TestHMD: a new 'Real o Virtual' tool to measure HMD

Those numbers match what @risa2000 says is reported through the rendering pipeline as far as I remember.

EDIT: Here’s the post:
https://community.openmr.ai/t/all-the-parallel-fovs-of-pimax-5k/18700

Small FOV
Total horizontal FOV = atan_left(left eye) + atan_right(right eye)
= 60.14° + 60.14° = 120.28°
Stereo overlap = atan_right(left eye) + atan_left(right eye)
= 43.39° + 43.39° = 86.78°

Normal FOV
Total horizontal FOV = 70.14° + 70.14° = 140.28°
Stereo overlap = 43.39° + 43.39° = 86.78°

Large FOV
Total horizontal FOV = 80.14° + 80.14° = 160.28°
Stereo overlap = 43.39° + 43.39° = 86.78°

3 Likes

It might not matter where you stand, sit or lie, but you still may be wrong. It is not possible to see a bigger FOV than what the headset supports, so if you do, you are measuring it wrong (or the test is not correct).

2 Likes

I think FOV can be a bit sub-objective-individual, depending on external factors:

1. IPD user’s (as well as his individual eye fit)
  2. The type and thickness of the faceplate.

But this is literally a small difference between different users should be (in my opinion)

I will try to do an FOV test without a face pad. (as close as possible eyes to the lens)

1 Like

Hi, risa.

The test is just as simple as it sounds: a protractor, a pole at both sides and your head locked to 0º. There’s no magic nor maths inside. If 0º - 45º - 90º - 180º matches with the real position of your hands outside, and everything is linear: 1m inside is 1m outside, 1º inside is 1º outside, it should be pretty accurate. Please, let me know if you need a key to test it.

My 5k+ (and 3 others more) gave me angles inside your limits, btw. Who is having angles outside those limits?

Regards.

3 Likes

It would be nice to see some index results , anyone ?

1 Like

Index: hF:94 vF:115 and .50 of contrast

2 Likes

That is, we can say that the index is quite close to small FOV Pimax…
But still he did not catch up :beers::upside_down_face:

1 Like

must be using the standard face cushion with some eye relief to only see 94 hF

1 Like

Yep. I’d rather prefer that. This table I’m doing is about what to expect out of the box, without any diy.

2 Likes