Today I Learned: Humans only see Stereoscopic3D at a < 90° FOV (and why most HMDs aim for this as a minimum)

you don’t need stereo 3d for periphery that’s not what high fov is about. It’s about spatial awareness.

And yes it’s as important as you previously thought. Try walking around for a day in real life with blinders on and tell me how much FOV doesn’t matter.

4 Likes

Could be, for me this “pseudo-3D” did not work even on projector - I just see 2D plane floating in 3D space. The astronomy example is bit different - each eye has it’s own eyepiece (like binocular) which is showing exactly same image with the same angle.

There are some pseudo 3D features though - eg the contrast shadows on Moon, or on open star cluster there are bright and dim stars which creates illusion of some being closer. But those kind of effects are apparent also in mono-view.

1 Like

For the sake of the argument just put your both hands on your head close to your ears in a ways to only block your extreme lateral vision, the thumb and index V around your ears contour. And yes like you said about 140 degree is some kind of acceptable compromise.

— I think going less than 140 ° ,
Towards 90 - 100 ° means you are a lot more aware of " looking through " the headset with a kind of tunnel effect. I get the same with the hands test , and head rotations with a narrow view is not as comfortable. " Hitlab " under Tom Furness attempted to measure its effect on presence. Though its hard to separate ideas of subjectivity from human vision.

REF :

1. Lin , Furness et al " Effects of field of view on presence " ( 2002 )
    [ https://www.vrdriversim.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/SimulatorSicknessEffectsOfFieldOfViewVision-719895A0.pdf ]
2 Likes

I cannot process or understand this statement in any way.

4 Likes

it is very simple english, I had no 3d effect in my pimax headsets, no presence whatsoever

Your second statement is already clearer; but stating that it is like using a flat screen is so baffling and clearly tautologically false to me I could not help not to comment.

4 Likes

Then to be exact it’s like using 2 flat screens :wink:

4 Likes

3d sensitivity varies from person to person. One user here for example explained woman often see less 3d effect say from 3d movies? So there are factors that will affect one’s perceived 3d effect.

First gen vr headsets have full 3d overlap due to limited FoV. Where as a wide FoV gen 2 headset will not have as much 3d overlap. How much vs a gen1 headset? Will depend on the manufacture’s design and the user’s own physiology factors. Ie a bigger nose will block one eye from the other. Where as a small flar nose provides less obstruction.

When testing a game using vorpx, (Halo 3), i found the 3D effect using the Pimax 8kX was very prominent and as i described in an earlier post was screen popping in your face 3D, i I think people would have a much better understanding of how 3D is as much about the specific app or program they are using if they would try VorpX just for experimentals sake to see how the image can be wrapped using various settings for example g3d vs. z3d vs immersive. G3D is the only way to judge proper 3D depth using vorpX.

1 Like

Also Heliosurge I have noticed some for what ever reason load up one program and thats all they base their personal findings on over and over they state SteamVR home looks a certain way and this and that never exploring other apps or games everything based on steam vr home like they only have vr to view steam vr home, and i never use steam vr home personally. Seriously get out there and try other games and apps people, stop being so narrow minded.

2 Likes

Indeed SteamVR home by itself is not a good compare. As you’d want to use a high res environment from the workshop.

It would be like using an old game like InMind VR game to say how good a headset looks. :laughing:

2 Likes

Especially when you add to that what people do with VR headsets, they play games! High FOV is essential to improve playability of games, detecting enemies and so on. This is wide ultra-wide monitors and Nvidia surround came into existence. VR takes it further and is essential in my opinion.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.