Sword Sense Cancelled?! WTF!

How much is the sword refund?

4 Likes

Hopellly this means pimax is redirecting resources from their controllers to a new headset. Personally I am not even sure why people are interested in pimax controllers, I find the index controllers good enough.

An improved 8kx coming our way, now THAT would be interesting!

1 Like

I think you should read the Article as it seems correct save some maybe reading between the lines

https://gaminghybrid.com/news/2021/09/27/pimaxs-sword-lite-controllers-available-in-october-vrfocus/

“Currently, it looks like Pimax has dropped the Sword Sense model”

But yes Sword Stick Lite should be a priority.

1 Like

For the touchpad, very useful in some games, but without finger tracking I can keep using Wands

I agree, wireless module would also be interesting

2 Likes

It is the lack of buttons that has me curious. I can’t see how that will even be workable in some games.

2 Likes

They have parity with the Wands. So any game that can use wands should be able to use Sword Lite controllers. There is also mode shifting to consider.

Clickable trackpad like the steamcontroller also gives it for example 5 clickables similar to d pad idea.

I get that. Wands are useless in more complex situations too.They are first gen controllers. Over time our steering wheels, HOTAS, gamepads and such have gotten more complex for a reason.

1 Like

@PimaxUSA
There is another correction in the vrfocus article that states that the hardware is built but software is not up to par. It implies that it’s being released as lite controllers but software still needs optimization. Which exactly is it?

Edit: Unless the point of that correction was to clarify how pimax didnt just drop the work for sense completely without having tried. Pimax trying to save their own pathetic face?

1 Like

I believe the lite reference is simply meaning it is that is lite to what was being aimed for originally aimed for.

So your edit seems more likely.

Have no idea, but…

Have no idea, but:

We can refund you about the controllers.
But as for backer:
Because the refund is for backers from Kickstarter, half of the service fee, 4% of the refund, will be charged by Kickstarter and the other 4% will be paied by Pimax.
FYI: If you paid by Credit card there probably will be a service fee charged by the bank. A service fee will be charged by PayPal regarding the refund after 6 months.Pls kindly be noted that this is same for all the backers.
We hope you can understand.
If no problem,please provide us with your Paypal account.

1 Like

I heard it’s 150usd minus the fees

1 Like

A simple solution is to refund via etransfer. I can’t speak for other regions but here is $1.50 cad.

Imho no fees should be deducted except maybe etransfer fee. Or as a compromise a $25 coupon for the deduction say via paypal. If similar to lighthouse iirc customer from ks received $132 :us:? So give $25 coupon would be fair to cover the less than full refund. Especially since iirc shipping cost was $10.

1 Like

But honestly the last evolution in motion controllers was Nintendo’s success with the Wii and then sony expanding that to optical tracking. Kinect in a way.

Even Joysticks can be a step back. Something you can do with the wands that doesn’t work with these newer ideas is more the mounting ideas. Ie the flight stick mounts. Now in theory the trackers can be a fall back attached to peripherals.

If it wasn’t for maybe some flaws with potentially having issues with haptic ms a trackball might even have some benefits.

Tbh until the wands and Steamcontroller would never have considered a trackpad any use in gaming due to trying to use one in place of a mouse on a laptop.

Did You just come up with yet another product name, Dan…? :rofl:

2 Likes

Wasn’t looking for an evolution, Just not a devolution. For what I play, I want ABXY buttons and a stick at the very least. There will come a day when those thing may be thought quaint but for now they are supported by those who occupy the most influence in VR. Oculus, Valve, Sony, HP and pretty much all the major hmd makers except Vive (and they certainly haven’t evolved their controller) use ABXY and sticks.
Far be it from me to tell Pimax what is trending when all the guys with the money have made their choice.

1 Like

I’m crossing my fingers that this isn’t the case. My VR Ears just shipped as well, I guess I’ll compare them.

4 Likes

Mode shifting and clickable trackpad. All buttons are available. Htc still seems to be selling wands even without a refresh. They could have easily switched to a stick and added buttons.

If pimax even enable partial finger sense these could be used as presence buttons.

And as said they could easily slap a stick in place of the trackpad and put a couple if bump buttons to squeeze without sense.

I have yet to see a review about the Vive Pro 3 celebrating the fact that HTC stuck with trackpads. In fact every review seems to note that as a negative.

(EDIT: In fact , lets not pretend that HTC stuck with trackpads there because they thought it was better, they stuck with them because they were cheapskates, the entire vive pro 3 is the same shell as the vive pro 2 for the same reason)

The Vive Focus 3’s controller is praised. Man if that controller worked with lighthouses i’d pay $300 for them right now.

But the fact is there still selling. So while many may criticize there must still be a market otherwise they would have re released the wands to be like pimax’s v1 wand controller with an extra button or 2.

Hell even the psmove+psnav fusion idea looked cool.

As for focus 3 unless it is crippled you could likely slap a tracker on them with 3 variations to choose from.

Are they selling or are they only being used because they come with the headset?