Thick, plush face foam to replace factory foam?

Can someone recommend a replacement to the included face foam pad? I’m looking for something thicker. I don’t care if it reduces field of view or about other side effects. I simulated thicker foam by pulling the hmd away from my face and I’m fine with the increase in distance.

My real problem is with my glasses. They dig into my face like crazy and I can’t wear the hmd for very long. I also don’t want to scratch the lenses with my glasses. My glasses lenses press directly on the Pimax lenses even though my glasses are quite small. I literally had to modify a pair of old glasses so they wouldn’t rub in the lenses.

EDIT: My temporary solution below (https://community.openmr.ai/t/thick-plush-face-foam-to-replace-factory-foam/14420/15?u=flangebot)

5 Likes

Hi- I use VR COVER pads for VIVE, which suits quite good. And to close area under nose, I did cut partially original foam from pimax foam for this section only. Looks goos and feels good. And does not smell that much any longer, too.

2 Likes

Which headset did you receive?

5k+

Twenty characters…

1 Like

My solution

Pimax foam on top of vive wide foam

Placed self adhesive Velcro between to keep them from moving.

Works well for me.

6 Likes

Nice! Foam-ception. I like it. If I had a spare laying around, I’d try it.

1 Like

Does the cover go over the existing foam? The picture makes it look like it replaces the existing foam and it actually looks to be about the same thickness; maybe thinner.

1 Like

Yes, it does replace the original one and is slightly thicker. But your are right. It might be still not enough. I will check, if I can use an additional small foam layer to make it thicker.

1 Like

Okay, so I actually took the foam off my Vive and put it over the top and it works pretty well. Obviously it doesn’t stay on, but works until I find a more permanent solution. Thanks for the suggestion!

1 Like

If you put the vive foam first the nose area of the pimax foam will hold the bottom of the foams in place. Then the only problem will be the top. I also added tape to it now if you have it you could do that.

5 Likes

all these well intended but “frankenstinian” solutions while waiting for the stretch goals to be shipped, it’s a shame.

1 Like

I actualy prefer the basic headstrap and wireless headphones on the vive over the DAS. I am looking forward to the flip up option like the psvr though.

1 Like

Does your glasses fit ok inside now?

1 Like

They do, but my frames are quite small. Imgur: The magic of the Internet

It might be a bit too thick now. I have a WMR headset not being used and that padding is thinner so I’m going to give that a shot.

I ended up using the foam from my Lenovo WMR headset. I had some velcro and wrapped it around the pimax foam in various places, put it back on the headset and then stuck attached the other foam on top. I haven’t tried it out for any long sessions yet; only a quick fit check to make sure my glasses would fit and it would fall off. It it not as secure as it could be, but there is zero light bleed thanks to how the nose piece bends up on the Lenovo foam and it seem secure enough to not have to worry about. I cut the velcro to size so it wasn’t excessively wrapped around the pimax foam.

6 Likes

Which headset did you receive?

I replied above on my phone (5k+). For whatever reason, it wasn’t showing as a reply to you.

EDIT: And still isn’t. I clicked the “Reply” button under your message.

1 Like

Forum can be strange. But did show up in email notification as a reply. :beers::sunglasses::+1::sparkles:

@anon74848233 please add to earlybackers group.

This should fit and its cheep :slight_smile:
https://community.openmr.ai/t/anti-light-leak-face-pads/14348

2 Likes

This could be the new double layer club. We welcome new pictures of your double layer. Pimax should take note, as I didn’t find the pimax that comfortable at first.
I also noticed last night that it has drastically reduced the distortion on the sides. It did reduce the fov a bit but the peripheral looked spot on with no motion blur.

5 Likes