STAR WARS: Squadrons Discussion

Heads up, looks like some players having luck unlocking the steam preload early.

EDIT: It appears to work. I shut down steam following my preload, changed my VPN connection on my computer to New Zealand (and also changed my VPN on my phone to NZ, apparently it checks my phone too as Authentication it is me)… fired up steam again, and the game is unpacking. Sweet.

Bummed about PP needing to be enabled. Performance on my 1080ti and 8KX is likely going to be poor.

Are you playing on an 8KX?

Yes. I was playing on my 8KX. Will try again tomorrow.
Hope to hear some good results and maybe tweaks from others :slight_smile:

ok, sounds like a game, especially for potato tie pilots. The rebellion kicked in the a** always…

Where is my f-14?!

Interesting article regarding the need for a patch (as usual) Star Wars: Squadrons impressions: A heavy asterisk at launch for PC players [Updated] | Ars Technica

I felt like I was on the coolest Disney amusement park ride of my life.” - that’s a pretty awesome statement though. I can’t wait to try it out.

3 Likes

It’s the modern philosophy of life though…seeking happiness? Wait for a patch

(it is definitely one of the reasons why I’m happy not being an early adopter for much these days)

3 Likes

Interesting counter-point: Norm from tested apparently able to play on index at 150%ss at 120/144 hz on a 2070 super with all VR specific settings maxxed out… still hope :slight_smile:

Star Wars: Squadrons VR Gameplay Review! - YouTube

5 Likes

Yeah, we truly won’t know for sure until we run it ourselves. I’m bordering on it running ok, but being a bit rough at times. At least until a performance patch is released.

2 Likes

Man, i’m tempted to preorder this now. Been dreaming about something like this since I was a kid!

My credit card has melted into a puddle though after buying the 3090. Might have to wait a bit.

3 Likes

Haha tell me about it. It burned a hole through my wallet too :persevere: :weary: :laughing:

have burn 20000 dollar on my rig :grimacing:

My wallet is crying

1 Like

Share any photos of it?

1 Like

ye sure , can take som photos later

1 Like

Parallel projections definitely needed? What does “seems” mean?

I can confirm: parallel projections needed. Unlocked through VPN.

There is an issue which causes the rendering to feel choppy, even when running on full panel refresh rates. Had to lower a lot of settings on my 8K-X though to get there, something like 2600 vertical resolution, plus some eye candy turned low.

1 Like

I’m kinda pissed about that, may have to just play on my Index, but it’ll be tough to let go of that sweet resolution. What FOV are you playing on?

Normal. Index also seems to have the rate issue so all you skip is parallel projection.

1 Like

Rate issue? I usually play on Small so maybe it’ll be a bit better. I play games at like 60-70% SteamVR SS on non-parallel and that’s acceptable, which is what SteamVR recommends. I get this with Parallel…maybe it’ll be ok…

Did you mean the skipping? Have you updated your GPU drivers? There was a Squadrons driver released this week.

1 Like

Just tried the first mission, will have to come back to it tomorrow. Seemed to run OK and look pretty good on the X with standard PT 1, FFR and SS On. Haven’t adjusted any gfx details yet, just configured the HOTAS. Didn’t see any skipping but I’ll grab the new driver.

1 Like