Strange lens artifact

Would this not be something PIMAX QC would catch ‘prior’ to sending out the headset?

1 Like

According to Nordic Pimax are limited to 16-60 pairs of lenses a day. I bet there’s a grey area where border cracks slip through.

1 Like

Huh… I mean. It doesn’t sound like a terribly high amount of lenses to check. At least on a ‘visual’ inspection basis. There’s what is the ‘norm’ and there’s ‘abnormal’.
Just take whatever is ‘abnormal’ and run it through a few more checks to make sure no issues. If issues, it gets rejected.

Having good QC upfront will help prevent poor brand image, decrease the load on post sale customer support and reduce costs for the RMA process/shipping etc.

But what do I know. :clown_face:

I don’t disagree with you but if you start with 100 lens a day and 20 are deformed, 10 have big cracks, 10 have medium cracks and 10 have small cracks you end up with a 50% yield rate and your whole production line is held up.

Not accusing Pimax of knowingly sending out duff lenses but those with small cracks might add 10% to Pimaxes output and returns.

In a time when Pimax have a small window of opportunity before BSB and XTAL 4 and the VR1 launch I think quantity might rule over quality because lenses can be swapped out at a later date when demand dips.

1 Like

That was my initial thought too. Something like this should never get passed QC. I saw the defect on the display almost immediately when I put the headset on for the first time. I will say that I did not see the marks on the lens until I held it over a white piece of paper and zoomed in with the camera of my phone.

Equally concerning as the poor QC is the extremely poor customer service response. After providing the photos, the initial response was this:

“Thank you for the material you have provided. Please wait while we analyze your logs to try to find the problem.“

Excuse me, what? Then I received a follow up response stating:

“Sorry, please ignore the last email, we are checking the information you provided to take the next step.”

There is no information to check. The lens is defective. Replace the lens. By the time this gets sorted out, the 12k will be released.

3 Likes

I mean, you have some point on this. But it’s completely irrelevant to the end consumer who’s plopping down the $$. We can’t rightly know yet if this is a RARE thing or a 10% thing, 20% etc. Perhaps Jarhead’s experience is an extremely rare one, and for everyone’s sake I hope it is. Sucks to be Jarhead in this situation. I feel for him.
The only way we’ll know is if more and more people post on these forums, their discord, reddit, make YouTube videos etc.

1 Like

Makes me wonder how hard it is to make the wider FOV lenses with an even more extreme curve.

2 Likes

What is wrong with the lens? From your description so far, it is not at clear. I mean, I believe you that your observation is authentic, you see something which you believe is a defect, but whether it is a defect on the lens, or the defect on the display or some dust anywhere (on the lens or the display) is hard to say.

The “defect” you observed at the lens edge looks more like a dust (threads of)

Did you mean the right lens, or the left eye and which one you cleared?

1 Like

You think the marks in the photos I posted look like “dust”? That’s odd. They clearly look like defects to me. I’ve cleaned, re-cleaned and re-re-cleaned this lens with a microfiber cloth. Its not dust.

Sorry…I meant if I close my left eye, the defect disappears, meaning it must be a problem with the left lens.

1 Like

What I am trying to say is that it may look (from your description or your photos) differently than what you observe directly and it is hard to discuss it here. And again, I am not trying to argue, but the “hair” on the photo looks like dust - whether it is some dust or a defect is impossible to tell.

2 Likes

Well, it doesn’t take an engineering degree to realize that if you wipe it and its still there, it probably isn’t dust, no?

He mean layer cracks. Between glass lens and its coatings.

Just received word from support that the lens needs to be replaced. They will ship “as soon as possible”.

5 Likes

Glad they concur. Can’t tell for sure but since you wiped the lens and the suspected hair didn’t move it seems and does appear they could be pressure cracks. from mounting the lens into it’s frame. Just a thought. In any case would be nice to hear their conclusions @PimaxQuorra

2 Likes

If it disappears when you close your right eye, its the right lens.

1 Like

I know. We covered this already. It was a typo. See above 8/16, post 28.

Well folks, the new lens arrived yesterday and upon inspection it did not have any of those lines around the edges so the old lens definitely seemed damaged. i installed the new lens and was really excited when in the Pimax “moonscape” I was not able to find the old mark. I thought the problem had been solved! Sadly, once I loaded DCS and was able to look around with a brighter background, there it was. The same mark in the same spot. Ugh!

What now? Where could this defect be located? Is it on the panel in the HMD behind the lens? I’m really at a loss and so disappointed that the new lens did not solve the issue. It makes me not even want to use the headset. A $1500 paperweight. This is terrible.

We need pictures without the lenses attached.

1 Like

How do I get a clear picture of the inside of the headset where you could possibly see the source of the defect, particularly if it is a very small hairline crack or scratch?

I would just send it back to Pimax and let them sort it. There’s only so much you can do.