Today I Learned: Humans only see Stereoscopic3D at a < 90° FOV (and why most HMDs aim for this as a minimum)

LOL, I have been told several times in the meantime that the 4k XTAL is not yet working and the StarVR cannot be considered with this vive resolution.

It really looks like the “bad” cheap Pimax is the most advanced so far. :rofl::joy:

2 Likes

And with good reason, Google, Apple, Facebook, Microsoft, Sony spend $$$ in lab prototypes and the final result is simply not ready for market. The Reverb G2 is far from a “black and white television" by the way…

Yes maybe in some way they do like Intel and try to control de market flow but real technological challenges are underline the VR development time line. Bigger then a 50mm lens and you goth some problem. No real conspiracy here…

Also chipset manufactures are limited can you name another cie then Analogix for the 4K VR video bridge?

Yes so even those pricey lens are not enough :wink: and Pimax is not cheap at 2000$ for a complete solution :wink:

We are at the edge of what can technology can do today. Personally even at 3000$ I would not buy those headsets. It’s great that Pimax offer large FOV but I think they could offer a more general solution targeting more people if they would reduce the maximum FOV a bit to get more resolution and less distortion.

With the X, they may be able to earn the money you need for such developments in the future. :wink:

Against the StarVR ($3200) and the Xtal ($8000), well, 1300 are cheap.

BTW, Remember, the XTAL use the same Displays.

I think you mean the 8k Xtal. The previous Xtal that had nice reviews was 5k…1​:beers::wink::+1::sparkles:

1 Like

Yes, 2x4k…
The old $5000 xtal will work, but is also only StarVR res. For me, both nothing to compare with the X, more with 8k+

I think you’d find like GPU and CPU vendors it is more trickling out technology to max profits. Big companies look at how fast they can make returns on money spent.

Nvidia and AMD for example have more advanced GPUs than are available to Joe Consumer. These often sell for prices way out of reach of even some of the wealthiest of Enthusiasts.

I worked for a company where some modifications to the machines we ran would be costly; however would reduce waste and even potential risks of injury from reworking the product.

A fellow whom really knew the business side. Told me your right. However the money spent this year on costly upgrades would need to pay for itself within X amount of time and show profitability. He said unfortunately the losses we have on the factory do not make enough of a dent to the profits to “justify” the expenses. Yes this is a fortune 500 company with considerable world wide sales. I am glad to no longer be apart of a company that honestly has no real care for the environment, employees. They only care about appearance and sales and profits.

1 Like

Actually the 5k Xtal is much higher res than StarVR One. However it has 30° less FoV at 180 wide.

If they could get the og Xtal refined with better refresh rates on par with the 5k+ (even just 120hz)and reduce the weight to an acceptable level. They could indeed have the consumer version they teased about possibly making.

Though at present they need there high priced new 8k model working at least as good as the 5k model. However atm it seems there not doing that well getting things working well at all. This could still be in their roadmap.

Like every thing else in the world :wink: so would Pimax in the same position… if there was an easy solution marketable for some $$ other cie would have tried it. I and you would probable too Max profit by the way, for example the index is back-order and selling well why would you send a new 2.0 right now!

The simple truth you hit the nail on the head. Valve doesn’t likely have any intentions of making an improved marketable headset anytime in the foreseeable future. I can see perhaps a Quest like headset being released maybe. Valve could have released something much better than what they did.

I think Valve after having LG bail on releasing “Ultragear” and Valve’s DeV kits for OEMs to make VR Headsets failed. Valve created the Index to drive interest in working with Valve and it seems to some extent it worked with HP; though odd HP doesn’t have a SteamVR tracking upgrade to purchase.

Pimax is more on making bumps to their headsets and likely to see improved models every year in some form. Much like some buy new cpus and gpus every year for at times minor to medium bumps.

1 Like

Maybe Samsung with a better offering Odyssey++ this fall, Pimax I don’t know they seems so much over their heads and they must sell the 8K-X a least one year before upgrading anything… maybe a higher model with ET integrated but I really doubt the casing and lens will change soon

HP was targeting the office VR with the G1: household agent, CAD, 3D Art. In a office setting, fix base station tracking is not necessarily a plus. This would also increase cost design, the 16 sensors to spread around the casing is really annoying to design and produce even has an add-on and normally add-ons sell less then the original product…

I honestly think ET will likely remain seperate. The main changes I see maybe late Nov 2021 to first Quarter would be an 8kX+ with DP 2.0(should be adopted well by then), return of 2nd usb-c port, newer panels(with higher refresh rates), and possibly an improved lens(not a full redesign though). The Face gasket might have a new revision that can be bought for og pimax p2 headsets with an eye relief mechanism.

Would be surprise not even a hint from Analogix for a 2.0 bridge normally product brief goes online months before availability…

1 Like

That was the G1 and we know for the most part first gen MS WMR didn’t do as well as hoped. HTC already added the option of a Steamvr tracking module upgrade/option to the Cosmos. Xtal 5k also has thr steamvr module plate. Unless Something comes out that drastically really competes with Steamvr tracking a module like that is likely to sell okay and the sensors themselves if mem serves is. A $1/ sensor.

Now though we do see that MS has not abandoned WMR as seen with the new 4 camera? Setup on the g2. As we know the Rift S does well with it’s camera setup.

As for Sony? It could be interesting to see what they release when Psvr2 is released; it might even be more interesting if they have pc official support shortly after for their headsets.

Either way only time will reveal what is to come. There seems to be many possibilities on the Horizon maybe even Oculus Half Dome in 2022?

That’s why maybe near the end of next year. :beers::wink::+1::sparkles:

Ah ok first quarter 2022!

1 Like

Stereo overlap is important, but it is not the only attribute which builds the 3d image. There are lot of other clues like object occlusion, shadows etc. from which our brain can build 3D scene.

Close one eye for some time - do you really see only 2D? As child I spent quite a lot of time with 1 eye only (as exercise to make each eye work well). And I can still see pretty well 3D image like this. But I think judging close distances becomes bit more difficult (but I still have no problem using stairs like some people claim to have with mono vision).

Now getting those visual clues - we need good resolution and image. So VR is not exactly there yet (eg shadows calculation is generally very bad but at least occlusion works well). And with better resolution we will get better clues (esp. in distance). At the end it depends on brain a lot - whether it can build 3D image from information or not.

Just to confuse it more - in astronomy many people claim to see 3D image using stereoscopic binocular attachment (instead of single eyepiece). In this case both eyes get exactly same image and yet they claim it is more 3D than looking with only one eye. I do not fall in this category but it is to show how it is very individual and depends on what brain interprets.

6 Likes

I’ve noticed this too, on a computer screen. Place 2 identical images side-by-side and cross your eyes so that the images merge. (Just like cross-eyed stereo). For me, I see a bit of 3D depth in the middle (overlapped) image. In this case, although the images are identical, each eye sees a slightly different image, due to pixel imperfections and dust on screen.

https://www.lockhaven.edu/~dsimanek/3d/stereo/3dgallery2.htm

1 Like