was a management shift above me and instead of reporting to the MD, I had this new guy who proudly claimed to be in the top 50 C++ developers in the UK. He was very narcissistic and drove us all mad. Anyway, a bug happened on a big client website. He gave me hell. I worked all through the night looking through all developer code looking for oddities and then I found it.

The next morning he came into work and without saying good morning to my disheveled all-nighter appearance he just said “Well?” I took great pride in informing him the bug was not my dev team but his doing. He did not believe me of course but after looking through his own tiny contribution to the project, spotted his fatal mistake. He never apologized and continued on being his usual self. Me and 2 others left the company after that. It is a real mixed industry with some brilliant developers but you also get ones like this guy. Too brilliant for their own good.

4 Likes

I’m based in the UK and if I search (using my default google.co.uk), for some reason I get 2 slightly differently titled article links from 3 days ago which are both 3/5 and using a .com address:

2 Likes

Also UK and I get this:

3/10…pff… who wants to buy my 5k+??? :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like