SweViver's X-Plane 11 VR video - Off topic: Heated discussion of desire for more through-the-lens shots

Then you agree @SweViver is not protecting anyone from any truth as they are free to explore things themselves.

I am sorry for misunderstanding this as it would mean we are in agreement & folks will explore things without demanding someone be their guide.

1 Like

[quote=“EnerelStain, post:27, topic:9255”]…it’s good, but could your do 2-3 picture to photo throught the lense for compare image quality not only from your expressive experience and capture picture?
[/quote]
As has been stated in the past, getting good through-the-lens shots is difficult, time-consuming, and isn’t actually all that representative of what you will see, when you personally look into the headset. Why? Because a camera is quite different from a human eye. To do this well requires expensive equipment, not a standard camera.

4 Likes

absolutely not! But why is it so difficult to understand the written text? English is not my native language either, and I have to work hard to write it, but it’s not difficult to read.

Have you read what he just wrote?

"Now a whole bunch of people thinks Pimax has worse SDE than OG Vive lol.
That was the result of my macro video. Hence the reason i regret I even
made it."

I don’t contest the fact, he’s perfectly right, people had an absurd reaction.

but I don’t think it’s right to regret it. The blame for ignorance lies with the people, not with himself. His information was correct and neutral, he didn’t give it any wrong meaning.

many smart people have definitely understood the meaning of that information, while worried people will still find a way to worry, you can not save them

@SweViver can post whatever content he wants. He does a great job and I don’t think anyone should be trying to dictate what he does or doesn’t show in his videos.

However there is interest for more through-the-lens comparisons that I hope someone will eventually satisfy. The latest we’ve seen (the Elite Dangerous trailer) looked pretty awful for the 5K+ and as an Elite Dangerous player does have me once again questioning if ED will look as good on the 5K+ as the 8K. It likely just looked bad because of how difficult it is to shoot through the lens, but a few more attempts by different reviewers/users could help.

That said I don’t think it’s worth retesting until the 5K+ colour temp fixes are in place.

2 Likes

In this case I would agree that providing someone with a photo or video to show the colors or contrast of a headset would mean providing false information. This is simply not possible.

But someone just wanted to look deep into the structure of the panel, and maybe count pixels and subpixels. That, on the other hand, was possible.

Alright then. For peace and love! :slight_smile:

Pimax 8K.
Canon 24-70mm L in macro mode (switch), added 3 macro rings (9+16+30) which have no digital connection. 5472x3648 resolution. F8, ISO 400. JPEG only. 4 Images taken 10 minutes ago straight on panels, showing Pimax logo. Lens removed of course. Last 2 of these I lowered the brightness for no reason lol.

Tells me absolutely NOTHING. Looks even worse than my macro images I made before.

Looks like it was easier to come closer through the lens after all…

Alright, now at least I made an effort. I will hand over the crime scene investigartion to you :slight_smile:

Original images + all my old through-the lens stuff that was previously for Patrons only:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/10PWYWP_60qI-pdxABIahh4fGggWyag8p?usp=sharing

11 Likes

LOL, I don’t understand why they’re worse, but I appreciate the peace & love intent. :grinning::+1:

6 Likes

Btw. There is a protective glass layer right under the lens, which is several (at least more than 2) centimeters from the panel. Im not sure if its possible to reach the panels with a microscope either without taking out the protective layer. As far as I know u need to come very close to the “object” to get focus with a microscope. And Im probably not allowed to disassemble the units as they are not mine.

7 Likes

maybe (maybe) the only way is to use a long focal length 1:1 macro lens, like Canon EF 180mm Macro.

the longer is the focal lenght, the longer is the working distance, useful for those who shot flying insects and do not want to scare them

well, if it can’t be done then it can’t be done, now we know, for science :+1:

1 Like

Thank You @SweViver! Do be honest, I can understand that people are unsecure and want more information, BUT
only having both HMD’s at home for a time will solve that issue!
If I where SweViver I also would not keep making through the lens photos - what for?
The Panel structure does not change with the game – it has all been posted before. So, it is just the preference that matters in the end and the subjective impression that can guide us. Some of the musketeers use x for that, y for this, some hate y and other love x soo its all there! As far as I know, @VoodooDE makes all his Videos now with the 8k and he is fine with that – and so am I.
None of the testes or youtubers makes all the stuff for every game again and again – there is one Video when a device is new or maybe another after time, but not every experience includes a device analysis again.

4 Likes

Thanks for that!
I totally agree with that. I already made a whole topic about my opinion about zoomed and makro deep display analysis of every game with 5K and 8K.
I don’t see any sense of that and I will definitely not do that.
All testers made an in-depth analysis of the Pimax headsets and this should be enough.
Only things that are interesting (at least for me) now is the fact how different games run on the headsets and with the new 2080 Ti.
That’s why I play and record every gameplay on my channel now with a Pimax headset, WITHOUT deep analysis of the pixels and display in each video and without through the lens stuff.
It’s very interesting how some people want more information about a VR headset where I for myself wouldn’t even need that much information before buying a super expensive sports car :stuck_out_tongue:

11 Likes

He was accused for hiding, but in fact he was the one who did the most precise thru the lens photos. I dońt get why ppl want more , panels dont changed from time of last photos if my memory serves. I do prefer his performance videos as those are really informative , in contrast to a static shots from different angles.

8 Likes

from zooming, I feel the pixel look like zigzag of pimax 4k, not sure.

Oh, sorry guys, must be the wrong room - anybody know where the X-Plane 11 discussion group went to discuss that topic ? :wink:

7 Likes

Thanks very much, sweviver!

Were the photos taken with the same camera settings? Is the difference in brightness really that big?

1 Like

Now I think this is what SweViver was on about, getting things wrong, Please go back and read what SweViver is saying about the last 2 pictures.

1 Like

I never intended to question that. If you read my message carefully, you will see that I have criticized the reasons for your choice. If you’d just written, “I’m sorry, guys. No time to do this better.” I would’ve said, “Okay, you already did too much, thank you.”. But words matter and you can’t change them after you write them down. I’ve already reported what you wrote, and I’ve already said why I don’t find it fair. I don’t think there’s any point in repeating it.

1 Like

And now… without examples throught the lense…:rage:

You dont need through the lens images. Believe me it looks way better than it did on Odyssey. Which tells a lot.

Jeez that pixel peeking drama never ends :joy:

And no, there is no photo that can tell you how it looks in VR.

Just by looking at the quality of the mirror view (which the recording is made of), you can at least estimate the level of detail, resolution and aliasing compared to my previous Odyssey/Vive/Rift videos of X Plane 11VR. That tells you more than any through the lens photo.

7 Likes

Colors and blur. As it looks on your monitor, we have seen a hundred times. It’s not pixel drama.)

When you start to discuss the quality of the picture with MRTV, how do you see it in the helmet during the demonstration of your monitor, is it really so difficult to pause the game and take 2-3 photos? To insert them in the video clip for comparison? Listen to your grades and see the same picture from the monitor causing discord. In order to simply compare FOV 8k and 5k + I had to do it myself

And no more words.