TestHMD: a new 'Real o Virtual' tool to measure HMD

This app is not about fixing the headset, sorry… that’s something impossible because I can’t do a custom firmware (I’ll be working for Pimax if that was the case). But it is to know the limits of the unit and compare it with another headsets.

Regards!

3 Likes

I didn’t mean a hardware fix, I meant software that gave you an image that enabled you to ensure your ipd and lens have best alignment and focus.

3 Likes

With pimax having monitor like adjustments though maybe fine tune displays?

2 Likes

In that case, yes. This app will let you modify the brightness and the contrast of two different patterns. The aberration zone is done specially to allow you to detect them, along with a sweet spot test pattern. I guess that with the next generation of headsets and eye tracking we could write software to move the screens to match the perfect IPD, until then, I really think that TestHMD is the way to go (not necessarily my app).

5 Likes

Fine! :beers::+1:
I could not stand it and have already acquired TestHMD, because I need such a program, because I like to compare the characteristics of the HMD, and to learn about them all that is possible.

Already looked there - it looks great, there is such a big room, in which there are a lot of interesting tests, apparently.
(As I understand it, this is a significantly enhanced version of the ROV Test)

Unfortunately, the gamepad and keyboard do not work there …
I hope Pimax will send us a Sword Sense soon … So many games and applications are idle in the library.

In any case, thank you so much for the wonderful testing program, I will definitely study it when the controllers arrive :sunglasses:

5 Likes

Okay that is cool.
I have issues with my HMD at the moment so can’t use but will certainly use this in the future.
Good luck!

3 Likes

Hi.

On the next update of the app I want to add a panel with all the results between headsets. Those of you who have tried the app could you share your results in order to complete the chart? I need the hFov and vFov of whatever headset you have along with the result of the contrast test For this one you have to find the Contrast value JUST playing with the contrasts buttons (- +). It’s about to see all the black boxes, specially the one on the upper left corner. RiftS is 0.6, Lenovo is 0.45…

Thanks in advance!

6 Likes

Where is it? 2020202020

Korgen, the SteamVR Workshop is free. The paid one is just 3.99€, but if you can’t buy it, I’m giving free keys to people really interested in it.

Being said that, I would really appreciate some Pimax 8K results to complete the chart. I’ve the 5K+ myself but not the 8K.

Regards

4 Likes

oh ok, it’s the workshop one ^^
Sry but I don’t find it very ergonomic, especially for fov measures but I think I’ll try the paid one :wink:

3 Likes

If you need a free key, ask for it! The new app is way ahead the Steam one. Complete revamped and properly done for VR with all the Unreal glories.

4 Likes

Today I received Vive controllers :sunglasses:
Just checked FOV in Pimax 8K. :clap:

hFOV: Large - 160, Normal - 142, Small - 122.

vFOV: 110 (and I had to unscrew the vertical adjustment in PiTOol by +7 for both eyes. Otherwise, the upper red ball went out of view up much faster than the lower one)

My IPD is 65mm.
Face Pad 11mm thick.

6 Likes

Will this help calibrating the vertical offset? Making adjustments and anecdotally deciding ‘is this better’ isn’t working for me(and also leads to eyestrain). Could I get a key? If this helps with IPD(H/V) and color calibration, I would be glad to pay for the itchio version.

Gcode, send me a private to receive one, please :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks. This goes to the table right now!

2 Likes

I just tried it and wondered if when in the fov tubes you should have the marker in the dead center when you look directly down as I have done or are we supposed to stand on the circle on the floor ?
OG vive ( gear lens mod with minuscule face cushion) just got 106 hz and 126 vertical , this is measured to the point that the marks are no longer discernible or noticeable in the field of view.
Also the upper ball dissapeared just before the lower on in the vive
I will test the vive pro and pimax too next

2 Likes

As I understand it, the image is static in the FOV test.
Therefore, I think it does not matter where you stand, sit or lie :beers: :wink:

3 Likes

Just did the vive pro with gear lens mod and minuscule face cushion ( Actually just cushion at the sides as the cusion is cut away in the center to get the old eyeballs right in there )
Horizontal was 106 and vertical was 130

2 Likes

Yes your right I just checked it and it follows head movement in all directions , that’s why he tells you to keep head still lest you get sick .

3 Likes

Interesting for me with the pimax
I get 120 horizontal (oval image) on small and 122 vertical
and I get 140 on normal ( oval image ) but not with the image filling all the corners in view
large has 160 horiz and fills the corners of the screens with image
I have 68 ipd , and am using super thin face cushion ,

3 Likes