Star Wars Tie Fighter & X-Wing Alliance VR mod!

I’ve tried the XWAU VR-mod in January already, and I had performance issues, too, with my Ryzen 5600X and my 3080.
After having read through the XWAU VR topics and discussed it with the programmer/modder, on the one side, it is XWA engine related: XWA as being based originally on DirectX 6.0 only and having been capped to 30 FPS at the time being (2000), simply isn’t designed for VR and headsets which need 60, 75 or 90 FPS/Hz in order not to stutter.
Second, blue_max himself (the programmer) doesn’t have and play in VR! - apparently, from as far as I understood, he “simply” is extrapolating from TrackIR and therefore cannot test and verify performance and tracking issues directly himself:

Nevertheless and even more a great job.
But I admit, having only between 20 and 35 FPS in XWAU-VR with headtracking jitter causes some motion sickness to me after 10-15 minutes… So besides the first “Wow-great :star_struck: :partying_face:”-effect not really fully enjoyable to me… :neutral_face:

3 Likes

Oh wow, I had no idea that the modder hasn’t even played in VR. Thankfully I’ve never had any issues with motion sickness in any game no matter what the framerate does so I’ve played a few hours of it so far. The DX6 thing does explain the framerate drops though. I have been able to make it playable by going down to small FOV and turning on smart smoothing with my 8KX though. My framerate hiccups only seem to happen when getting close to laser blasts and when some complicated structures are on-screen. This would be a really incredible experience if the performance could be ironed out better though.

1 Like

Im going to try adding fsr to it. It seems to work wonders in DCS.

Edit: So the FSR mod crashes XWUA right away.

But… it doesn’t crash Tie Fighter.

I guess not surprising considering Tie Fighter is newer.

Major update, I was paying attention to the discord. And the modders have fixed the issue with the jittery hud and latency in the cockpit. The new file is updated on the mod page here

Effects by Blue Max’s Version 2021-07-17

4 Likes

Thanks for the post…look forward to checking it out later this evening

1 Like

Yep, just checked out the updated mod and performance was much better…this was even after I had mistakenly run the game with PP on.

2 Likes

Here is post on Reddit might be mod creator?

Looks great.

2 Likes

I’ll check it out when I am back from my vacation.
Thx :slight_smile:

1 Like

This also has me excited but it’s not out yet. XWVM

1 Like

Now if only we could get The Wing Commander Series.

2 Likes

I’d take a freelancer remake first.

And yes I know about the mods. Im thinking a remake with cockpit, hotas controls, VR and Ian Ziering.:grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

But I agree, it would be good to blow up some Kh’aak again. (Tee hee).

1 Like

Much better than before: the cockpit movement is not slide show any more.
I like this game now. Maybe I need to fit settings more, as now too many stars are making me dizzy.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Huge update incoming. They managed to get the game from being CPU rendered to GPU rendered boosting framerates immensely.

This is on top of the latest VR mod which implemented a new mechanism to map the camera movement to the HMD eliminating the Jitter that was there before.

Good Times.

7 Likes

Awesome! Just remember with these topics to Open them with the wrench. :beers::wink::+1::sparkles:

That sounds good. I reran XWA and unfortunately some of the time it runs like s**t because it’s CPU bound, making the high res texture packs etc disappointingly limited.

2 Likes

oh, I didn’t know I had to do that. :blush:

Now if we could only get the Rogue Squadron Trilogy Remade and VR’ified I’d be in heaven.

Speaking of which, Dolphin has a SBS stereo mode that will work for those games

and then theres DolphinVR build that might be even better. I will have to try these immediately. :slight_smile:

1 Like

It is part of the reason you get a warning about replying to a closed topic. As lower lvl members cannot reply.

1 Like

I guess that makes sense, if I open it then the warning would go away.

Sometimes I think it makes sense to reopen a relevant topic when updates come in as opposed to starting new ones.

Especially since the information might be pertinent to people who were involved in the older conversation.

1 Like