STAR WARS: Squadrons Discussion

Yeah totally understand. I can play in bursts when it’s not happening, or turn off MS and get about 55-60FPS.

But it can kick in any time, sp or mp, and then needs a restart. Definitely an engine bug, because you can play a new sp scenario and it lags, then restart and replay and it’s fine.

another update, fixes aviator which is a big deal for me but no mention about ugly stars or canted screens/parallel projection in the notes :frowning_face:

i do see this: Squadrons on Steam now has native Oculus mode support! : StarWarsSquadrons

does that mean there’s a project cars 2 style appid.txt trick we could try to play it without pp? (i know that trick is broken in the newest pitool, but maybe)

2 Likes

Huge update, but no mention of the low res stars. :frowning_face: What a shame, looks unlikely to be fixed at this point.

1 Like

That would be awesome.

Bummer on the stars, but honestly this is a HUGE patch. They fixed my issues with stutter after ~10 minutes, fixed the 60hz locked animations and I can now enjoy the game with both pimax and link. I honestly bet if you push on the forums for prettier stars they will add a setting. So far the devs have been stellar with post launch support (esp. coming from EA). If not, that seems like an easy mod? I have high hopes for the multiplayer scene with this game if they continue to release patches and QOL improvements.

2 Likes

Not that I have delved into it much but the update was nice.

Waiting still for non PP for canted screens. At the moment though I am only banging through the training stuff coming to grips with controls and how best to set up HOTAS or stick with X-Box controller.

Distant stars - too busy dodging X-Wings and dying to notice ))

Guys please ghelp to enjoy !
I cant play!
When PP is off i am having double vision( not synch both eyes)
When i ON PP its sync both eyes but right lens is darker and low quality…
Also please advice settings for 2080 RTX

Just discovered VKB after complaining for years that virpils are too expensive and never in stock. I was surprised the price is not bad and the quality and modularity is the similar.

So I just picked up a pair of VKB Gladiator NXT’s . I can’t wait

And i have the TWCS throttle which is the best throttle ever. I have used all other throttles from x52, to x56, and they dont compare. The TWCS has a control on each finger and 3 hats on your thumb and a little joystick and yaw control axis. all in a perfectly sized package.

FYI since Pimax also uses Fedex if you want full visibility on shipping. I signed up for fedex insight and i got a notification that my gladiators are being picked up for shipping today. With Tracking number.

I wish I had this before I ordered anything from Pimax, as they dont tend to give you tracking info until it arrives on your doorstep.

3 Likes

Enjoy! I’m very happy with mine and the TWCS. I have a different base by the looks of it.

I reckon the Premium version of the grip was worth it, gives an additional 2 way trigger (good for weapon or mode cycling, or special weapons / missiles), and a four way thumb switch (good for counter measure options).

I’m not convinced about the one analogue-feeling thumbstick (other two are digital), because it actually gives a digital response in the OS so the extra travel seems unhelpful. But Premium gives you a spare hat and the digital mini-PCB so it can be opened up and swapped out if you really want.

3 Likes

yeah it looks feature complete.

I can finally sell most of these.

6 Likes

Why a pair ? One Joystick is all you need :thinking:

1 Like

Dual sticks are quite popular. HOSAS vs HOTAS

1 Like

Look up HOSAS.

I prefer dual stick for descent clones. Like overload and and sublevel zero

as well as Star Citizen.

Elite I actually prefer Throttle and stick, but that may change now that these sticks actually have buttons. I’ll actually probably go HOTASAS (Hands on Throttle and Stick plus Stick)

Binding lateral movements to the left stick and rotational to the right stick … Only using the throttle for maintaining cruise speed.

In elite if I switch to Flight Assist Off I would jump to the dual stick for fine control.

here’s a good video on what it looks like

3 Likes

Does anyone have graphics settings that will get 75fps native in Star Wars Squadrons and looks good too? Please share!

1 Like

You probably need to mention which GPU You’ve got too… :wink:

1 Like

Not sure it’s going to matter, with PP being necessary for Squadrons, even a 3090 may not manage 75FPS native :wink:

2 Likes

Sorry it’s a 3090/9900ks@5.0/32gb@4000/m.2

I can get 75fps with PP on, but it seems like when i put all the vr graphic settings to high and i tried a tutorial with AI, i was falling to 60-65fps in a busy scene… I had it at 75fps during the story mode with my 2080Ti, but since then i wiped my pc and installed a 3090 so i cant remember what settings i had previously.

Currently, I’m on Normal FOV, pitool 1.0, steamVR SS 80%.

i’m primarily interested in seeing which VR in-Game graphic settings are the hardest on fps.

2 Likes

Shadow quality was the one which hit FPS hardest, from monitoring via FPSVR and going through all settings one by one.

2 Likes

I was checking in fpsVR during the gameplay but when i changed some options it didnt look like it changed anything while I was in game, so i was wondering if restarts are needed for the game to see any changes… Keep in mind i didnt change the shadow quality.

2 Likes

What would you think is the next hardest on fps after shadow quality?

1 Like