Thick, plush face foam to replace factory foam?

@flangebot
Great idea with the velcro ties.
Quick to fit + you can easily test lots of different pads.
I had a roll of double sided velcro & attached a kiwi design 6mm pad on top of my 11.5mm pimax one.
It’s just about right for me now.
Oddly The 11.5mm + 6mm on top, feels better than a kiwi design 18mm on it’s own & just about keeps the lens off my nose as long as I dont tighten too much.
11.5mm pimax + 18mm was too much & affected outer distortion.

Come on pimax. Sort it out & include a thicker one.
We shouldnt have to bodge face cushions to make the headsets useable.

7 Likes

I was fighting with the cushion height for weeks so as to let my glasses fit in without hurting my nose…ending with contact lenses as the only solition.

3 Likes

@flangebot received the 5k+ today, you inspired me hehe :wink:

3 Likes

Has anyone tried the VRCover Odyssey 24mm foam replacement ?
I used one of their product for the Vive (the slim 6mm foam replacement) and was happy about it, but unfortunately, they don’t have anything specially made for the Pimax, so I was wondering if it would fit.

2 Likes

Just as a side question; why don’t I need my glasses on my 4K but do I need them on my 5K+? Why is that?

Are you near sighted? Pimax 4k was designed for near sighted to 20/20. This caused issues fir far sighted individuals.

Pimax 5 & 8k are deisigned for 20/20.

As a matter of fact I am near sighted. My 4K is sharp without glasses but my 5K+ I need to wear my glasses for, or lenses.
Is there a reason why they didn’t do it the same way as the 4K?

I am considering selling my 5K+ again just for that.

1 Like

I posted why they didn’t make the 5k & 8k like tge 4k.

The 4k being designed to accommodate Near sighted did cause strain for some with 20/20 vision. Anyone farsighted the headset was unusable by most even with trying to use their glasses.

Some farsighted users like @lukeb initially had a double up mod using reading glasses to normalize the focus. Later Luke added washers to correct the lens to screen distsnce (1.0mm)

Another user created a 3d printed spacer of 1.5mm to eliminate the myopia support.

Now if pimax had they could have had a simple knob to move lenses closer or far away like the vive pro has. However could introduce more difficulties in their distortion profile.due to canted display distance to lens vs gen parallell headset with standard lenses.

Note that Vive index does this with canted displays (though its only 5 degrees)

Canted lenses. Still haven’t seen one that says displays. 5° is not much & they are not using special wide FoV lenses.

https://www-pcgamer-com.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/www.pcgamer.com/amp/valve-index-specs-price-pre-order/?amp_js_v=a2&amp_gsa=1&usqp=mq331AQCCAE%3D#referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com&amp_tf=From%20%251%24s&ampshare=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.pcgamer.com%2Fvalve-index-specs-price-pre-order%2F

“Optical Canting”

“Instead of a mount perpendicular to the user’s eyes, the headset’s displays cant outward by 5 degrees. This improves outer FOV while balancing the inner FOV.”

Yes they contradict themselves. If optics & displays are canted than optics are parallel to displays. Making distance to screen even.

So not the same as pimax setup as only displays are canted.

Need to re look at Doc-Ok’s paper as the relief knob itself isn’t new as he wrote about eye distance to lens affecting FoV.

Yeah even looking at the pictures on the HMD web site they displays do not look canted at all so its probably just the lenses

1 Like

Keep in mind 5° is still very slight. Often specs are not well published as we’ve seen.

I think wasn’t it StarVR & Vive pro they had res numbers inverted. X×Y & Y×X. Lol