The Eye-Tracking DFR Benchmarks from Pimax NOW Event (summary)

I guess its obvious - delay for one think - totally different housing production and all that goes with that for another.

4 Likes

Pimax has said that it can hold corrective lenses. They will release more info about the specifics, once itā€™s closer to shipping.

1 Like

Hi,

Sounds promising. :+1:

Since I have now reached the age where I need reading glasses, I would be interested. For the moment I still can get away without them when in VR, but I would like to use a blue light filter to prevent any eye damage.

1 Like

Iā€™ve reached that age too (sort of).

I wear multifocal (progressive bifocal) glasses, but Iā€™ve spent so much time in front of a computer that Iā€™m near-sighted and donā€™t need to wear glasses for using a computer or playing in VR. My unaided focal distance is about half a meter.

@SweViver

Most games do not utilize multicore CPUs well anyhow - I assume the required load for the eye-tracking will be auto-assigned to a less-utilized core ? In that case it should not hurt us too often in practice.

How well are DCS and XPlane optimized in their multicore CPU utilization ? Would be slightly astonsihed if they did it well and at the same time used higher percentages of the cores which would seem to be the only scenario were the new DFR computing demand could then bottleneck the performance substantially.

Looking forward to seeing the results on the 5k+. Got a 3700x + 2080ti so not really suffering now on most title but it would be great to have higher settings/scaling and keep the 120Hz at the same time

1 Like

As far as I can tell so far, DFR performance improvement is similar to FFR, but with the big difference that DFR is not distracting as FFR was, due to the fact the aras moves with your gaze/eye focus point. Thats very noticeable running aggressive mode, where with FFR it was quite distracting and with DFR is a much more pleasant experience.
They are both using VRS as the egine.

6 Likes

Not at all. Old engines and most of the rendering is done with 1 core. They both seem to work on implementing Vulkan support, but currently the Xplane 11.5 isnt really what we hoped for, Im afraid. Thats also the reason why DFR is not as efficient with these sims. Its up to the developers to optimize these simulators. Or simply hope the next GPUs will dramatixally improve the performance.

3 Likes

IL2 Sturmovik (flight simulator which I know very well) uses up to about 4 cores, but it has a ā€œhot threadā€ that previously limited overall performance. They released a patch about a month ago switching to something called ā€œdeferred renderingā€ that pushes more work onto the GPU and has less load on their hot thread. Everyone in VR saw big framerate improvements due to this. I believe DCS and XPlane have even more of a ā€œhot threadā€ issue than IL2.

Hopefully because we all have lots of cores on our computers, thereā€™s enough ā€˜spareā€™ capacity that the eye tracking CPU load will go on a different/less-used core, but weā€™ll need to carefully measure a bunch of different games to find out. PiTool has been inconsistently optimized in the past (the whole GPU usage thing on recent PiTools, for example) so even though eye tracking could be running on a different core, it might have some kind of frame time impact.

4 Likes

I guess the real issue with such games is that they are heavy on the CPU rather than the GPU and if DFR perform wonders on GPU load it is nice & great but it would not give us any greater perceived improvement simply because the GPU load on such games may in fact already be only about 60-70% and if DFR lowers that to 40-50% you wonā€™t notice itā€¦

Iā€™m pretty sure anyone playing DCS would like to increase their supersample setting. If you lower the GPU usage by 20% you can increase supersample by 20% (approximately), and have the same frame rate. Players will appreciate this. I think 8KX + eye tracking is going to be the ā€œgo toā€ option for sims like DCS.

4 Likes

120/144Hz mode use a narrower FOV / images.
But it would be interesting to see the impact difference between large and normal FOV indeed.

1 Like

Ah, thatā€™s going to be a problem. Forward rendering and MSAA are requirements for VRSS, which is the VR implementation of VRS.

I think this is also why Elite Dangerous has some trouble with FFR. Not sure what DCS uses, I know it uses the in house Eagle Dynamics engine.

Yes, youā€™re right. Technically itā€™s the NVidia VRS wrapper that requires forward rendering and MSAA. The underlying VRS can do something with deferred rendering, but you probably have to teach it how to. I read a couple of other papers that said VRS can still be used for deferred rendering but is more limited (but still a good performance gain).

Sources:
https://vr.tobii.com/sdk/foveation/rendering/in-game-engines/

My suspicion is that ā€˜normalā€™ forward-shaded games are the vast majority and that the niche simulators we all love with their custom engines are gonna either not work or require specific support from the developers.

3 Likes

Yeah sure, do you know if IL-2 works with FFR currently? I donā€™t have it myself.

ED does work with FFR, and pretty sure itā€™s using deferred, but it 's intrusive on the conservative setting.

DCS also works with it, and not as badly affected, so perhaps that is using forward rendering.

From what Sweviver says above, itā€™s possible that we could run DFR on the most aggressive settings to gain the best performance increase without it becoming intrusive, unlike FFR.

Also @Heliosurge just so weā€™re not having the same conversation in two different threads, better here :wink:

1 Like

I myself am not sure as donā€™t have that Title or an RTX Card.

However Games that are optimised with the Oculus SDK may have I believe one of their I think it is 4 FR techniques in use. Each has different game engine scenarios ie gpu heavy, cpu heavy etc. These methods if used are agnostic to gpu vendor. Oculus also has eyetracking in their SDK as well from my awareness. The only downside depending on your PoV is you need to use Oculus version of the game.

If memory serves one game of note is Lone Echo uses oculus FR for FFR. As it is baked into the game it is superior to a driver level up conversion.

Much like Filmed in 3d is considerably better than converted to 3d. Native is simply better.

1 Like

The last time I tried it (a couple of months ago) it worked fine in ED on my system. This might be an issue with one of the drivers or a specific video card. I have a factory-overclocked MSI 2080.

3 Likes

Hey @SweViver I know you are very busy but if you get a chance can see what DFR can do to increase performance of Stormland ? Considering the performance increase of The Forest with DFR it would be interesting to see how Stormland runs with it enabled.

1 Like

Just to be clear, VRS (Variable Rate Shading) and VRSS (Variable Rate Super Sampling) are two distinct features, but the later is based on the reverse principle of the former.
VRS degrade the shading (not just the resolution) the further you get from the focal point, and VRSS increase the shading at the focal point, having also the possibility to adjust the gain depending on the gpu load).

6 Likes

Absolutely, i will test that, probably this weekend together with some other stuff.

6 Likes