Strange lens artifact

Received my crystal today and was very impressed by the image quality and performance overall.

While testing it out, however, I notice a strange artifact or defect in the image of the left lens. It’s sort of down and to the right side of the image. If I close my right eye, it disappears, so it must be caused by the left lens. It looks like a piece of fuzz, small hair or light scratch. I removed the left lens and cleaned both sides with the included cloth. I also lightly wiped the inside of the HMD. Unfortunately, it’s still there. Nothing is obvious on the lens itself.

Is this a scratch? It’s the only blemish on an otherwise very positive first impression. Any thoughts?

I did create a support ticket.

Thanks.

2 Likes

Hey,

But if it’s light scratch, it should be easy to determine from the lens.

1 Like

I really do not see anything obvious on the lens. Considering that I’ve wiped both sides with the microfiber cloth, what else could it possibly be? If I didn’t know its there, it wouldn’t be too bad, but because I’m aware of it, my eyes are constantly drawn to it and it is extremely irritating.

2 Likes

Just out of curiosity, can you manage to post some pictures of the distortion(s)?

1 Like

I will try, but I’m not sure how it will come out. You cannot actually see it on the lens and it won’t appear on the monitor image. I’ll try getting a closeup shot with my phone and see if it can be seen.

Thanks.

3 Likes

A dead pixel?
If it’s dead pixel, it’s kinda easy to spot on the lens, and able to capture through phone camera.

7 Likes

Still no reply to my support ticket. Very disappointing and ominous.

1 Like

Hello,

Could you kindly share the ticket number with me? I will then ask Julie to prompt the support team for a prompt response.

2 Likes

Five days since ticket created and no contact or communication. Totally unacceptable.

Thanks for trying to help.

1 Like

This still has not been addressed in any meaningful way. What is going on with Pimax customer support. It is virtually non-existent.

3 Likes

Hey,

Please let me take a look into the ticket and schedule a discussion with our support team.
Sorry for any inconevenience sir.

Thanks, and please do…because this is outrageous. There is no excuse.

3 Likes

Shortly after your post, I finally received a reply from someone to the ticket asking me to identify the scratch on a photo of the lens I had sent over a week ago. The problem is, I had already indicated that I can’t really pinpoint where on the lens the defect may be, other than to describe where I see the mark on the display. I responded to this message immediately, and now it has been another 48 hours with no follow up. The quality of the customer support is abysmal and I regret taking another chance on Pimax. I should not have purchased this $1500 headset. It’s a scratched lens. Just replace it. If it could be something else, make a constructive suggestion. But this process of receiving a meaningless response followed by weeks of inaction is getting nowhere and not the way to treat customers.

4 Likes

Support insists on seeing what I’m describing as the defect. Please tell me how to take a video or a screenshot of the display. As soon as I take the headset off my head to try angle my phone onto the lens to capture what I’m seeing on the display, the headset powers down and the display goes dark making this impossible.

2 Likes

Have you taken the lens off put it on a piece of white paper and looked for the scratch that way?

3 Likes

Check out all of these little marks along the bottom edge of the left lens. I can only physically see one of these on my display, but in looking closely at the lens, there appear to be many. This lens is really messed up!

![p4|375x500](upload://2qEUDaIJzEOetpL2uOhtShCn2a5.jpeg) ![p5|375x500](upload://rUyyBuRGnNtKw0iKLVWHJFIS86P.jpeg) ![p6|375x500](upload://enJNeNsw7KI1tMVoK7N6yCppW1v.jpeg)
1 Like

Good shots, definite replacement needed.

1 Like

Hopefully it will not take Pimax another two weeks to acknowledge this very obvious fact.

Maybe it’s an intended feature? :confused:

Hi,

Apologies for any inconvenience. I’ll reach out to the support team to address your issue and find a solution. With the provided picture, they should be able to quickly identify the defects and initiate the RMA process.

1 Like